• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Free to a good home, a Red bone Coonhound

Free to a good home - 3yr, almost 4yr old Red Bone Coon Hound named Penny.
Life changes and we find we can no longer properly maintain our dog. She is high spirit, high energy, loves people.
Loves to run !!!!
She has some training, is crate trained, fixed and has a microchip.
We got her from a shelter. We think she is a pure bred, but have no papers.
Gets along with other dogs, but not cats. A home with older children is probably best.

Attachments

• IMG_20170923_161019907.jpg
    IMG_20170923_161019907.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_20170923_161056939.jpg
    IMG_20170923_161056939.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 446
  • 20160711_193320.jpg
    20160711_193320.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 429
I would bet she is a pure bred. I had a pure bred redbone that lived to 14 and your dog could be the twin.

Could very well be a purebred looks to have no white patch of hair on the chest the less the better. We had a redbone most beautiful dog you will ever see and very smart. They are a handful though and usually need a friend as they are packdogs and function better with a friend. We miss our counter surfing redbone and they require a lot of patience so you need to take this under consideration.
Ours would open the kitchen cabinet with his nose, pull the glass jar with screw on lid with cat food in it out to the floor, then he would unscrew the lid with his nose and dump the food on the floor. When a redbone is hungry he will find a way to eat.

If you have not found a home for her by July, I may be able to pick her up and take her to a loving home with a warm bed and a few hundred acres to run around near her native territory. Let me know and I'll look in to it.

Could very well be a purebred looks to have no white patch of hair on the chest the less the better. We had a redbone most beautiful dog you will ever see and very smart. They are a handful though and usually need a friend as they are packdogs and function better with a friend. We miss our counter surfing redbone and they require a lot of patience so you need to take this under consideration.
Ours would open the kitchen cabinet with his nose, pull the glass jar with screw on lid with cat food in it out to the floor, then he would unscrew the lid with his nose and dump the food on the floor. When a redbone is hungry he will find a way to eat.
We have a treeing walker coonhound we took as a rescue from Kentucky. His mom turned up at a recycling plant pregnant......she had been shot in the back......assumed to have been shot by her owner and she escaped. It's a common occurrence in the South.......dogs that don't hunt well are just shot. Anyway.......the workers at the recycling plant cared for her for a bit and then turned her over to a rescue group that brought her and her pups to New England and all were adopted even the mom. She has a bullet lodged near her spine but is recovering well. Our pup is a year old now. Awesome pet......yes a handful......but we've trained him pretty well. We enjoy his company and he goes everywhere with me. Most coonhound breeds are headstrong and smart.....but with the right training they are great companions.

Life changes and we find we can no longer properly maintain our dog.

Thats too bad. I was taught that a dog is family, and family isnt optional. May I suggest learning how to best be her human rather than find another human to replace you. She was put in your life for a reason. She’s also beautiful.

Thats too bad. I was taught that a dog is family, and family isnt optional. May I suggest learning how to best be her human rather than find another human to replace you. She was put in your life for a reason. She’s also beautiful.
^ this....I don't want to pile on or be a dick to the OP but these threads rub me the wrong way. Dog's aren't disposable.

I'm in the final round of interviews for a job out in CA, have a new baby coming in August. Potential for a cross country move, new job, second child at same time and getting rid of my dog never even entered consideration. BUT, for all we know, the OP could have some profound and catastrophic life event going on so I will reserve judgment.

Hopefully it works out and you find a good home for her.

Just my 2 cants but let's be careful with the accusations. I had a beautiful Siberian husky when I first got married. High energy beautiful dog. Loved her beyond belief. I got activated for Iraq 3 months after my son was born. Wife was just not able to exercise her the way she needed with me deployed for over a year. My wife tried......boy did she try. If I had been home I would have been taking her on runs and such to keep her exercised but wife couldnt do all that and take care of the house and an infant all by herself. Tough decision ......but we got with a husky rescue group and re homed her. She ended up with a great couple in Rhode island and we kept in contact with them for many years until she died of cancer at the age of 13.

Sometimes the best decision for the dog is a new home. Should be the last resort though.

Don't be so quick to pass judgement onto OP.
I had an Irish Jack Russell that we bought and fully outfitted for two houses at a cost of over $3K. The dog was just an idiot. Crapped in cage, flung crap from inside her cage onto white walls, crapped on the rug 3 minutes after coming in from outside. Long story but in the end that dog was not coming back to Mass with us from Maine. I was on the edge of just putting a bullet in it. Already talked to the breeder in Scarboro who was less than helpful and was going to retrain her. In the end we did had a friend in Maine who still has her. Dog is still a terror and mostly untrainable.

FWIW I researched OP's breed and quickly realized it might not be a good fit for us but it is one very good looking dog.

There are happy endings. My wife and I were not really in the dog market five years ago but we heard through my niece that a young couple she knew were looking for somebody to adopt their American Bulldog. They just had a kid and both worked full time and did not have the time for said dog. I knew nothing about the breed but my wife and I drove down to take a look. Love at first sight. He will be nine this June and none of us have looked back. Like I tell my friends it is good to be Gunner.
IMG_0227.JPG

Last edited:
Great news and going with other dogs to boot just what a coonhound needs. We got a second dog just to be with the coonhound and it worked wonders he was just happier.

Good for you, Jimnasium.
Great line from a song by the late Tom Petty;
"If I come to your door, let me sleep on your floor
I'll give you all I have and a little more".

congrats on the new pup. I would have jumped all over it if she was cat friendly. It took almost a year for our lab rescue to stop terrorizing the cat, didn't want to put him through it again, but would love another dog in the house

Thanks. That was the right move. Ive had coonhounds in the past and the majority are without question , a No cats type of dog.

For anyone that was interested in how Penny is doing ,Shes doing fantastic. She was a little nervous and confused for a couple of days . By the end of the first 2 weeks she was really fitting in. My other 2 dogs have completely accepted her. She is smaller than the other 2 by about 25-30 lbs but isn't intimidated by then and plays just as rough. It can be a little loud and crazy around here but well worth it . She's a great dog and already a part of the family.

Awesome news jimnasium! We have four 50-60 lb pups, I completely understand the times when it can get loud and the play rough. But they all have great lives and enjoy each other. Glad your pups were accepting. Thanks for the update and opening up your home to Penny.

Back
Top Bottom