Friend didn't renew his LTC

Sorry if this has been brought up before, couldn't find anything in the search. A friend of mine didn't renew his LTC and has been expired for a year or so. He has a firearm in his possession, could someone else that does have a valid LTC hold it for him til he gets a new LTC? Would if need to be transferred to the valid LTC holder by FFL?

to be transferred they would have to go thru a FFl as a FA-10 requires a valid permit.

IMHO a friend could hold them, but could not let him have possession in MA.

why even talk about it , let alone post about it on a public forum ?
Chill. He didn't post the dudes name addres ssn.
It's not that bad and you can talk about it in order to find the proper information and handle the situation. He's not just talking about it for gossip reasons.

Some FFLs will hold the gun until he gets his LTC back. Otherwise, have him take you and the guns and bring it to an FFL and transfer it to your name.
Or he could surrender it to your local PD :confused: (not what I would recommend but if you guys can’t work something out...)

Does he plan on getting raided anytime soon? No

Then reapply and wait for it to come in.. I wouldn't be worried about it.

Sorry if this has been brought up before, couldn't find anything in the search. A friend of mine didn't renew his LTC and has been expired for a year or so. He has a firearm in his possession, could someone else that does have a valid LTC hold it for him til he gets a new LTC? Would if need to be transferred to the valid LTC holder by FFL?
Two things I would do: 1: Park the firearm with a friend in New Hampshire until he gets his license renewed 2: Rent a safe deposit box at a bank and keep the firearm there until he is renewed.

As stated a friend could hold it for him.
The only reason i am contributing is to pose a scenario question.
I believe if a FFL were to hold it, he would have to transfer it back to the owner once he got his license back. Background check and everything.
Let say this firearm is a not-on-the-list item, would he not be able to get it back?

why even talk about it , let alone post about it on a public forum ?

Relax...

I'm just curious as to what the situation should end up being.. he isn't concerned really, I'm just wondering since he mentioned it to me. IANAL, but my interpretation is you can "borrow" a firearm for any length of time, per fed law. So it shouldn't be wrong for a valid LTC holder to "borrow" it til he gets his back..

Two things I would do: 1: Park the firearm with a friend in New Hampshire until he gets his license renewed 2: Rent a safe deposit box at a bank and keep the firearm there until he is renewed.

A safe deposit box to which he has access is still possession in MA.

Friend should have someone with an LTC bring them (with him) to an FFL and transfer them ASAP. If the guns were ever FA-10ed and the PD notice them when he applies for his new LTC, he'll get a knock on the door. At that point the only thing the PD will believe is paperwork from the FFL. And he can forget about getting an LTC if that knock happens. My point is, there is a very high risk and a very low reward (saving $) to him keeping them. Anyone who has taken that risk and been jammed up will agree but they're probably not on NES, most here will say I'm being paranoid.

damn you guys freak out over the stupidest things . just tell him to re apply and forget about freaking out . geez

Spot on!!

Nothing wrong with having a LTC-holder hold onto it until he gets his LTC if he's nervous about it.

As stated a friend could hold it for him.
The only reason i am contributing is to pose a scenario question.
I believe if a FFL were to hold it, he would have to transfer it back to the owner once he got his license back. Background check and everything.
Let say this firearm is a not-on-the-list item, would he not be able to get it back?

An FFL has to put it on his books and in that case the FFL is now the "owner" and transfer back to the <prior> owner requires all the regular BS . . . EOPS List and AG Regs compliant. Absolutely the stupidest thing that I could think of doing.

NO reason for moving it out of state, bank deposit box, storage facility, etc. Just don't do it.

All the guy needs to do is reapply, that's it.
As long as his LTC is only expired then having his guns at home is a civil penalty not criminal. With the AG and the courts arguing you can have a firearm in the home without an LTC, it would be tough to do a lot more than a fine.

Reapply, have a beer and move on without further thought.

ICBW although I think the AG would interrupt MGL as taking possession of his stuff is considered a transfer.
If it's transferable through FFL do that. Went through the same thing for a friend of mine who had some "problems" when the dust settled transferred back.

About 10 years ago, a buddy who was friends with some folks in the front office at Sig said he had been invited to a weekend handgun training course for half price and could bring friends for the same rate.

I signed up and part of the application process was submit copy of P&R license or a letter from your CLEO. Hey, they aren't uptight, they just don't want to develop tactical skills for nefarious characters.

I pulled my P&R license out to copy it and noticed it had expired nine months earlier. I had been carrying every single day.

I explained to the Sig front office and the nice lady said, "No problem. What you have will be good enough for us." I think this was the day before the class started as it was sort of a last minute opportunity.

Bottom line is; great class! A weekend well spent. It would have been a bargain at full price. It really pushed my proficiency level up a notch or three.

All the guy needs to do is reapply, that's it.
As long as his LTC is only expired then having his guns at home is a civil penalty not criminal. With the AG and the courts arguing you can have a firearm in the home without an LTC, it would be tough to do a lot more than a fine.

Reapply, have a beer and move on without further thought.

Yup, he's protected from criminal charges because he has the expired LTC. Just reapply and quit worrying. If you live in Gardner or some place where they'll raid you because they're a bunch of douchebags, just have an LTC holding friend hold onto the firearms for you until the license comes in.

ICBW although I think the AG would interrupt MGL as taking possession of his stuff is considered a transfer.
If it's transferable through FFL do that. Went through the same thing for a friend of mine who had some "problems" when the dust settled transferred back.

Oy! Some will never learn!!!

Yup, he's protected from criminal charges because he has the expired LTC. Just reapply and quit worrying. If you live in Gardner or some place where they'll raid you because they're a bunch of douchebags, just have an LTC holding friend hold onto the firearms for you until the license comes in.

Exactly.

Have a friend with a current LTC hold/store his firearms and reapply. No big deal here, it is a possession question not a FA-10 situation. Once he has his new LTC he is good to go.

just an aside here, on the subject of the Feds saying you can "borrow" a gun.

That is true, but the caveat is that when it is done across a state line, it is for iirc "sporting purposes" only, meaning don't lend a gun to a friend who is going to carry it as a CCW piece.

IANAL, YMMV

Some FFLs will hold the gun until he gets his LTC back. Otherwise, have him take you and the guns and bring it to an FFL and transfer it to your name.
Or he could surrender it to your local PD :confused: (not what I would recommend but if you guys can’t work something out...)

That's a horrendous idea because if the gun is non-compliant he'll never get it back. Of course a good FFL wouldn't intake a gun like that to begin with... in this particular situation there's no real reason to do a full transfer but dude with an LTC can just take possession until he gets his license back, no paper required.

Good advice. I don't understand why people have to over think this thing.

Spot on!!

Nothing wrong with having a LTC-holder hold onto it until he gets his LTC if he's nervous about it.

An FFL has to put it on his books and in that case the FFL is now the "owner" and transfer back to the <prior> owner requires all the regular BS . . . EOPS List and AG Regs compliant. Absolutely the stupidest thing that I could think of doing.

NO reason for moving it out of state, bank deposit box, storage facility, etc. Just don't do it.

Good advice. I don't understand why people have to over think this thing.

Because it is crap-a-spew-$hits. When the pedophiles and murders are treated better than gun owners in this craphole, it does have an effect.

Reapply and forget about it. If anyone actually cared they'd be knocking on his day on day 1 post expiration seeing that he had a firearm registered in his name and didn't renew his LTC.

Thanks y'all for the info. I figured as much, just wanted to make sure. I'll most likely hold onto it for him, (it is compliant anyhow), just because he is a nervous Nelly. I appreciate the assistance.

Thanks y'all for the info. I figured as much, just wanted to make sure. I'll most likely hold onto it for him, (it is compliant anyhow), just because he is a nervous Nelly. I appreciate the assistance.

That is the best option.

Wasn't there a case like this...?

Guy tried to make an appointment to get his LTC renewed because it was due to expire soon. He was given an appointment AFTER the LTC expired. Upon entering the police station he was promptly arrested for possessing guns without a valid LTC.

Back
Top Bottom