FTF transfers

I've seen a lot of posts in the classified section and the seller states something like, "I'm out of FA10's, BUYER pays transfer fee".

Why should the buyer have to pay because he the seller used up his 4 for the year? You used up your 4 for the year, tough luck. Or at least split the fee.

I don't think this is fair. Am I wrong here? Your thoughts.

Thanks.

If you don't want to pay the transfer fee as stated up front...don't buy the item and move on.

If it's undisclosed prior to meeting then both should pay for not asking or stating up front.

A classic case of the seller providing too much information. Who cares that he used his FTF transfers already--just state "buyer pays the fee" and leave it at that. No big deal really.

For me the bigger factor is who chooses the FFL. I'LL gladly pay the whole fee if I get to use the FFL closest to me that I like and charges a reasonable rate. I wouldn't want to get stuck driving 1+ hours to pay some fudd with an attitude a commissioned transfer fee and taxes, etc. That's when deals go bad and feelings get hurt.

Last edited:
A classic case of the seller providing too much information. Who cares that he used his FTF transfers already--just state "buyer pays the fee" and leave it at that.
I've had buyers who wanted to do a FTF and bitched about using an FFL. If you tell them upfront that you are out of FTF transfers, then you don't waste time discussing why you are doing it through an FFL. They may still bitch, but it is a different kind of bitching.

I've seen a lot of posts in the classified section and the seller states something like, "I'm out of FA10's, BUYER pays transfer fee".

Why should the buyer have to pay because he the seller used up his 4 for the year? You used up your 4 for the year, tough luck. Or at least split the fee.

I think you are wrong. If you don't like their price or terms, you can 1) negotiate or 2) choose not to buy from them.

Furthermore, does it matter if the price is $500 + $40 transfer fee, or $520 + 1/2 of $40 transfer fee, or $540 and no transfer fee?

Thanks.

If you don't want to pay the fee then don't buy it. [laugh] Sellers are free to set up whatever terms they want, as long as they disclose all of this up front before closing a deal with someone.

BTW, those of us who use an FFL sometimes build the price of the transfer into our asking price for the gun. What difference does it make if it's bundled or separate?

-Mike

I've had buyers who wanted to do a FTF and bitched about using an FFL. If you tell them upfront that you are out of FTF transfers, then you don't waste time discussing why you are doing it through an FFL. They may still bitch, but it is a different kind of bitching.

True, some people just like to bitch.

The classifieds crack me up. Some post too little like "custom modifications" and don't even mention what's been done or by whom. Then others post their whole life story. A good salesperson knows when to shut up--that extraneous stuff can kill a sale.

Part of the deciding factor when I bough tmy car was the "doc fee" - one place was $200 more, made them higher, they lost.

A bit off topic, but FWIW the "doc fee" is pretty much a BS charge. Most states don't cap them or regulate them at all but anything over $100 is just an attempt to screw you. You should try to offset it when bargaining.

You start talking about "splitting" then what? You can make the transaction far more complicated than it should be. Find a dealer that will do it for $40? Yes but there is one that will do it for $25 and he is 30 min closer to the buyer but a 20 min further drive for the seller. Fair?? Unfair??

What if buyer pays fee but then you are driving driving the distance to their FFL of choice OP? You will say that's unfair too?

As long as terms are disclosed and up front I don't see what the complaint is.

The only way I will purchase a firearm from someone is if they meet me half the distance, pay half the transfer fee,pay half my gas money, and fill out half my FA-10 form ..its in my profile.

A bit off topic, but FWIW the "doc fee" is pretty much a BS charge. Most states don't cap them or regulate them at all but anything over $100 is just an attempt to screw you. You should try to offset it when bargaining.

I know that it's a gaff....but, it's easier to figure it in the whole price when comparing dealers, instead of fighting over it. I did tell the salesperson at the "losing" dealer that the $400 doc fee that they charged is what caused them to lose.

I have no problem if they're disclosed up front, but someone less familliar with the "game" might be surprised. I can't complain too much - I charge a (disclosed up front) handling fee on ebay and Gunbroker transactions. What goes around....

The important thing is that it's up front.

Just a few question. Im tearing 18 in a few months and my dad wants to sigh a few of his guns over to me. Like 8 guns. He doesent know how to transfere them to me. does that mean i need to get 8 tranfer papers.

"I'm out of FA10's, BUYER pays transfer fee".
It's good to disclose this up front, but why not just figure it in the price?

My impression of ads with terms like "buyer pays FFL fee" and "Transfers at MY FFL, NO Exceptions!!" is one of a seller trying to establish that they are in charge of the terms of the transactions and demonstrates a degree of arrogance on the part of the seller. That may not actually be the case, but it's how it comes across to me.

Just a few question. Im tearing 18 in a few months and my dad wants to sigh a few of his guns over to me. Like 8 guns. He doesent know how to transfere them to me. does that mean i need to get 8 tranfer papers.

Assuming you have a FID, and that none of the guns are handguns, large capacity rifles or large capacity shotguns, he can transfer 4 firearms per year to you without the use of a FFL.

Last edited:
Transfer 4 guns on Dec. 31st and 4 more on Jan. 1st. As long as the dates are in different years you're all set. Of course the above restrictions apply.

As long as the terms are disclosed prior to pending sale then I think it is totally fine...

A sticky that allows FFL's to advertise their Transfer price and/or terms might be nice to have on the classified section so that buyers can cross reference to figure out a final price

Back
Top Bottom