• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Full auto Glock parts

Apparently, NOT the law of gravity

"Murphy took off from the building during the raid, authorities said, jumping from a balcony while still holding the package of full-auto switches."

These switches are very simple devices and as 3D printing becomes more common, it's going to take nothing for people to start making them. Heck, they're easy enough if you have a milling machine you can make them yourself. I guess that it's a lot easier to convert a Glock to full auto than it is an AR-15 with the DIAS or Lightening Link as there's no timing needed for a striker fired gun vs one that is hammer fired.

Anyway, most people don't have milling machines so 3D printing will be the future and all I wonder is how possession of the files to 3D print them will be treated, even if you don't have a printer. I would have to believe that would fall under constructive possession.

Last edited:
What law(s) did he break? Jack.
If he didn't have firearms in his possession they are just paperweights as far as I can tell. Is this actually illegal?
Does this give LEO the right to search his home looking for "part a" ?

How the hell does the post office know what's in a package? Even if they were to xray them how would they identify what these are?

I'm confused... unless someone tipped the USPS off and they were looking for these things.

Those are the good ones with the selector switch. There is another version that does not have the selector.

The device pictured is a machine gun. No doubt. You can buy an 80% version online no problem. Start milling and...

Or be an 07, engrave, then mill and fill out a form 2.

He is toast

How the hell does the post office know what's in a package? Even if they were to xray them how would they identify what these are?

I'm confused... unless someone tipped the USPS off and they were looking for these things.

The USPS has been scanning packages for eons now it seems. Doesn’t matter if it’s your grandmother’s rhubarb pie or a part for something.

The funny thing is them switches are to make a air soft glock full auto as is.

You can't just take one of them and put it on the back of a glock it won't fit.

That’s what I thought initially, but then I thought of the various braces, inserts, etc. that the frame could be put in to and thought the part may fit into one of those. I’m just guessing though.

USPS misses a lot of things but when they do they will press the panic button. Those are 80% switches that need some work to fit. Certainly ATF considers dias, lightening links, switches as machine guns but since they are 80% where in ATF addendums do they consider that switch a machine gun?

Do you have anything liquid, fragile, or hazardous?”

USPS misses a lot of things but when they do they will press the panic button. Those are 80% switches that need some work to fit. Certainly ATF considers dias, lightening links, switches as machine guns but since they are 80% where in ATF addendums do they consider that switch a machine gun?
80.1% because anything above 80%, it becomes a "firearm."

The whole 80% thing tho is the usual ATF vagueness language, so they can change the definition of 80% on a moment's notice. The best I can figure is for something to qualify as 80%, there has to be a certain level of semi-precision machining/material removal operations required to meet the ATF's approval, which is why most 80% lowers required holes to be drilled and some material milled off while the outside grips are already done instead of having the holes and milling finished and all that's needed is the grip to be shaped because any dope with a hacksaw, a file, and some stippling tools can do that.

Like was said in a different thread, the average schmuck with no manufacturing bone in their body is not going to be able to successfully make a reliable gun from an 80% lower, but someone with skills and has done some research can and I have to believe the ATF knows this and is betting on crackheads not knowing how to turn a drill press on, let alone turning an 80% into a completely usable firearm or full auto device.

My question is better stated as an Xray is one thing. But how is the USPS being able to correctly identify this and tens of millions of other parts and products and know what is illegal? These items are often in a box with lots of other metal stuff and could be xrayed at many different angles/perspectives. I'm not sure if there's enough computing power at the NSA to correctly identify every part/product that is shipped through the USPS via Xray.

So how/why did they catch this item?

The USPS has been scanning packages for eons now it seems. Doesn’t matter if it’s your grandmother’s rhubarb pie or a part for something.

My question is better stated as an Xray is one thing. But how is the USPS being able to correctly identify this and tens of millions of other parts and products and know what is illegal? These items are often in a box with lots of other metal stuff and could be xrayed at many different angles/perspectives. I'm not sure if there's enough computing power at the NSA to correctly identify every part/product that is shipped through the USPS via Xray.

Stop overthinking it. What's the rule for secrecy?

Nothing constructive about it, those are by themselves machine guns in the eyes of the ATF. He's gonna get the .gov beef dagger.

Has it changed? it used to be you needed a receiver, a sear or something alone was never usually enough to say "constructive machinegun".

Somebody got tipped off, he probably responded to the ad in shotgun news lmao.... (is it still there) ? They like this "the postal inspector found it" story because it solves their poisonous tree problem.... the guy who probably sold him those things is a shill for some agency.

Who wants to bet that Devante does not get charged to the fullest extent of the law?

Privilege.

Prosecution may fail because they likely assumed he had guns to convert.... if his lawyer/defender isn't crap, he'll probably walk outside of fleeing cops etc.

ETA: none of this matters, looks like state not fed charges.... IL probably has a lower bar for this...

Has it changed? it used to be you needed a receiver, a sear or something alone was never usually enough to say "constructive machinegun".

It’s no so much that is has changed as understanding what constitutes a machine gun. You don’t need the rest of an AR for the receiver to be a firearm and require a dealer to sell. For the machine gun, you often have a couple options. You can register the existing serialized receiver as the machine gun or you can register the part that makes it full auto as machine gun which gives you two serialized pieces.

With the Glock, the full auto sear is the machine gun. For your ar it is usually the receiver with m16 sear or it’s the DIAS or lightening link.

For an MP5 it can either be a manufactured full auto trigger group or the receiver of a completely built MG.

Don’t compare to sbrs and constructive possession. For MGs certain parts are machine guns independent of anything else you own.

Back
Top Bottom