Future LEO help.

wasralex22

NES Member
So, I have always want to go into Law enforcement. It has been a dream of mine since the age of 12.
I live in a small town Lakeville, MA and would love to be a LEO in a small town, rather then a city.

Possible start out Auxiliary, maybe reserve?

My question, or questions are. What steps do I need to take, I really haven't a military background, but I have worked security almost since I was 18, I am 25 now. So, I hope to start out asap.

Do I have a chance in a smaller town then a city? Or, should I just apply to anywhere I can?

Thanks in advance!
Excited for my future hopefully as a LEO.

I would check local department websites if you are interested in reserve or aux. Talk to your local chief. Look at the requirements for civil service test and physical requirements, start training, and try the test. You probably should be taking courses in criminal justice and working toward a degree as a lot of departments require that now. Good luck!

Join the military and while you are doing your time there, earn a degree. I joined the guard at 25, so you are not too old.

Unless you are politically connected, you are not getting on the job without being a veteran at the minimum.

Last edited:
My understanding was most LEOs without military background start in larger cities and then trickle out to smaller towns, but that is not set in stone. Good luck.

Join the military and while you are doing your time there, earn a degree. I joined the guard at 25, so you are not too old.

Unless you are politically connected, you are not getting on the job without being a veteran at the minimum.
Or becoming a corrections officer and get your feet wet. I know becoming a corrections officer is pretty hard in Mass. You basically need to know someone.

Good luck

Talk to your chief in Lakeville. Even if his dept has nothing to offer you, he might be able to refer you elsewhere.

Starting as an Aux/Special/Reserve PO is a great way to get your feet wet, figure out if it really is for you and rack up some references.

Many small towns give priority to those that started as an Aux/Special/Reserve in their town. Some towns aren't Civil Circus and can hire who they want.

CO job is nowhere near the same job as police. Campus police has some similarities but a lot of differences. Even being an MP is a lot different from being a small town cop or campus cop.

When I worked as an Aux PO at a major ivy league college PD, I only worked one day with a former MP (he was new at the college and they partnered him up with me) . . . I immediately went in to the Lt. and told him that I will never work with this guy again. He only wanted to bust heads, claiming that all the students were nothing more than spoiled SOBs and needed his brand of "attitude adjustment". He was looking for trouble and he didn't last long there.

I will defiantly have to send in my application for Lakeville!

I very much appreciate all the help. I really think going about Aux/Reserve would be my best choice, maybe see if it's really what I want. (But, I am 95% sure I want this). I don't want to put on a badge and think I am a god, I want to make a difference, and serve my town well.

Does anyone know tattoo policy, will a lot of tattoos disqualify me? Nothing on my neck or hands, but a sleeve. Nothing racist or anything of that matter.

I will defiantly have to send in my application for Lakeville!

I very much appreciate all the help. I really think going about Aux/Reserve would be my best choice, maybe see if it's really what I want. (But, I am 95% sure I want this). I don't want to put on a badge and think I am a god, I want to make a difference, and serve my town well.

Does anyone know tattoo policy, will a lot of tattoos disqualify me? Nothing on my neck or hands, but a sleeve. Nothing racist or anything of that matter.
If your old man was on the job I'm sure he can steer you in the right direction. First things first, find out if Lakeville is civil service. If they are, you've found the first step in the process. I wouldn't sweat the tattoo issue at this point, but every town/city is different, there's no statewide policy

He was, but it was when I lived in Texas. So, Im sure MA is a whole lot different.

I really appreciate all the help, and beyond excited to start the road to my dream job.

It depends on the person doing the hiring. In most cases it will be looked upon as unprofessional.

Some departments have policies, most don't as far as tattoos. Plenty of guys with full sleeves and such, I have a few on my arms and it's never been an issue. The only issue that I've seen has been racist shit or gang shit, those are a no go. But if you don't have any yet, it'd be smart to hold off. You will unfortunately find that MA is one of the harder states to dive into LE, which sucks.

I won't let my Ink discourage me. I think my clean background zero speeding tickets, speaks outs. haha

Is their any towns that I have a better chance in, then others, as in hiring?

I won't let my Ink discourage me. I think my clean background zero speeding tickets, speaks outs. haha

Is their any towns that I have a better chance in, then others, as in hiring?
Clean record, clean background, prior work history ( sick time abuse, showing up late, leaving early etc), and no retardedness on your FB if you have one, these things are key. If you're talking civil service towns, you are pretty much looking at the town you live in, plus MSP and MBTA. Non civil service can hire whomever they'd like. Being a veteran helps, having a degree in CJ or something close helps ( but doesn't make you better at your job lol). Don't sweat your ink for now

Certianly start by looking and applying at Lakeville PD. Look for aux/reserve jobs as well. You will have to be sponsored to get through the reserve academy but most Chiefs won't mind sponsoring you if you are footing the bill. Reserve academys are not cheap but they can help you get your foot in the door. STUDY when there. Good enough is not good enough anymore. Once you get through take any shifts/work you can find and start to learn and "hopefully" build a good reputation.

Quick hint: Do everything with class. You go to the PD to speak to the Chief about a sponsor or if you have an interview? Wear a suit and tie. It will make you look serious and cover up yout tattoo sleeve. The ink is generally not a problem but let them get to know you before they make a quick judgement on your body art. Some care, even though they say they do not. Hell, wear a shirt and tie to the test if you have to. Make a positive impression.

Take as many tests as you can. A lot of non-civil servce departments hire off of their own tests and hiring processes. This may also include the pysical fitness testing process. Get yourself into good/great physical shape and you can "wow" them at that point in the process. Just barely passing the minimums gets you ZIP. Anyone can (or should be able to) run 1.5 miles in 12:53. Run it sub 10. 33 push ups? Do at least 50. You get the idea.

Develop an refine a resume once you get through the part time academy. IF you are dead set on this career path and all you are getting is aux/reserve work then I would seriously consider self-sponsoring through the full time academy. If is a hefty cost but an already trained cop saves a municipality cash. That can help you set yourself above a candidate that is not trained.

Lastly, don't give up. If a small town agency is all you are looking for then you may have a chance with a little hard work, dedication and a little luck.

I would close all social media accounts. My sister is on the job and big in the union. She sees so many issues with FB etc, it is not worth the chance.

Certianly start by looking and applying at Lakeville PD. Look for aux/reserve jobs as well. You will have to be sponsored to get through the reserve academy but most Chiefs won't mind sponsoring you if you are footing the bill. Reserve academys are not cheap but they can help you get your foot in the door. STUDY when there. Good enough is not good enough anymore. Once you get through take any shifts/work you can find and start to learn and "hopefully" build a good reputation.

Quick hint: Do everything with class. You go to the PD to speak to the Chief about a sponsor or if you have an interview? Wear a suit and tie. It will make you look serious and cover up yout tattoo sleeve. The ink is generally not a problem but let them get to know you before they make a quick judgement on your body art. Some care, even though they say they do not. Hell, wear a shirt and tie to the test if you have to. Make a positive impression.

Take as many tests as you can. A lot of non-civil servce departments hire off of their own tests and hiring processes. This may also include the pysical fitness testing process. Get yourself into good/great physical shape and you can "wow" them at that point in the process. Just barely passing the minimums gets you ZIP. Anyone can (or should be able to) run 1.5 miles in 12:53. Run it sub 10. 33 push ups? Do at least 50. You get the idea.

Develop an refine a resume once you get through the part time academy. IF you are dead set on this career path and all you are getting is aux/reserve work then I would seriously consider self-sponsoring through the full time academy. If is a hefty cost but an already trained cop saves a municipality cash. That can help you set yourself above a candidate that is not trained.

Lastly, don't give up. If a small town agency is all you are looking for then you may have a chance with a little hard work, dedication and a little luck.
This is all excellent advice!

Or becoming a corrections officer and get your feet wet.

This. Good advice if you stall getting a foot through the door w/a PD. Like LenS said, a CO job is very different from police. But getting an academy behind you is a + and you can make the jump down the road with a better resume than security.

Lakeville is a non civil service department so you should definitely contact the department to see what's up with their test. I'm a veteran and an EMT, took the last civil service test and I'm still waiting on a call.

Look into EMT school, usually its extra points on a test.

I am a police officer and my advice is definitely join the military (active duty) and get a degree in CJ. Then take EVERY test you can, including tests for reserves (Somerset, Swansea, Rochester, etc). Call, email, and look on the website of every police department driving distance from you and figure out if they have specials or reserves, and how they hire them. Many hire off of the civil service list but not all. I would stay away from most auxiliary programs. Most are 100% volunteer and a seperate entity from the police department. That being said, there are a handful of really good ones (Rockland, Whitman, etc), just do your homework. Taking a job at a county sheriff's office would not be the worst idea (I did). It starts your retirement clock and gets you used to seniority, shift work, forced overtime, report writing, professionalism, stressful situations, use of force, and most importantly DETAILS! Campus PD or hospital security is not the worst idea either but if I were you, I would rather start that pension clock and be closer to 80% retirement.

Back
Top Bottom