• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GA man shoots down utility company drone

was the drone over his property acting like it was snooping on him/family/etc?

If it was then good shoot

The article said the utility notified him before hand of this work, but who knows what that means. Automated recorded message? Spam mailer? Probably the least effort that is still legally recognized as notification.

But still, the guy is a little off in my opinion for taking that shot. It's almost as if he lived under power lines as a kid.

Maybe

If I send you a letter telling you I'm going to tresspass on your property does that make it ok?

Most utilities have a right of way easement if things like power lines or underground water lines cross your property. The mechanics of the easement depends on who was there first, you or the utility, but most heavily favor access rights to the utility. Combined with the advanced notice, then they are not trespassing. Not saying it's would be something I'd welcome, but they would have your nuts on this one. But the article did mention that the utility claims they were not over his property.

He was just peaceful protesting. But shooting down a power line inspection drone is wetaaded.

I don't want to get into all the court decisions and federal regulations on drones, but the short version is if I can see it from an airplane or a helicopter I have the same right as a drone operator to photograph it or look at it. The FAA controls the Federal Airspace and that starts at the top of the blades of grass.

And shooting at a Drone is no different than shooting at a 747, it is considered an aircraft in the eyes of the law.

Its true.....local/state gov has told some utilities in some states/municipalities that they can tresspass on your property.......

Its still tresspassing without the property owners permission....otherwise its not really your propt

Again, it all depends on the nature of any existing easements, but by virtue of having an easement, it is no longer trespassing. They have a legal right to enter. Just not a right to claim ownership.

No you don't!
You own the space above and below your land. It’s an age old RE law. The issue is navigatible air space. Before drones it was no problem with just planes flying over. Now the FAA is acting like a typical Gov Agency and trying to shrink down a property owners air space with this low flying drone shit. U definitely own the space above your property.

You own the space above and below your land. It’s an age old RE law. The issue is navigatible air space. Before drones it was no problem with just planes flying over. Now the FAA is acting like a typical Gov Agency and trying to shrink down a property owners air space with this low flying drone shit. U definitely own the space above your property.
It used to be "from heaven to hell" now it is what you can reach so get on your roof and reach as high as you can. That's what you own. The government owns the rest.

I was fishing one day and some annoying ass helicopter kept circling the area I was in. It didn’t have any markings that I could see but it was so close at times I could see the pilot.

After about 15 minutes of it circling I shot it the bird and waved it away. Shortly after a state trooper came down the dirt road. It was a state police helicopter and they were looking for a fugitive

It may be an adage, but if it's not a matter of law, it's just a myth. In Texas, you may own the surface of you land, but the "mineral rights" may belong to someone else. It's one of the things friends of mine, including lawyers, warn their clients about when they are looking at real estate.

A friend of mine owns the mineral rights under his lot. The reason he got them was because there was nothing down there worth mining or pumping out. Until about ten years ago, when they discovered that the whole area was on top of a large natural gas reserve. There are no wells on his land, but he gets a nice royalty check from the gas company every month.

State laws vary widely.

Back
Top Bottom