GA state USPSA - got an award...

allen-1

NES Member
I shot GA state USPSA match yesterday. It was a lot of fun, and I did about as well as I expected.

To give you an idea of the level of competition, I know one of the GMs who shot yesterday, he shoots at our local matches - as of the first 180+ shooters, he was in 26th place. With three more sessions of shooters to go. Some really phenomenal shooters there.

10 stages, small squads, 1/2 day match. The stages were all fast, and required movement, target and cover placement was excellent. My best shot of the day undoubtedly was on the VERY fast swinger that was only partially exposed. (2) alphas on that, (I shot it four times). My second worst shot of the day was two alphas on one of two of the stacked targets and zero on the second. Lesson learned - walk up to targets and make sure that there's only one when it's at the far end of the stage - don't just survey from the shooting position. My worst shot of the day undoubtedly was the target on one of the stages that I ran past without engaging. Lesson learned - COUNT the targets you're going to shoot at and check against the stage brief. Don't just round count. And that was a "DUH" because I saw but didn't register other shooters doing just that.

There were 7 shooters on my squad, including (1) M, (2) A, (1) B, and (2) C ranked shooters, (I'm currently unranked in the division I shot). I learned a fair bit watching how some of these guys shot, not in the mechanics of the shooting, but in the stage movement.

Lots of discussion among shooters about the scarcity of ammo and components.

The match was about five hours away, so I drove up Friday after work, slept very little and poorly in a hotel room, shot the match Saturday morning and drove home. Got my "award" on the drive home. I was on the phone with my wife when I saw the blue lights coming up quick behind me, maybe 3/4 of a mile back. Moved over, and when he did too said "bye" to the wife because he was coming for me.

Clocked at 93 in a 70. Oops. Did some online poking around this morning - and that makes me eligible not only for the speeding fine, but also for Georgia's "SUPER SPEEDER" award - another 200 bucks. Oops again. Damn - first ticket I've had since I moved down here.

EDIT - regarding the speeding ticket.
Door #1: 434$, plus 200$ super speeder award, plus 3 points on my license and recorded so my insurance company can show me some love too.

Door #2: 295$ to an attorney in that county; 450$ fees and court costs to that county; zero points and non-reportable disposition == no extra love my from insurance company.

I took door #2; atty handled the bargaining, I didn't even show up - wrote the checks and it's over. That's the last time I go that fast in Laurens County...

Last edited:
Match sounds like a great time.

Ouch regarding the ticket- I think once you are more than 15 over your chances of of a warning evaporate.

I talked to an attorney a couple of weeks ago after Laurens County posted my ticket to their online payment system.
$434 for the ticket and court costs. $200 for the Super Speeder bonus award. 3 points on my license.

I paid the attorney $295, I owe Laurens County $450. Non-reportable disposition, no points.
So bottom line - $745 over and done instead of $634, points and probable insurance rate increase.

That's a chunk out of my "disposable income" for next month - I could have bought another gun. :(

I talked to an attorney a couple of weeks ago after Laurens County posted my ticket to their online payment system.
$434 for the ticket and court costs. $200 for the Super Speeder bonus award. 3 points on my license.

I paid the attorney $295, I owe Laurens County $450. Non-reportable disposition, no points.
So bottom line - $745 over and done instead of $634, points and probable insurance rate increase.

That's a chunk out of my "disposable income" for next month - I could have bought another gun. :(
At least that bill won’t be the reason you don’t buy any primers this month...

Back
Top Bottom