Gamo Bone Collector Maxxim $45

Not the land of the free but the home of the brave
Well I "scored" one of these NIB at Walmart on clearance for $45 reduced from $188! The last one though. Not totally impressed. It does seem overall a little cheap. Plastic scope and doesn't seem as durable as older real air rifles I've used in the past.

My real issue is the scope elevation is fully up and it's still a little low at 30 feet. I've reattached the scope and no difference. I'm looking for a scope recommendation as I have no air rifle knowledge. Maybe a straight 4x or some low 1x-4x variable or so.

Last edited:
You paid what it should have been all along.
Running out of elevation is not in common. Take a good look at the barrel and make sure it’s not bent. Use a long level .
As for scope take the $140 you saved and just buy a run of the mill 3x9 or such for about $50 should be ok with that gamo.

Does that gamo have the anti recoil scope mount thing. Almost seem like there is silicone in the rail recess.?

Post a pic and i will try to help.
1st thing i would do is take the gamo recoil rail thing off completely then just mount the scope mount right to reciever.
You will also gain some elevation.

Last edited:
While I agree with mac another option would be to shim the scope with a shim or two cut out of the side of a pop or beer can.

Re-center the adjustment and shim to see where you are at. Repeat if necessary.

Bob

Ya I was thinking the clearance price sb the regular price too.

Yes it has that recoil nib. It looks like it will thread inward. That's what I was playing with when I remounted the scope. That is great insight into possible problems. I have to wait until Saturday because the gun is not where I'm at now.

If I can get that scope to work I will be satisfied for now. That's good to know about a regular 3-9x
Thanks for the info I will let you know Saturday how it goes.

While I agree with mac another option would be to shim the scope with a shim or two cut out of the side of a pop or beer can.

Re-center the adjustment and shim to see where you are at. Repeat if necessary.

Bob
If you can believe the mounts are plastic too. I will have to take a closer look at that whole thing and let you know.
Thank you.

If you can believe the mounts are plastic too. I will have to take a closer look at that whole thing and let you know.
Thank you.
yeah everything in cheap air rifles is plastic but honeslty the plastic is tougher than the metal they use on these cheap pos.
Just take the entire scope mount and that stupid RRR rail off the rifle and buy a base with a recoil stop like posted above.
Its been a while since I had anytype of piston or springer but RWS made a good single piece mount.
Also the lower you can mount your scope the better.

this is what my friend usedhttps://www.airgundepot.com/utg-drooper-scope-rail--11mm-to-weaver-adapter.html and hes had no problems so far, installed on a Winchester branded walmart special. He then bought a UTG bug buster scope and some weaver rings for about $70 ?

Last edited:
Well I got a chance to get it seemingly correct the issues. First one correction, the rings are aluminum not plastic. I took everything apart and started fresh. The scope came mounted in the rings. I seated the rear ring and engaged the little recoil nib then reinstalled the scope. I let everything get properly aligned. I then was able to readjust the cross hairs with a laser boresighter. I used a used target to get my start point and go from there. I can only shoot at 20 feet here. I'll bring it back to where it was and go from there.

I think the problem was the premounted scope and not properly seating the rear ring.

Well I got a chance to get it seemingly correct the issues. First one correction, the rings are aluminum not plastic. I took everything apart and started fresh. The scope came mounted in the rings. I seated the rear ring and engaged the little recoil nib then reinstalled the scope. I let everything get properly aligned. I then was able to readjust the cross hairs with a laser boresighter. I used a used target to get my start point and go from there. I can only shoot at 20 feet here. I'll bring it back to where it was and go from there.

I think the problem was the premounted scope and not properly seating the rear ring.
have fun I found a scope cleaning out the basement and mounted it on my daisy 853, fun stuff
Zeroing cheap pos scope

I bought this conversion rail to use regular rings it arrived before I could even get to where the gun was. This one has 3 screws and shipped fast got it in 3 days. I don't have to use it now since what I have seems to be OK but I will shop around for a scope. Plus I want to be able to remove the scope easily and this will fit the bill.
11mm Dovetail Extension to 20mm Weaver Picatinny Adapter Riser Rail Mount Base | eBay

A pellet question for you. Since this gun has a lot of spring would going to a 10.5 pellet help tame it? It would also carry more energy at a longer distance.

I bought this conversion rail to use regular rings it arrived before I could even get to where the gun was. This one has 3 screws and shipped fast got it in 3 days. I don't have to use it now since what I have seems to be OK but I will shop around for a scope. Plus I want to be able to remove the scope easily and this will fit the bill.
11mm Dovetail Extension to 20mm Weaver Picatinny Adapter Riser Rail Mount Base | eBay

A pellet question for you. Since this gun has a lot of spring would going to a 10.5 pellet help tame it? It would also carry more energy at a longer distance.
not so much , you just live with the spring/bounce.
You can get more piston bounce with a heavy pellet.
To light or to heavy can cause problems also tight and loose fitting pellets can do more or less.
Buy a few different pellets. Break the rifle in and see what does best. With .177 i lean twards better shot placement than energy retention.

Back
Top Bottom