• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Garand matches open to newbies/non members?

rockdoc

NES Member
I'm new to all this, with a brand new Garand addiction, as well as a 20" AR-15. Do any of the northeast clubs holding CMP matches, Garand type matches or High Power matches open these up to newbie non members (or possible prospective future members)? I'm on Nantucket Island, but it's easy enough for me to travel to MA , New Hampshire, Maine or Vermont. Any advice? Where's a good place to start?

Thanks!
rockdoc

Haverhill Hound Rod and Gun has a number of different shoots. I don't remember when they are, but we have a web site -

www.hhrg.com

There should be a schedule of shoots there, and yes, they are open to the public.

Derek and Brent shoot at Reading. I shot there a couple of months ago and it's very nice. I don't know how close that is to you but it's about an hour and a half for Derek and he's there every weekend.

Reading and Haverhill aren't real close but coming from Nantucket, nothing really is..........but I'm willing to travel, so it won't be a problem. Only problem with travelling is stopping off "real quick" (yeah right!) at whatever gun shop's in the area. Did that yesterday, and what do ya know, my second Garand just happened to be there in the rack waiting for me!

I can't wait to get started going to matches! Even if it's more to watch, meet people, ask questions, and learn at first.

rockdoc

Rockdoc - have you tried looking on the GOAL web site for clubs on the south shore? There may be some listed there that do shoots that are open to the public. You could also do a goole search for guns clubs in soothern MA and see what you come up with (not all are listed on GOALS web site.)

BTW - GOAL is www.goal.org

Thanks Lynne,

Yes I've looked at the list on the GOAL site, and there are a lot of clubs listed there! I just want to narrow it down to clubs that are newbie/ non member friendly. I've heard good things about the Reading club, and the Haverhill club, so I'll be calling them and looking into getting to some matches at those two.

rockdoc

rockdoc said:
Thanks Lynne,

Yes I've looked at the list on the GOAL site, and there are a lot of clubs listed there! I just want to narrow it down to clubs that are newbie/ non member friendly. I've heard good things about the Reading club, and the Haverhill club, so I'll be calling them and looking into getting to some matches at those two.

rockdoc

The ones closer to you should have a contact - email them and ask if non-members are welcome to the shoots. Since most of them use that as a way to make some extra $$'s, they should say it's okay. :D Let us know how you do too!

rockdoc,

Braintree R&P has CMP shoots every month (except dead of Winter) on the 3rd Saturday at 9AM. Ross Estabrooks is the CMP Chairman and Secretary of the Club. We are a very friendly bunch and the shoots are open to the public. The range is 50 and 100yds, so no long range shooting at BR&P unfortunately.

More info on the event can be found at:
http://www.brp.org/html/cpm.html

Derek, Brent and myself are all members of BR&P, although I've never shot a CMP match there and Derek is concentrating on Camp Perry, so he's going to Reading for the long range shooting.

Thanks Len,

At this point in my shooting, 100 yds IS long range!! Braintree looks good; I'll see about getting to one of the third saturday 9 am shoots.

rockdoc

Rockdoc, there's a CMP shoot at Riverside Gun Club in Hudson www.riversidegc.org a week from Sunday - June 17th. I'm planning to be there to get my CMP cert so I can buy a Garand... and I know that Riverside is VERY friendly to newbies - I've been a member for 17+ years.

Ross

PS - our range is only 100 yards, too. So Derek won't come play with me there. *sniff*

PPS - here's the link to the CMP match http://www.riversidegc.org/HighPower/CMPclinic05.htm

I have a friend that belongs to Hanson, they have a CMP program twice a month. They are really good for letting people that are new or don't belong.

Just in case you're looking for another place to shoot.

http://www.hansonrodandgunclub.org/rifle.html

Adult CMP

1st Saturday of the month and 3rd Sunday of the month
Saturday - 9 A.M start Sunday - 1pm start Cost is $20 for 60 rnds of 30-06 and targets, $5 if you use your own ammo

Thanks so much for all these great replies, and keep em coming. Now I have a bunch of clubs and people to call, and I've really got to get to work on zeroing my Garand and AR15, figuring out ranges and sight adjustments, then seeing what I can hit with them!

rockdoc

If you run in to any problems with the AR post them here. I'm confident Tony and I will be able to help you.

I really need to get out with you guys sometime. I read that post and I feel like a dumb ass. I don't comeplety understand it. But then, I'm a watch and learn person, not a read and learn. I just need someone to explain it while they are showing me.

I don't konw how far it is from me. I think that it's about and hour and a half or so. But I would like to know how to properly sight in my ARs.

And what doesn't make sence? LOL! What does? I'm such a dink when it comes to that thing. I just left my second one how it came from the factory. My M4orgery is all out of wack because I tried to sight it in. My other one, is pretty damn close so I didn't mess with it. [oops]

That's funny! The article did have pictures, though! [wink]

Seriously, read the article while you have rifle in hand and it may make more sense.

Nickle said:
Derek, did you ever finish setting up the server for manuals? I uploaded some stuff that will address his problem.

I'll set up a link tonight for the maunals. I completely forgot. :(

Time for a car pool (boat pool?) I'm ready to man the oars with rockdoc to get to some of these matches.

I'll have to look. I have a manual that my brother in law gave me from when he was in Bootcamp. Or drill, or something. That's what I used on the M4. I'll try again, but I think that I need some Old Fashioned Schooling.

But I'm going to try to get my M4 in order first if I try this again. Because I'm not screwing up my XM15 E2Stainless.

derek said:
dwarven1 said:
PS - our range is only 100 yards, too. So Derek won't come play with me there. *sniff*

I will probably be up there this fall for some IDPA matches. :D

Derek, the next match is a week from Sunday. See you there? I'll be the short bearded guy with the big... uh... never mind. I'll be shooting my Para. :)

Ross

dwarven1 said:
Derek, the next match is a week from Sunday. See you there? I'll be the short bearded guy with the big... uh... never mind. I'll be shooting my Para. :)

Ross

Not yet Ross, this weekend and next weekend are booked for my last practice before the Nationals. After that I'm open. :D

derek said:
dwarven1 said:

Ross

Not yet Ross, this weekend and next weekend are booked for my last practice before the Nationals. After that I'm open. :D

I know you and Tony both will make us proud....so PRACTICE son, practice! [lol]

Back
Top Bottom