Garand or SKS?

IMO the M1 and M14 close enough. Similar bolt function, gas piston, and what about that trigger group? The BM59 was already mentioned- sort a half step between the two. Also a few of us on the forum know a Vietnam vet who would take great offense to the M14 being considered 'middling' and assumed inferior to the new M16.

Regardless, it's certainly easier to build an M1 than it is to build a M14 / M1A. Maintenance on either is about the same effort.

You're seeing "comparable" and "related" as the same idea. They're not.

The Trapdoor Springfield and the 1863 Springfield rifled musket are very similar in mechanical design except for the trapdoor loading mechanism and obviously the fire control system to shoot centerfire cartridges rather than percussion caps. Are the two guns comparable? No. Similar in design but radically different in use.

Want a comparison? The 1917 Enfield and the 1903 Springfield. Same cartridge, six rounds versus five, both bolt action, both saw service in WW1 and WW2. Those two guns are comparable despite not being related.

The BM59 came after the M14 so while it is sort of a step in between, its tangential to the development of the M14 from the M1. Beretta and SA weren't working together to develop the BM59 and the M14 together.

And if we're talking about vets taking offence about viewing a service rifle objectively, within its place in history, you can say that about any service weapon. What would happen if someone were to say "the 1911 is garbage" and back it up with proof, like say mud tests or times on the clock? There'd be a massive thread fight despite the 1911 being objectively slower and less reliable than modern pistols.

If you really want both, I'd start with the SKS. Why? It seems that if anything is going to get banned/restricted, it would be the SKS first. Also, they've gone from $99 to $450/$500. Garands seem to have been going up, but not skyrocketing in price - more of a steady climb. Just my .02

If you really want both, I'd start with the SKS. Why? It seems that if anything is going to get banned/restricted, it would be the SKS first. Also, they've gone from $99 to $450/$500. Garands seem to have been going up, but not skyrocketing in price - more of a steady climb. Just my .02

I guess that is true but seems like a stretch that the SKS would be banned in anything that wouldn't be a huge CF.

Prices going up are relevant but on a flat per dollar increase fairly sure I will still be able to afford one in a couple years. Though it's always possible with the next set of bills and next elections things change.

I was already planning to build my own BM-59 someday. Way to snipe me into having to learn about, and consider, the EM-62 as an alternative or addition...

It's all Ian and Karl's faults. To get back on topic, here's some of their videos on both the M1 and SKS:

I guess that is true but seems like a stretch that the SKS would be banned in anything that wouldn't be a huge CF.

Prices going up are relevant but on a flat per dollar increase fairly sure I will still be able to afford one in a couple years. Though it's always possible with the next set of bills and next elections things change.

The way legislation is written, anything that bans the SKS would also ban the M1. If its an internal, state or nation-wide ban on semi-autos over five rounds, including "fixed" magazines, then both come under such a ban. If its an import ban, it would depend on the specific import ban, like if it was country specific. Let's just say that getting stocks of surplus M1s from foreign countries is already somewhat tricky.

The only thing I'd say is do your shopping before about September, 2020. Its going to get hairy in the lead-up to the election and obviously would go full 2008 + 2012/2013 frenzy if the D's win.

It's all Ian and Karl's faults. To get back on topic, here's some of their videos on both the M1 and SKS:

The way legislation is written, anything that bans the SKS would also ban the M1. If its an internal, state or nation-wide ban on semi-autos over five rounds, including "fixed" magazines, then both come under such a ban. If its an import ban, it would depend on the specific import ban, like if it was country specific. Let's just say that getting stocks of surplus M1s from foreign countries is already somewhat tricky.

The only thing I'd say is do your shopping before about September, 2020. Its going to get hairy in the lead-up to the election and obviously would go full 2008 + 2012/2013 frenzy if the D's win.

Yes, if it's even viewed to be close there may be a run on stuff. Hence why I am looking to move one way or the other early this year as I can't assume CMP will be fully stocked up in 2020 or 2021 or something.

There are a pile of MA "ok" semis with magazines that would be on the chopping block before or with this class of rifle.

This is all dependent on which garands any collector value M1s have gone up. Basic mix master cmp type been pretty level for a while I will agree. Although if you buy a $650 M1 from the CMP you could mozt likely flip it for $1000 to those that just wont buy through the cmp.
I only think SKS jumped in price because vendors seen how folks where drifting to the least expensive center fire semi auto . Also add to collectors who where picking tbese up when they where a bit less popular . These chinese ones that came out of yugo , albania or where ever . If they where really "worth" $300 they would be sold out. i have 3 left out of 8. i sold the norincos i had and one really rough shape russian .

i think ammo price is the least of concerns when buying rifles.
When i see "operators" blasting 50 yards torso targets i think waste of ammo even when using cheap ammo
i generally plink with the sks, milk jugs, 10" steel off hand at 100 yRds. Shoot for small groups with M1,M1a,AR

Last edited:
I'm arguably a good shot. My Garands make me a great shot! My SKS doesn't seem to improve my accuracy whereby the Garand does. The Garand is also a pleasure to shoot.

Just my opinion!

You're seeing "comparable" and "related" as the same idea. They're not.

The Trapdoor Springfield and the 1863 Springfield rifled musket are very similar in mechanical design except for the trapdoor loading mechanism and obviously the fire control system to shoot centerfire cartridges rather than percussion caps. Are the two guns comparable? No. Similar in design but radically different in use.

Want a comparison? The 1917 Enfield and the 1903 Springfield. Same cartridge, six rounds versus five, both bolt action, both saw service in WW1 and WW2. Those two guns are comparable despite not being related.

The BM59 came after the M14 so while it is sort of a step in between, its tangential to the development of the M14 from the M1. Beretta and SA weren't working together to develop the BM59 and the M14 together.

And if we're talking about vets taking offence about viewing a service rifle objectively, within its place in history, you can say that about any service weapon. What would happen if someone were to say "the 1911 is garbage" and back it up with proof, like say mud tests or times on the clock? There'd be a massive thread fight despite the 1911 being objectively slower and less reliable than modern pistols.

Comparable vs. related semantics aside, I'm not the only one who would say that they are both comparable and related. Similar in function in many ways and mostly made at the same facilities excepting IHC and TRW.

"For all intents and purposes, the new M14 was a product-improved M1 rifle characterized by lighter weight, better balance, increased on-board ammunition supply, and selective-fire capability." Robert Bruce, Small Arms Review.

This could be argued either way and is more a matter of opinion and what sources are referenced than a "you're wrong, I'm right" issue.

Back on topic- the potential for future banning could be a possibility for the SKS. However, any SKS with a fixed mag is unlikely to be a target IMHO.

Comparable vs. related semantics aside, I'm not the only one who would say that they are both comparable and related. Similar in function in many ways and mostly made at the same facilities excepting IHC and TRW.

"For all intents and purposes, the new M14 was a product-improved M1 rifle characterized by lighter weight, better balance, increased on-board ammunition supply, and selective-fire capability." Robert Bruce, Small Arms Review.

This could be argued either way and is more a matter of opinion and what sources are referenced than a "you're wrong, I'm right" issue.

Back on topic- the potential for future banning could be a possibility for the SKS. However, any SKS with a fixed mag is unlikely to be a target IMHO.
Come on we all know the M14 was a solution to a none problem with the M1,

Aperture style sights will be more accurate than notch and post especially with a longer sight radius.

Not if you spend your time practicing and training with notch and post. I learned on apertures and prefer notches.

Alvin York agrees with me, as does Simo Hayha. I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but your statement might be correct for you; that doesn't make it correct for everyone. I agree with you on the sight radius, but that's partially a training issue as well. You'll be accurate with the weapons system you train for accuracy with.

I was a hardcore SKS collector for years. I probably had 40 of them. I still like them but have sold all but my best off over the years. That being said, i would get a USGI real deal Garand first. CMP is the best option but if that's too hard just post a WTB or watch the classifieds.

Get the SKS second, Russian and Romanian SKSs tend to be the best quality and collector value but cheap chinese SKSs can be had all day for a shooter. Yugo's are fun as well. I still see chinese pick ups every once in a while for $400 or so. even $375.....

This is all dependent on which garands any collector value M1s have gone up. Basic mix master cmp type been pretty level for a while I will agree. Although if you buy a $650 M1 from the CMP you could mozt likely flip it for $1000 to those that just wont buy through the cmp.
I only think SKS jumped in price because vendors seen how folks where drifting to the least expensive center fire semi auto . Also add to collectors who where picking tbese up when they where a bit less popular . These chinese ones that came out of yugo , albania or where ever . If they where really "worth" $300 they would be sold out. i have 3 left out of 8. i sold the norincos i had and one really rough shape russian .

i think ammo price is the least of concerns when buying rifles.
When i see "operators" blasting 50 yards torso targets i think waste of ammo even when using cheap ammo
i generally plink with the sks, milk jugs, 10" steel off hand at 100 yRds. Shoot for small groups with M1,M1a,AR

Not that I buy for resale value, but good to know I would not take much of a loss (or any) if I had to sell down the line.

Aperture style sights will be more accurate than notch and post especially with a longer sight radius.
Installed a Tech Sight to one of my SKS's and added radius and tighter groups...

Last edited:
I would get a garand, reasons: its a piece of US history, its good looking, it goes ping, you can pose in the mirror and pretend to be saving private ryan / hacksaw ridge / whatever.

SKS is probably fine, I shot one once, it kind of struck me as commie crapola but I'm biased as hell.

Commie "crapola" always effective and even desirable

500px-Gs-PPSh-41-SWNZ.jpg

Part of the reason I'd think a ban would happen on those first is that they are easy to modify to the higher capacity magazine, as compared to the fixed 8 of the Garand.
Seems like the real reason the price jumped was first the ban on the Chinese ones, and then the ban on the Russian ones. People just bumped up the Albanian and Yugo ones since they were the "poor man's substitute" to paying for a real Russian or Chinese ones. Just my .02

Part of the reason I'd think a ban would happen on those first is that they are easy to modify to the higher capacity magazine, as compared to the fixed 8 of the Garand.

Seems like the real reason the price jumped was first the ban on the Chinese ones, and then the ban on the Russian ones. People just bumped up the Albanian and Yugo ones since they were the "poor man's substitute" to paying for a real Russian or Chinese ones. Just my .02
I bought several norinc o sks through out the 90s I dont remember a huge price jump?
Any how its all good and awaiting OPs choice and range report.

I bought several norinc o sks through out the 90s I dont remember a huge price jump?
Any how its all good and awaiting OPs choice and range report.

Oh trust me, if I knew for sure one way or the other on money process would be in motion.

Nothing gets paid out till January so a slow plod untill then.

The problem with fiscal year and calendar year being the same is any POs in the last few weeks can vastly shift a marginal years performance.

Get a Garand.
The SKS is crude and yes, it is more inexpensive to buy and to shoot.

There is nothing like shooting a Garand and admiring our finest rifle used during WWII!
The quality of the sights and machining of the parts are many times better than how the SKS is manufactured.
An M1 Garand can be very accurate depending on how much you are willing to put into it.

Bring it to any range and people will always ask about and want to shoot your beloved Garand.

With the Garand you have a piece of living history in your hands!
It will remind you of our hard fought freedoms with every ping!

Not to mention that our very own govt. armory right here in Springfield, MA made them.
My Garand was made by Springfield Armory and as a citizen of Massachusetts I'm very proud of that!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom