Garand Problem - Early Enbloc Partial Ejection

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
My son and I were out shooting his Garand yesterday and encountered this problem. It has not been shot in some years.

The first three enbloc clips went well. However on the fourth he experienced a partial enbloc ejection after the third round. We could not re-insert the enbloc so we tried a few work-arounds with the partial clip which did not work. We tried with three more full clips and experienced no problem until the last. Same problem.

In looking at the inner workings the follower (? - the part which contacts the bottom of the clip) appeared to be loose and tilted slightly down to the rear.

Any suggestions? We were using HXP 72 ammo if that matters.

Thanks.

Were the clips also HXP? Some of those suck. Take a look at the notch that the clip latch holds. Is it rounded or covered in parkerize material? I've been able to salvage iffy clips by filing that notch square.

I have also seen problems with the clip latch and/or clip latch spring.

I had the same problem.

There’s a button on the left side that when pressed will eject a non-empty clip.

The spring under it was weak.

I removed it, stretched it to increase its length, and therefore the force it applies, and the problem went away.

I had the same problem.

There’s a button on the left side that when pressed will eject a non-empty clip.

The spring under it was weak.

I removed it, stretched it to increase its length, and therefore the force it applies, and the problem went away.
Clip latch spring.

Thanks for all of the advice. I think our next move is to tear it down as far as we can go, make sure everything is clean and properly lubed, then get to know the individual parts.

Thanks for all of the advice. I think our next move is to tear it down as far as we can go, make sure everything is clean and properly lubed, then get to know the individual parts.
Lubriplate is the official grease to use but I get good service from Mobil 1 Synthetic.

If the lower band is tight, leave it alone. Actually if there are no issues with either hand guard no need to mess with them.

My son and I were out shooting his Garand yesterday and encountered this problem. It has not been shot in some years.

The first three enbloc clips went well. However on the fourth he experienced a partial enbloc ejection after the third round. We could not re-insert the enbloc so we tried a few work-arounds with the partial clip which did not work. We tried with three more full clips and experienced no problem until the last. Same problem.

In looking at the inner workings the follower (? - the part which contacts the bottom of the clip) appeared to be loose and tilted slightly down to the rear.

Any suggestions? We were using HXP 72 ammo if that matters.

Thanks.

Order a complete spring kit and if possible a new clip latch.

CMP has several parts available. Also Numrich has some NOS parts, usually at better pricing than other. I like Ammo Garand. Fulton is solid, but their prices are usually the highest by a wide margin.

I Have a M1 in the safe that I bought private sale with known problems. I basically bought it as a parts rifle. Price was right.
The barrel is a bit worn. Its a fickle bitch with clips. Its a 1942 SA reciever and it just does not like any post war enblocs. There are a few post war US made clips that work: The ones made in germany that are in the HXP are usless.
It has a clip latching problem on top of that and I believe its the bullet guide. Clip latch probably worn also.
Im not a seasoned M1 guru but lucky enough to know a few and pic their brains.
The M1 is really pretty forgiving to crud/dirt/abuse and functioning on worn parts. Although once in a while a tiny piece of sand/brass/chips of some sort find their way into a spot that just causes problems.
Start with a detailed strip and careful cleaning. Try to find the problem vs tossing parts at it.
My current M1 from cmp has a little clip problem. The follower was worn to shit and binding, simple fix . It works much better now but oddly if you load the clips with the 1st round to the right its harder to insert than loading 1st round on the left?

I Have a M1 in the safe that I bought private sale with known problems. I basically bought it as a parts rifle. Price was right.
The barrel is a bit worn. Its a fickle bitch with clips. Its a 1942 SA reciever and it just does not like any post war enblocs. There are a few post war US made clips that work: The ones made in germany that are in the HXP are usless.
It has a clip latching problem on top of that and I believe its the bullet guide. Clip latch probably worn also.
Im not a seasoned M1 guru but lucky enough to know a few and pic their brains.
The M1 is really pretty forgiving to crud/dirt/abuse and functioning on worn parts. Although once in a while a tiny piece of sand/brass/chips of some sort find their way into a spot that just causes problems.
Start with a detailed strip and careful cleaning. Try to find the problem vs tossing parts at it.
My current M1 from cmp has a little clip problem. The follower was worn to shit and binding, simple fix . It works much better now but oddly if you load the clips with the 1st round to the right its harder to insert than loading 1st round on the left?
First round to the left means the first one placed on the bottom of the clip? That would give a first round to load (top of clip) on the right, which is the normal habit for most of us.

First round to the left means the first one placed on the bottom of the clip? That would give a first round to load (top of clip) on the right, which is the normal habit for most of us.
What are you saying?
Dont make fun of me! Thats it some bad juju coming your way for tomorrow.
Dont let me get ahold of any of your shmanchyPhancy brass!

For clarity : clips loaded so the first round to chamber on left or right.
Fun stuff: maybe its time for another low quality video....

What are you saying?
Dont make fun of me! Thats it some bad juju coming your way for tomorrow.
Dont let me get ahold of any of your shmanchyPhancy brass!

For clarity : clips loaded so the first round to chamber on left or right.
Fun stuff: maybe its time for another low quality video....

No, just trying to figure out what you mean.

I heard there are cameras in the pits to prevent payoffs for score padding, just so you know. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom