Gas blocks?

GunGrey

Banned
Im looking for opinions and FHE on some of these

YHM
YHM9395.jpg

Armalite
Medium%20Images%5Ceu0240mpkitmedium.jpg

I have no first hand experience whatsoever but I really do find flip up sights to be overly ghey.

Now the 45 degree canted operator-ghetto gangster style sights is where I'd drop my money...

I have the yhm ones, only I have the rail on the bottom and not the sling attachment. It is strong, no-nonsense, no-frills. Not the lightest in weight, but no issues at all with operation/function and it does offer the option for unobstructed optics if you want that.

Dave

Oh crap, you PM'd me about this, and I forgot to get back to you, then I deleted all my PM's and lost it.

I will write up something for ya a little later on when work settles down.

Sorry about that.

I have the yhm ones, only I have the rail on the bottom and not the sling attachment. It is strong, no-nonsense, no-frills. Not the lightest in weight, but no issues at all with operation/function and it does offer the option for unobstructed optics if you want that.

Dave

I don't really want to run a rails because I don't have enough shit to put on them. The only thing I'm worried about is runnin the yhm with NonFF handguards an having to use the retaining cap.

I've found the yhm for a decent price and unjust wanted to get some feedback on them.

I dont know if it should be a concern or im just being overly stupid

but the retaining ring is only held in place by the gas block right? Im worried about the gas block shifting forward due to the pressure on the retaining ring.

OK, so I have a few minutes...

My first AR upper had the YHM folder you are asking about. What is nice about it is you don't have to worry about drilling and pinning the front sight to the barrel. I did not like the upper in it's original form, I wanted a long FF rail instead of the mid length rail I had, so I took a dremel to the sight portion and cut it up to fit under the new rail I bought. It still worked fine, just without the sight portion.

There should be no issue using a hand guard retaining cap, the only thing I will recomend is using loctite on the threads of the screws.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a spot machined on your barrel to catch the retaining cap, just slide it on, then install the gas block, easy peasy.

have you had it loosen?
Does it shift? say after a mag dump.
Have you dropped it/hit something with it and have it move?

loctite the screws, I never had mine loosen. I never noticed it shift, however I rarely shot it with the iron sights, I was to cool for school with an EoTech. I shot probably close 3k through that upper with some form of the YHM gas block on the barrel, it was pretty legit.

loctite the screws, I never had mine loosen. I never noticed it shift, however I rarely shot it with the iron sights, I was to cool for school with an EoTech. I shot probably close 3k through that upper with some form of the YHM gas block on the barrel, it was pretty legit.

good to know

I think im gonna buy it and use it till i stash away enough cash to get an aimpoint or another mircodot

yea i could do that too didnt even think of that

how much did the smith charge you for it ?

I had a couple of other things done too. If it was just the 2 set screws, maybe $50. Not even.

It was my 1st build. So he installed the barrel, tightened down my barrel nut, installed the gas tube, installed the F marked FSB, and put the 2 set screws in for $75.

So if it was just the 2 set screws, maybe $40? Not sure. If you want his info let me know. I'll send you a PM. Kind of far from you, but he dopes excellent work.

Last edited:
I have seen one of the YHM clamp on gas block/sights shift, on one of MassMarks rifles. It had run without issues for what I'd estimate to be 1k rounds, and then abruptly developed a POI shift and FTF/FTE problems. The gas system on that upper had other issues that were pushing it towards failure, so the gas block shifting was the last straw, not the total cause of the FTFs. The undersized gas tube and a gas port that hadn't been opened up when the barrel had been cut shared the blame for those.

Since we were committed to a clamp on style because of the permanent brake, and I wasn't interested in determining if the barrel or gas block was out of round, or burred, or just had some ugly tolerance stacking, I taper pinned it on after realigning the sight and finding the right gas port size. No problems since. I did lose a little faith in the clamp on sights in the process, but I wouldn't say that one failure on one rifle makes them suspect.

I've done a couple of builds with those Armalite A2 style clamp on gas blocks / sights. Torqued the bolts to 35 in-lbs (in sequence, tighten one, then the other, at a given torque setting until they both click, increase torque, etc.). It's not gonna budge.

Back
Top Bottom