Gentle reminder. A duty to carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take a shot in defense of me and/or my family. Otherwise I'll be a responsible witness. It's everyone's right to defend themselves. And it is their right not to. Because one chooses not to doesn't mean it is automatically my responsibility because I choose to carry.

I hate to be like that but that is how society is today.

If I'm walking down the street and see a mugging I am in defense of myself mode. I'll tell the police what I saw but that's as far as my involvement will go.

Too may people go to jail while trying to "do the right thing". I will not.

And I would expect no different treatment if I am the potential victim. It's just how we are these days.

I am with you. A hero I am not and respect the $hit out of those that are.

Until this country changes its mentality about firearms and changes the damn laws (esp in MA), I will carry to protect only myself and loved ones.

Most of us don't know what it's like on here to be shot at, I'm sure there are a few that do though.
I can only speak for myself and I'm not sure how I would react in an active shooter situation. Like most of you my concern would be getting out safe along with whomever I am with.

HOWEVER I can't say that is where it would end, and I'd like to think you wouldn't either.

I'm not saying be a hero, but "be a good witness", really? Is that our mentality? You have no "duty" to risk your life for others and sure it depends on your amount of training, but would you leave someone's grandma behind to be shot in the face? I can't say I would, and again I can't say I wouldn't.

I don't think it's as black and white as we're making it sound. I'm no hero, nor am I an oporatuer, but I can't say I would step aside and be a good witness.

You should have been the one to shoot Tsarnaev in the boat in Watertown, walking down the street with your wife and kids.

I'm sure you wouldn't have been misidentified as another active shooter by the trigger happy immune-from-prosecution exigency-fueled SWAT team, and there's no way your family would have caught any friendly fire.

I've always thought how awesome it would have been if that homeowner (Henneberry) had cuffed Tsarnaev in the boat and handed him off to the authorities and told them to take the rest of the day off. How priceless would that have been?

Why is everyone talking in such absolutes? Every situation will be different. Active shooters are kind of like multiplayer video games. Sometimes you appear in front of a guy doing a mag dump and you are screwed, sometimes you appear behind them and have a free shot. Do what you can do.

Some people think carrying is a guarantee of safety when its just something that at best improves your odds.

I will say there is a lot of Bruce Willis fantasy boys out there who think are going to waste a squad of AK toting lunatics with a M&P Shield and some YouTube ninja skills.

Last edited:
I don't think that the duty is placed on the individual to protect the masses in an active shooter situation. Being a "hero" in that situation means you got lucky. The duty is for the masses to be able to protect themselves in that situation. Concealed carry is for self defense and if a large enough percent of the population is willing and able to defend themselves, the effectiveness of these mass shootings drops. Sadly most people don't have much interest since "it will never happen to them". We have a society full of targets and victims and the bad guys of the world will take advantage of that as long as they can.

I'm sorry, but articles like that kind of ping my derp meter. I get the sentiment of the article, but just putting a gun to stop an active shooter, is like putting on sneakers will get you ready to run a marathon. If you are carrying a gun with the express intent of using it to fight, there is a lot more that should be going into it. I'm not shitting on any particular group, I've seen people from ALL backgrounds that are fooling themselves with their defensive gun-fighting capabilities (including myself for a time). The other issue is that you are far more likely to have to verbally, physically, or medically manage an issue in your life before you ever pull a gun. Prepare for the violence continuum.

TL; DR the whole thread (I'm on lunch but need to get back to work. But I'd just like to post an excerpt from a Larry Correia post here.

Larry Correia said:
Paris. Coming soon to a location near you. Mumbai, Beslan, and a thousand others, we’ve seen this before, and we’ll see it again.

On the personal, local level, this is another example of why you should carry a gun. No, we don’t expect every permit holder to be a Navy SEAL, just a speed bump. The best way to stop a mass shooter is an immediate violent response. At best, you drop them before they can hurt too many people. At worst, congratulations you were a distraction, but even distractions can save lives or derail plans.

Running is great. I’ll never fault somebody who chooses to run or hide when bad things happen. Every one of us has a different level of training, knowledge, and commitment, and what is the right answer for you, isn’t the right answer for your grandma. If you are the kind of person to get involved, you need to have a clue. However, since the only constant of gunfights is that they suck for somebody, you can do everything right and still die. On the bright side you at least bought everybody else some time.

For those of you with the time to read the whole thing: http://monsterhunternation.com/2015/11/16/thoughts-on-paris/

But it several people earlier in the thread said to summarize "I have no duty, unless a accept it".

To some extent that is true. And you can shirk any duty you want. No worries.

But it we all have a duty, for example, to defend the constitution. Obviously here the second amendment. But also, in regards to the durkas who don't like anyone drawing a caricature of the camel humping pedophile Mohammed, we have a duty to defend the first amendment.

You DO have a duty to your neighbors. You DO have a duty to your fellow citizens.

No, I don't. I don't remember taking an oath or anything like that saying so. I would do things like defend the constitution because I want to, not because I'm commanded to by some kind of oath or other imperative type thing. I also might be able to pick and choose whether I want to leave a mall thats under seige or go scalp some durkas before I leave.

How would the plane that went down in a Pennsylvania field on 9/11 have gone if everyone in that plane said "hey, let's just wait this out, maybe they won't crash us into a building and we can live another day"

That has nothing to do with "duty" and more like simply a desire to do the right thing. "Duty" implies some kind of strict obligation, like taking an oath or something like that. Or a law that dictates that you must do something. (For example, Jury Duty is a civic duty because the law says so).

You could argue its a moral obligation, perhaps, but where does that come from? Church?

I realize I sound like an a-hole here, for being pedantic, but using the term "Duty" implies that if someone doesn't do something, they're awful, and that simply isn't the case. "Shaming" people into carrying guns is ****ing stupid.

-Mike

Last edited:
I can't wait to be a speed bump / distraction. I've been living my whole life just for that one singular moment.

I do NOT have any duty, responsibility, or desire to be a "speed bump".

Oh and for the record, yeah I took an oath. I did. Done. Been released from said oath. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nobody was asking but since you brought it up, I think that is a pretty shameful position.

This kind of opens up the whole question of civic duty, doesn't it? Do we as citizens have the responsibility to be involved in our communities and the functioning of the government to the extent that we work to make it operate the way we think it should? It is obvious that a great many people today do not get involved, and the government does whatever it wants because of this.

Even if we are libertarians, shouldn't we be out there working to ensure that the government is run in as libertarian fashion as possible? We sure spend a lot of time arguing amongst ourselves about this stuff...

This kind of opens up the whole question of civic duty, doesn't it? Do we as citizens have the responsibility to be involved in our communities and the functioning of the government to the extent that we work to make it operate the way we think it should? It is obvious that a great many people today do not get involved, and the government does whatever it wants because of this.

Even if we are libertarians, shouldn't we be out there working to ensure that the government is run in as libertarian fashion as possible? We sure spend a lot of time arguing amongst ourselves about this stuff...

you stole the next idea I was going to write about. This thread is fairly depressing. Even at a place where most of us should be like minded, half more or less don't know or care what duty is. And what responsible citizens in a free republic must do to maintain their liberties. It seems that many are just about fleeing and staying alive. Makes you wonder if that attitude had prevailed in Concord Common over 2 centuries ago, where would we be now? More later when I have time. But +1 for stealing my idea.

pop quiz hot shot:

you're at the mall.

the pop pop blat blat of a gat, a kalashnigat specifically rings out in the food court.

you're checking out the latest and greatest 5.11 pants in dick's. you have on you a dull knife, a glock 26, and one spare mag full of lint. that's a total of 21 rounds.

you have your wife and small child with you, the exit of the store is less than 50 yards away, the food court is 200+ yards away.

WPRRbew.jpg

what do you do?​

Make sure wife and kids get out to the car safely.
Then go back and see who else you can safely get out of the mall.....?

How'd I do?

Shoot the hostage?

Getting my wife and children out safely putting down any bad guy that tries to stop me.

both are extremely acceptable responses however we're apparently cowards for doing so and we would not make good revoluti-buddies.

Make sure wife and kids get out to the car safely.
Then go back and see who else you can safely get out of the mall.....?

How'd I do?

you died. after bad guy #1 opened up, bad guy #2 detonated a suicide vest on the 1st floor underneath you.

turn to page 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom