• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Georgia: All employees required to get concealed weapons license

DW357

NES Member
http://www.myfoxboston.com/news/bus...ed-to-get-concealed-weapons-license/105663186

I did a few searches so hopefully not a dupe. But I could be wrong....

Anyway, glad to see this get into the news. Though I'm not sure if the Taurus Judge would be my first recommendation for a CC weapon for employees....But it's better than no gun of course.

An Atlanta business owner with several offices in Georgia is now requiring all of his employees to get a concealed carry license and be armed.

Business owner Lance Toland said after hearing about recent home invasions and violent crime in the metro Atlanta area, he came up with the new office mandate.

“They all had their conceal carry permit within three to four weeks of me announcing that this was something you had to do,” he said. “With the presentation of their license, they all got a 410 Judge Pistol.”

After each employee at Lance Toland Associates gets their license, Toland presents them with a gun known as the judge. He says it is one of the most effective self-defense weapons and all his aviation insurance agencies carry them openly in the office.

“Everybody has one of these in their drawer or on their person. I would not want to come into one of my facilities,” Toland said. “It's a 5 shot 410, just like a shotgun and you call it hand cannon.”
Toland said he did it out of concern for his employees’ safety.
“I have a number of offices and most of my employees are women,” he says.

Toland has offices in Griffin, St. Simons Island and Atlanta where they insure aircrafts worldwide.
Andrea Van Buren said the mandate is a great idea for other companies, if employees agree to several things.
“As long as they are willing to get the training, become an expert and if you pull it out, you have to be ready to use it,’ she said.

Toland says several high-profile business owners who have private planes he insures may follow his lead.
“A lot of my clients are high fiving when they hear this. They think it's the best things for a company to mandate gun ownership and be responsible,” he said.

Last edited:
So do they have the option of carrying something different ..... not sure I would want to carry a Tarus Judge around in the office.

It doesn't seem like they can carry something different but not sure:
After each employee at Lance Toland Associates gets their license, Toland presents them with a gun known as the judge. He says it is one of the most effective self-defense weapons and all his aviation insurance agencies carry them openly in the office.

Friday, 5:00pm
14c71cc98b4ce9bd27de4f03def68fec.jpg

Well, that's one way to avoid hiring a felon.

Cue lawsuit from "prohibited persons" (felons, etc) in 3.... 2.... 1....

See "Disparate Impact".

Last edited:
Yeah I question the analysis the owner has of it being the "most effective self defense weapon".

Agreed. I've never shot a Judge or Govenor but I'd assume the trigger pull and recoil might be an issue for someone who doesn't regularly train with it? Assuming he's giving them 410 buckshot or slugs to load them with. Then there's capacity...Again it's better than no gun of course.

Agreed. I've never shot a Judge or Govenor but I'd assume the trigger pull and recoil might be an issue for someone who doesn't regularly train with it? Assuming he's giving them 410 buckshot or slugs to load them with. Then there's capacity...Again it's better than no gun of course.

yeah it would hurt to get hit over the head when someone threw it at me ....

Yeah I question the analysis the owner has of it being the "most effective self defense weapon".

Me too, but I don't think it matters. If I'm thinking of businesses to rob, the one where everyone has a Judge won't be on my list at all. Hell, it would t be on my list if all the employees had .22 Rugers, either. As long as there's a business nearby where no employee's got anything, that's the one I'm going to hit.

For a nightstand gun, loaded with buck, it will do the job.
The lazer grips are decent
It would be like carrying a manhole cover though.

Me too, but I don't think it matters. If I'm thinking of businesses to rob, the one where everyone has a Judge won't be on my list at all. Hell, it would t be on my list if all the employees had .22 Rugers, either. As long as there's a business nearby where no employee's got anything, that's the one I'm going to hit.
Just stick to national chains if you are a hold up artist - you're sure to encounter gun free workplaces.

The Judge is perfectly effective...if loaded with .45 Colt.

In which case it's pointlessly large, with wasted cylinder space that could be better used for barrel length.

If you want a shotgun, get a shotgun. If you want a DA revolver, get one in an effective caliber. If you want a gun that people don't hate carrying, get a polymer 9mm. (And I say that as someone who carries a full size all-steel 1911.)

Actually, this is really interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if the courts came up with some BS dissent stating that "just because you have a right doesn't mean you have to use it" which would then open all the other doors to stuff it back up the @$$ of the .gov.

While it's a good idea to have everyone in a company armed, it should be voluntary and not mandatory.

Apply this to other civil rights - boss comes in and says "everyone has to report to a protest on the state house lawn at 3pm. You're expected to write an essay for the protest while not on company time."

Good concept, poor application of it. If you want employees to carry, just say "OK, permit application is on the company dime and we'll throw in $500 for a handgun of your choice."

Besides, why the hell would you issue everyone Judges? They make Glocks in Georgia, a decent 1911 can be bought for $750 or less and there's a long list of decent guns that sell around $600, $650 new. Not to mention Makarovs, Tokarevs, CZ82s...

I heard this on Howie Carr tonight on the way home...he outed himself as a Fudd saying it was really stupid

While it's a good idea to have everyone in a company armed, it should be voluntary and not mandatory.
There are many places that wont hire smokers, thats not voluntary at all. Looks like this one wont hire non gun owners.. They took a page out of the liberals handbook, progress!

Cue lawsuit from "prohibited persons" (felons, etc) in 3.... 2.... 1....

See "Disparate Impact".

Snort; that's probably best feature of it. Talk about leveraging the government for a cheap search for criminal records.

While it's a good idea to have everyone in a company armed, it should be voluntary and not mandatory. ...

The ability to have a PP-free workforce is priceless; maybe even more beneficial than the self-defense aspect. You'd think that's a pretty low bar to set, but with how many jobs in the insurance industry would it be inconsistent with business necessity to keep out all the felons?

I heard this on Howie Carr tonight on the way home...he outed himself as a Fudd saying it was really stupid

I wasn't listening closely, but it's a lead-pipe cinch that he hasn't absorbed a lot of the consequences of Mass gun laws. Howie needs to spend a nice long day at the University of Len.

Snort; that's probably best feature of it. Talk about leveraging the government for a cheap search for criminal records.

I was thinking the very same thing. Besides, I doubt "prohibited person" is a protected class in Georgia.

The .410 handguns are made for close in work. They could load them with bird shot and it would still be effective against someone 5 feet away.
I have never owned, fired, or even held a Taurus but I can't believe they could mess up a revolver that much.
The kick from my governor isn't to bad, it has a lot of mass to absorb it, but the 45acp and colt rounds are still coming out of a 2" barrel so its not a range gun

I shot one once. With .45Colt ammo, I was not impressed with the accuracy.

My governor was key holing with the 45 colt ammo at 50 ft but was fine with 45 acp? Didn't spend time trying to figure it out, but at 5 ft if I can't hit a man sized target even if the bullet is flying sideways I should sell my guns anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It didn't say but my guess is that he required them to get the license and he didn't want to burden them with the cost of a new firearm so he provided one. And he chose The Judge. Cool gun. Bad a$$ name too. Seems if they want to buy their own they can carry that one as long as they train with it and become and expert user of it. That makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom