• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

German Luger 9mm Parabellem

radioman

NES Member
I've always wanted a German Lugar ever since I was a little tike. I own and have owned several Ruger 22's to get me by till now. I'm getting up there in age I would like to start checking things off my bucket list and this is one of them. I know nothing about Lugar's. What I do know is I would like a shooter. It doesn't matter if it has any Providence. Matter of fact might be better if it didn't. I'm looking for an inexpensive shooter if that is even possible. A fair condition gun would fit the bill. Must be safe to shoot regular. If it needs minor repairs that would be OK. Can anybody tell me what I'm looking at pricewise for something that fits that description?

I was curious and looked at Gunbroker.
P08 Lugers seem to start at around $500 - $1k; over $2k for very good condition; over $10k for presentation quality.
Magazines (non-Mecgar) seem to run in excess of $100.

Someone on here will be more specific on the shop in MA, but I think it's "pack and postal". Guy specializes in Lugers, has walls of them, he can educate you on the variations and surely have something to meet your needs.

Was out at the club after an IPSC match and one of the guys had a luger he let some of us shoot. Pitted and dark bore plus the gun showed lots of abuse. Gun shot point of aim through the entire mag I put through it. What an eye opener.

I just bought a Luger a couple of months ago at "Pack and Postal". They did have a wall full of them. A lot were 7.62 mm though. Prices of Lugers keep going up and up. Everything that met my criteria on GB and I thought started at a reasonable price ended up selling for close to $2000. I was looking for WW2 era all matching numbers in nice shape. In doing my research, many people said decent shooters could be found in the $500 to $600 range, but I think you have to be very lucky to find those. I would expect to pay right around $1000. A lot of info can be found at the Luger Forum (www.lugerforum.com I believe). Also a place called Simpson LTD (www.simpsonltd.com) specializes in Luger sales. In my experience, it you find one for a decent price, jump on it. I missed out on a few that I found by waiting too long.

BTW, the two most accurate handguns I own are my Luger and my WW2 era Walther P38.

FYI, most Luger's greatly prefer 124gr bullets. Using 115gr bullets, especially American factory ammo, expect the gun to jam at least some of the time.

I don't know about MA prices, but Luger's with matching numbers and in 80% or better condition are running $1500 and up

I was interested in one, too. After doing a little research recently and seeing it would probably be $1000+ for a shooter that might not be reliable, I think I will look for a P.38 instead. The Amoskeag auction coming up has a bunch, I think they are priced mostly in the $2k-$4k range, with a few worn ones in the $1000-$1500 range, and there were a couple $1800 ones. There was a chromed modern one for $500-$700.

Go to gun broker. I personally own a BYF 1941, all matching, all marks, all correct. Eats 115 and 124 with no issue. It points naturally for me. Sights are something to get used to, but let me tell you, they are accurate and fun shooters. Expect to pay a pretty penny. Mine, I rub with a diaper. It only goes out to the range on occasions. It's a bit of a safe queen.

If you participate in the live auctions (e.g. Poulin or Amoskeag) there will usually be a number of decent Lugers that sell in the $600 to $1000 range. What's nice is that they usually group lots by type so it will generally be luger after luger.... so you can try over and over again on Proxibid. Watch gunbroker too. I was really impressed at what I was able to get my all matching/ non-import 1915 DWM for.

Back
Top Bottom