Get Home Bag

I’ve left home probably 3 times in the last month to ‘go to town’ for gas/groceries and to buy a log splitter and a pole saw.

My get home bag could be a Fanny pack full of beef jerkey and rolos.
Don't forget a back pocket hanky or a couple tissues tucked into your long sleeves.

No, no, I've got it!
1667270893411.png1667270945725.png

1667271028815.png

OK, I didn’t want to open a new thread, so I’m pulling this one from the grave.
Point of the bag: get home/short duration outdoor bag. WHAT AM I MISSING? Here‘s what I either have or ordered:
- Aqua quest 10x10 tarp, defender model
- 100 feet paracord.
- Grayl water purifier (unlike filters, this takes out viruses, chlorine, heavy metals etc)
- Tent stakes (I know I can make my own. But why tho?)
- Silky bigboy pro folding saw.
- mess kit and spork
- a chèche (French army equivalent of the shemagh)
- IFAK
- 4” custom made knife
- 10” kershaw camp 10 for camp chores
- Snugpak jungle blanket
- ferro rod
- 2 bic lighters
- Coleman mini camp stove + fuel
- insulating sleeping mat
- single wall water bottle
- Esbit fire starters
- 2 nite ize cord tighteners
- dried soups/food/milk powder/Swiss miss/moist wipes/toilet paper
- a “don’t die in the woods” Mylar bivy
- poncho
- 2 pairs of darn tough socks
All of it carried in a 3v Velox with a 2L water bladder. Shelter stuff is carried in an additional bag (attached to the main bag for immediate access) and a jacket will get strapped to it as well. My truck guns are a 9.5” AR pistol in 300 chillout and a canik TP9 SA.
Am I missing anything essential?
Light, I carry both a headlamp and a decent torch in the 500 lumen range, I forget what Fenix model it is.

So how many have actually tried to see how far they could go with these packs
I used to fill my ruck with rocks for the 2 mile run to the motor pool
Now

1667316407731.png
As long as I'm able to make it to my RV I'm good
1667316775221.png

Light, I carry both a headlamp and a decent torch in the 500 lumen range, I forget what Fenix model it is.
I forgot about that. Surefire G2X, a cheap Wally World headlamp, and a Cyallume glow stick shield with 4 white light sticks. The shield is actually awesome. Lets you dim a glowstick down to nothing. The 4 sticks give me 4 full nights of light without the need for batteries.

On the subject of getting home what about the clothing you wear everyday, obviously it is different depending on the environment you work in. I'm starting to work from the office again and looking for sturdy footwear and pants that are rugged but blend in an office environment, I had found some dockers years ago that wore like iron and were comfortable but sadly no longer made. I have tried to covert 5.11 but just not a fan of the fit. for boots I'm thinking the iron ranger may fit in or maybe some Timberland dress boots

On the subject of getting home what about the clothing you wear everyday, obviously it is different depending on the environment you work in. I'm starting to work from the office again and looking for sturdy footwear and pants that are rugged but blend in an office environment, I had found some dockers years ago that wore like iron and were comfortable but sadly no longer made. I have tried to covert 5.11 but just not a fan of the fit. for boots I'm thinking the iron ranger may fit in or maybe some Timberland dress boots
I'm planning on replacing my slip on merrells and will probably keep my old pair in the car. I don't have replscent clothes but I should keep a light jacket or sweatshirt atleast.

I only have to go around 40 miles, so I have mostly long term food ( mt house ) and a drinking straw if needed. Some very basics things like a saw, cord and basic medical. Food and water to me are my priority's for the bag, shelter I could camp out in a abandoned car or I used to work as a sub for AT&T and have all the codes and gate combos for most of the north east, so I could say open a shelter and sleep inside, with the gate locked behind me.

Protection, is my G26 and my Sub2K, I carry a few mags loaded and ready to be used. Simple gun goes bang and will do the job. Prior to Sub2K I had a single shot .410, a pump .410 and a Ruger .22 take down that all found its way on my rides with me for years.
No real loss if someone steels my truck or breaks in, plus .410 I can carry 3 times as much as say 12G, .22 I could carry 4 times as much as .410 and lets face it getting hit with a .22 from a rifle will put just about anyone down. Light weight, does the job, cheap ( once was ) and no real loss if stolen.

On the subject of boots, buy Origin of Maine. I won't wear anything else, now. The Coronado may blend nicely in the office.

I have some 5.11 pants. They don't look tacticool.

They're even water resistant, so in a downpour with 8 in boots, i stay rather dry

I usually keep my last pair of sneakers in my truck. Less for "bugging out" or whatever, but more for any given summer day when I am out Crocin' or Flip-floppin'. I don't wear through shoes like I used to, but when I finally replace my Salomon's I will surely put the old ones in place of the Adidas kicks I have in there now.

"Serious Men have Serious Tools..." ^^^

A cordless chainsaw and a tow strap are always part of my kit. Out here in the Shire encountering a downed tree is one of the most likely obstacles keeping me from getting home.
I’ve tried several of those. They just do not work. Binding, breaking, you name it. The silky saw I carry has a 14” blade and makes quick work of anything up to 8-9 inch limbs and stems.

I usually keep my last pair of sneakers in my truck. Less for "bugging out" or whatever, but more for any given summer day when I am out Crocin' or Flip-floppin'. I don't wear through shoes like I used to, but when I finally replace my Salomon's I will surely put the old ones in place of the Adidas kicks I have in there now.
1667690195315.png

Back
Top Bottom