Get your license in 1 day class

cockpitbob

NES Member
The Cape Ann Amateur Radio club in Gloucester is giving its Tech-in-a-Day class in about a week: Saturday April 27th. Three years ago a bunch of NESers got their tickets that day. Show up at 8:30 with $20 and leave at about 5:00 a little tired, but with your ham license. See link and this flier for more details. They usually have coffee, sodas and snacks free. Bring your own lunch or go out to a local place for lunch. They'll have a list of recommended places close by.

No need to pre-study, but it doesn't hurt.

Basically the drill is:
* First half hour is introduction and orientation.
* Then three 1 hour segments of 45min silent study and 15min to clear your head.
* Then lunch.
* Then 3 more 1 hour study sessions.
* Then the test.

If you pass the Technician test it cost nothing to try the General licenst test. If you pass that try the Extra class licenst test.

When my 11yo son and I did it there were about 25 people in the class. My son passed and everyone older than him (except one ditzy blonde) passed. Several also passed the General test. One guy passed all 3 that evening.

If you barely failed the Technician test but want try to again FCC rules require $15, but give it a try. The questions are different each try and the first try might have hit all your weak spots.

The philosphy is: Don't worry about the theory. If you stick with ham radio the theory will come in time. Just learn the correct test answers and learn enough of the rules and procedures to stay out of trouble.

The license is good for 10 years and there is no re-test if you renew within a wide grace period after 10 years.

Last edited:
Outstanding. That makes 4 NESers I know of, plus my boy's archery instructor.

I'll pass on a little advice. It's a fairly long day and the chairs are folding metal chairs. When I took the class someone suggested I bring a seat cushion. Before lunch I was too proud to use it but after lunch I decited my butt was distracting my head so I got it from the car.

Do they have any other dates?
They do this twice a year. They give just the test monthly (2nd Sunday of the month at 10:00). So if you get your tech this Saturday but miss the General, just do the on-line practice tests for a few weeks and then show up at the clubhouse (with $15 for the FCC) and take the General then try the Extra.

Again, for no known logical reason the FCC requires $15 to take the test but if you pass, taking the next test up is free, but re-taking the next test up cost $15.

That makes 7 from NES! Now I know where the cool kids table in the room will be [smile].

I'll show up sometime after lunch to help with the testing in the afternoon.
--
Bob

I got an email back from Stan.

The next class is going to be in October.

Both my wife (Cowgirlup on NES) and I are going to def. sign-up for that one.

(can't make this one due to this Sat. work schedules that we both have).

The one day class is a great concept but you don't have to wait until October. If you study on your own it will probably take you about 10-12 hours to be ready for the test. It will be particularly easy if you and your wife study together. Then you can find a test site and get your ticket sooner. There are tests in decent driving distance every week. Some weekdays, weeknights and weekends.

I got an email back from Stan.

The next class is going to be in October.

Both my wife (Cowgirlup on NES) and I are going to def. sign-up for that one.

(can't make this one due to this Sat. work schedules that we both have).

We might not last until October.

I would not wait that long, if someone is interested in getting licensed, just order the Tech study guide and start reading it, taking online practice exams and review the FCC question pool. Tests are given all the time throughout the region, probably somewhere close to your residence.

Memorize if you have to, as you will learn ten times more once you can start operating.

People need to think of ham radio as a force multiplier, which takes your SHTF communication plan to another level.

When the lights go out, the internet and POTS are down and cell towers are overloaded and no traffic can get through, local ham traffic along with scanner traffic will be the only way to stay informed.

At the very least, go out and get your radio now, so you can start listening and learning while you study.

What rights are granted with each license?
In short, the Technician license gets you short wavelengths good mostly for line of site communications so you won't be talking 1,000s of miles. More like dozens of miles. The General class license gets you all the longer wavelength bands on which you can talk around the world. The Extra class license gets you just a tiny bit more.

Study this chart
The chart also shows some old licenses that old timers still have but now there are only 3 levels of licenses:

Technician: Gets you part of the 10M band (28MHz) and all higher frequencies. You also can do Morse on parts of the 15M, 40M and 80M bands, but no voice. The 2M and higher freq. bands are basically line of site. 6M and 10M aren't a lot better except sometimes the atmospheric conditions do intersting stuff and you can talk to other continents.

General: Now you can talk around the world on any band. It gets you all the other bands, though there are little segments in some bands that require the next higher license.

Extra: Gets you the last little segments of some bands. There's very little value in getting an extra except that you can talk in those exclusive segments of the bands (you get to sit at the cool kid's table).

I emailed asking to be registered but haven't heard back. Any idea how long it should take?
Stan, the guy spearheading it works like the rest of us and can get behind. If it's been more than 48hrs shoot him another email. If you haven't heard back by Thursday pm you may be trapped in a spam filter. If so, PM me and I'll contact him.

Stan, the guy spearheading it works like the rest of us and can get behind. If it's been more than 48hrs shoot him another email. If you haven't heard back by Thursday pm you may be trapped in a spam filter. If so, PM me and I'll contact him.

I emailed Stan around 7:30 monday night, he emailed me back a little after 10PM.

Thanks. I heard back this morning. I guess I'll see you there.

Of course, I'm bringing my son, so we get to see who scores higher.

Darn wish I had seen this sooner. At least I know where the test is offered and when. Buying the book next week.

I'll be there along with my roommate.

Just took the Technician practice test online; passed with a 77% on my second try. Hope I do as well on Saturday!

Back
Top Bottom