Get your license in 1 day class

I'll be there along with my roommate.

Just took the Technician practice test online; passed with a 77% on my second try. Hope I do as well on Saturday!
OK, so with the studying you'll do Saturday you are more than guaranteed to pass the Tech. Between now and Saturday focus on studying for the General license. After passing the Tech you can go right back to the table and do the General test for no extra cost.

OK, so with the studying you'll do Saturday you are more than guaranteed to pass the Tech. Between now and Saturday focus on studying for the General license. After passing the Tech you can go right back to the table and do the General test for no extra cost.

Does the General test have more of the legal and operational questions? 'Cause those were where I was doing a lot of guessing.

Does the General test have more of the legal and operational questions? 'Cause those were where I was doing a lot of guessing.
It's been so long that I don't remember clearly but I beleive the General is less of that and more technical. Do a few General tests and see how it feels.

Again, you'll have LOTS of time in the class to get the Tech stuff crammed into your head, so now is a good time to work on the General.

It's been so long that I don't remember clearly but I beleive the General is less of that and more technical. Do a few General tests and see how it feels.

Again, you'll have LOTS of time in the class to get the Tech stuff crammed into your head, so now is a good time to work on the General.
Yeah, well... I actually do have a daytime job that I do work at in between NES posts, so I'm not sure how much time I'll have for that. [wink]

For the test, commit these 3 equations to memory. Just cover the item you need and perform the calculation you see.
I found the last one especially useful since I can't remember what frequencies are in which bands.

Good luck tomorrow!!!!

BobsTestEquations_zps19292a3e.png

Passed the Tech.

Saw a few NESers there.

Thanks to cockpitbob and all the guys who made this day happen.

Chaser made tech too. Nice to meet you.
BillT13 (?) was there too.

It was a great day with great weather for taking the breaks outside.

I got to meet Dwarven1, Pennypincher, Chaser and...nuts...who were the others? All just as good in person as on line!

Here's the tally:
* About 21 people showed up
* All 21 people got their Tech license.
* One person passed the General test. He only missed 2 questions so we bullied him into taking the Extra. He didn't pass.
* My General son, who didn't put nearly enough effort into studying for the Extra also failed.
* The organizer, Stan Stone, came with a bunch of Baofeng dual-band hand helds that he sold for cost ($40) to anyone who wanted to walk out with their first radio. He sold every one so there's a bunch of newly minted hams just aching to see their call sign in the database so they can transmit.

The club is doing it again in about 6 months.

Bob

Last edited:
Missed the general by ONE question. [smile] Since I didn't study for it, I consider that a win.

Now, I just have to figure out that Baofeng...

I followed Bob's advice ( including bringing a butt cushion) and passed both my Tech and General (wohoo!)
Bob then browbeat (cajoled and threatened) me into taking the Extra test....I got 26 right but needed 37...now I have my next goal! Thanks to Stan, Bob and the rest of the crew from the Cape Ann club who ran a great class and congrats to all my classmates that are new Techs. You veteran hams are going to have your hands full with all the noobs! To all the guys on the sidelines thinking about it, c'mon and take the plunge!
Jim (slightly gimpy for awhile)

Name is Bill. Passed the Tech. It was nice to meet most of you. I did not know that this was a thread on this site. I have to start looking into the HAM thread.

Last edited:
Missed the general by ONE question. [smile] Since I didn't study for it, I consider that a win.

Get the usb programming cable if you haven't already. I've been using the CHIRP software under Linux but it's python and will work on PC and Mac as well. It's much easier than manually programming the radio.

Don't even attempt to figure out how to manually program repeaters into that thing. Here's the programming cable I got. Be sure to use the driver in the disk that comes with it. Any other driver won't work.

The software to use is Chirp. It's free and pretty straight forward. Note that it also has canned files for programming the FRS, GMRS and MURS frequencies into it. Technically you can't transmit on those "walkie-talkie" frequencies as the radio isn't FCC approved for them (too much power, removable antenna and other rule violations).

Get the usb programming cable if you haven't already. I've been using the CHIRP software under Linux but it's python and will work on PC and Mac as well. It's much easier than manually programming the radio.

Don't even attempt to figure out how to manually program repeaters into that thing. Here's the programming cable I got. Be sure to use the driver in the disk that comes with it. Any other driver won't work.

The software to use is Chirp. It's free and pretty straight forward. Note that it also has canned files for programming the FRS, GMRS and MURS frequencies into it. Technically you can't transmit on those "walkie-talkie" frequencies as the radio isn't FCC approved for them (too much power, removable antenna and other rule violations).

Thanks so much, guys!

Don't even attempt to figure out how to manually program repeaters into that thing. Here's the programming cable I got. Be sure to use the driver in the disk thaOkit comes with it. Any other driver won't work.

i am bummed i missed the class. can you tell me what radio was offered for sale to the newly minted techs? i already have the cable in my cart.
if you could tell me the manual the class used that would be great too.
i WILL be getting my ticket sooner rather than later.
thanks in advance.

i am bummed i missed the class. can you tell me what radio was offered for sale to the newly minted techs? i already have the cable in my cart.
if you could tell me the manual the class used that would be great too.
i WILL be getting my ticket sooner rather than later.
thanks in advance.

Baofent UV-5R.

What Antenna would you recommend for the UV-5R? I was looking at THIS . I should have purchased it today. Then I can get into the better radios later.
That's a good antenna but at 14.4" it's really long.Here's the one given with the radios sold at the class. It's 7.5" long and only $5.30. The longer one probably works better, but it's so big it's almost like having a radio attached to your antenna, instead of having an antenna attached to your radio.

Actually, the best thing you can do is put a "rat tail" on the HT. It is a 18.5" long piece of wire connected to the case and dangling down. All 1/4 wave antennas have 2 parts. Verticals have the vertical radiator(1/4 wave long) and ground (earth). A horizontal dipole wire antennas have 2 pieces each 1/4 wave long. An HT has the antenna that is designed to be 1/4 wave long, but only the case for the other half. The 18.5" wire is 1/4 wave long and gives it the other half.

See this post for the impressive improvement a rat tail makes.

Last edited:
That's a good antenna but at 14.4" it's really long.Here's the one given with the radios sold at the class. It's 7.5" long and only $5.30. The longer one probably works better, but it's so big it's almost like having a radio attached to your antenna, instead of having an antenna attached to your radio.

I hear you. I was thinking longer and worse case I can put the orig. antenna on. I'm now just waiting on the New call sign to be assigned then I will try to hit some repeaters with the HT. Then I start on my base station at the house. I just need someone to help set it up.

NORTH-EAST'S BIGGEST HAM FLEA MARKET NEXT WEEKEND.

The New England Amateur Radio Fest (a.k.a. Near-Fest) is this weekend from 9:00a.m. FRIDAY until 3:00pm Saturday. It is in NH at the Deerfield fairgrounds. Even if you don't show up until Saturday a.m. you will probably still find good buys on used gear. For my 2M base station I just use a 2M mobil rig (65W), a J-pole antenna in the attic and a 12V power supply, all of which I picked up at a ham flea. I connect the rig to the 12V supply with a cigarette lighter plug and when I go mobile in the car the radio just sits on the seat beside me connected to a the lighter and a magnetic mount antenna I also got at a flea.

There's also a small thread about Near-Fest here on NES.

Where are you?

I hear you. I was thinking longer and worse case I can put the orig. antenna on. I'm now just waiting on the New call sign to be assigned then I will try to hit some repeaters with the HT. Then I start on my base station at the house. I just need someone to help set it up.

Make_MA_2ACompliant was there too and got his Tech, possibly his General?

He missed the General by a few. I'm going to push him into getting his general in the next couple of months.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in Haverhill, Ma. I'm thinking like Cockpitbob. I'm looking to set up a 2 Meter with an antenna in the attic.

Did you join CAARA? I got an email to approve membership for someone in Haverhill.

The New England Amateur Radio Fest (a.k.a. Near-Fest) is this weekend from 9:00a.m. FRIDAY until 3:00pm Saturday. It is in NH at the Deerfield fairgrounds. Even if you don't show up until Saturday a.m. you will probably still find good buys on used gear. For my 2M base station I just use a 2M mobil rig (65W), a J-pole antenna in the attic and a 12V power supply, all of which I picked up at a ham flea. I connect the rig to the 12V supply with a cigarette lighter plug and when I go mobile in the car the radio just sits on the seat beside me connected to a the lighter and a magnetic mount antenna I also got at a flea.

There's also a small thread about Near-Fest here on NES.

Oh, goody... Just what I needed: another place to spend money! [grin] Time to sell a safe queen or two...

On another topic, doing some web surfing when I should be working, I found the following interesting links:

Baofeng UV5R Baofeng UV-5R Baofeng UV-5R site

WP4AOH Baofeng user's blog

:: RepeaterBook.com :: Amateur Radio Repeater Directory

Well... at least this hobby won't cost me money while I'm transmitting. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom