Get your license in 1 day class

+1 for the chuckle[laugh]

DID I LINK TO AN OLD BOOK SOMEWHERE? They change the question pool every 4 years. Lots of questions don't change but enough do that it can affect the strategy of memorizing the correct answers.

No, you linked to a current version. I just went looking for an old version, and found one. I don't really care what's in the current pool of questions since I already passed the test. I'm looking for some explanations for the answers I memorized. For $0.81, how could I go wrong?

Heh. Tried programming the Waltham repeater on 146.64 into it and fouled it up royally... and then I figured out that Chirp can import settings DIRECTLY from repeaterbook.com. The software is darn near as impressive as the radio is!

This was a tapatalk misfire. I meant to simply copy the post for the info!

Taking my tech exam on the 18th.

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

Last edited:
Heh. Tried programming the Waltham repeater on 146.64 into it and fouled it up royally... and then I figured out that Chirp can import settings DIRECTLY from repeaterbook.com. The software is darn near as impressive as the radio is!

Man, that's a busy repeater - LOT of chatter. I'm just laying back and listening for a bit.

It's good too see everyone that I took the class with is getting or has a radio.

3dom (Cathy) ordered one of the Baofengs a day later; she was busy reading through the manual I downloaded a while ago - manual in her lap and radio in her hand.

Bob, you MAY have created 23 monsters here...

3dom (Cathy) ordered one of the Baofengs a day later; she was busy reading through the manual I downloaded a while ago - manual in her lap and radio in her hand.

Bob, you MAY have created 23 monsters here...

That’s Great!! Send me your Call sign in a PM and I will listen. I was talking to madball and cockpitbob the other night. I got one of the Baofengs myself. It is a bit limited unless you have great line of sight to the repeater, none the less a great radio for the price. I have been using my Yaesu 2 meter mobile in my house.

A month late, and a dollar short! I'm just starting out trying to learn on this topic and this class sounds exactly like what I need. Are there other classes, and when will this one be again? I'm in the Worcester area but I'd be willing to drive.

A month late, and a dollar short! I'm just starting out trying to learn on this topic and this class sounds exactly like what I need. Are there other classes, and when will this one be again? I'm in the Worcester area but I'd be willing to drive.

You CAN learn enough without a course. Surf for *several* sites having practice exams. Pick up a book and study it. Find a local Ham club and visit them. When you can consistently nail the exam online, find then next/nearest exam and take it.

after checking out a study guide i have been routinely nailing the practice exams. i really don't want to wait a couple more months to take the test. anyone know of 1 coming up in the next few weeks? or can you tell me where to look? the arrl site lists nothing within 100 miles of my location (not that i want to drive that far anyways).

after checking out a study guide i have been routinely nailing the practice exams. i really don't want to wait a couple more months to take the test. anyone know of 1 coming up in the next few weeks? or can you tell me where to look? the arrl site lists nothing within 100 miles of my location (not that i want to drive that far anyways).

New Ham Info / Classes / VE Testing | Cape Ann Amateur Radio Association
"Amateur Radio exams are held on the second Sunday of each month beginning at 10:00am at the CAARA building. Anyone considering a new license or an upgrade is welcome to test with us. If you will be taking a test, please bring 2 forms of ID and $15.00 for the testing fee. Although you may contact the head of our VE Team to reserve a spot, no pre- registration is necessary, and walk-ins are always welcome."

Also, If you are nailing your Tech start studying for your general. Onece you pass your tech you be offered to take the general that day at no charge.

Danvers at noon tomorrow... American Radio Relay League | Ham Radio Association and Resources
Billerica at 7PM on June 12th... American Radio Relay League | Ham Radio Association and Resources

thanks. i have no idea why that info wasn't coming up for me.....

wtf. i have tried filling in the form on the arrl site seven ways til sunday and still get no results. is there a frikken secret digital handshake i need to be privy to?

Last edited:
ahhhh....it seems that the search only works when you use zip code and leave every other field blank, including deleting the info it fills in automatically when you enter a zip code. odd.

I took my tech test in Holyoke on Friday and aced the test. Now that I have my lic. What should I do for a radio?
I would like to find an old 6 meter trancever would any of you recomend to go this way?

I took my tech test in Holyoke on Friday and aced the test. Now that I have my lic. What should I do for a radio?
I would like to find an old 6 meter trancever would any of you recomend to go this way?

What's your budget?

6m happens when conditions warrant. Any of today's receivers that do HF will most likely to 6m. I always scour QRZ for sales and don't see them to often.

About 75%. For the Tech and General you'll get 35 questions and you need to get 26 right. The Extra is a 50 question test requiring 37 correct.

I got to go do this. I just went to HAMSTUDY.COM and took a test cold. Never opened a book. I scored a 27/35 on the first go. Now I must admit that I have some knowledge of electronics and, as a pilot, I am very familiar with radio operation and theory, so I may have an unfair "head start" here. But if this is all it takes, I'm getting my technicians license and soon.

I got to go do this. I just went to HAMSTUDY.COM and took a test cold. Never opened a book. I scored a 27/35 on the first go. Now I must admit that I have some knowledge of electronics and, as a pilot, I am very familiar with radio operation and theory, so I may have an unfair "head start" here. But if this is all it takes, I'm getting my technicians license and soon.

It doesn't take much more effort to score General and if you put your mind to it you can make Extra.

The higher levels open up more frequencies to you and bands that you can try some cool stuff like moonbounce.

Back
Top Bottom