Get your license in 1 day class

Sounds great! Yea when I have the time I will stop on by. I have a bunch of questions. Just hoping I can hit the repeater from Haverhill.

Depends on antenna, power and terrain. I'm in Ipswich with a hill behind my house and i need all 50w to make the repeater.

Once you get your call sign you can use echolink to listen and get in.

Depends on antenna, power and terrain. I'm in Ipswich with a hill behind my house and i need all 50w to make the repeater.

Once you get your call sign you can use echolink to listen and get in.

Yea all that plays in. I was telling Stan I can hear the repeater clear on my scanner in my basement. So I hope I can hit it. If not all this equipment would be nothing. Haverhill has one but I never hear chatter.

If you can hear it from your basement I would bet a lot you can hit it with an attic J-pole. Maybe not with 4W from an HT, but maybe. If I were any closer I'd plop the mag mount 2M antenna on my car and see how much power I needed to hit the CAARA repeater from your driveway.

If you can hear it from your basement I would bet a lot you can hit it with an attic J-pole. Maybe not with 4W from an HT, but maybe. If I were any closer I'd plop the mag mount 2M antenna on my car and see how much power I needed to hit the CAARA repeater from your driveway.

Cockpit, Thats what i'm thinking on the keyup. I was looking at the Arrow J-pole with the Yaesu FT-7900R. Well if you are around Haverhill let me know.

Cockpit, Thats what i'm thinking on the keyup. I was looking at the Arrow J-pole with the Yaesu FT-7900R. Well if you are around Haverhill let me know.
Good choices. If you like low budget like me, there should be a lot of used mobil rigs and at NearFest. I think I paid $75 for my beat-up FT-2600 2M. Kind of scratched up, but works great.

Good choices. If you like low budget like me, there should be a lot of used mobil rigs and at NearFest. I think I paid $75 for my beat-up FT-2600 2M. Kind of scratched up, but works great.

Yeah i would like to go but I can not make it. I like low budget myself but like New toys. If anyone in Haverhill reads this please let me know if you can hit the CAARA repeater.

Where To Get Gear

In case some of our newly minted hams don't know the common sources, here's where ham gear can be found.

New Gear:
We are fortunate enough to have in Salem, NH the Ham Radio Outlet(a.k.a. HRO or just "the candy store"). Ham Radio Outlet - World's Largest Supplier of Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Equipment. Sales, Supplies, and Service.. Stop in some time. You can see and try some of the gear before buying.

Amazon.com: good source for those cheap Chicom radios like Baofengs.

For used gear some common websites are:
swap.qth.com

eHam.net Amateur Radio Classifieds - Home

This weekend is NEARFEST: http://www.near-fest.com:8084/nearfest/

Every 3rd Sunday is The Flea at MIT in Cambridge. It isn't focused on ham radio but you often find ham stuff there.

eBay

Last edited:
In case some of our newly minted hams don't know the common sources, here's where ham gear can be found.

New Gear:
We are fortunate enough to have in Salem, NH the Ham Radio Outlet(a.k.a. HRO or just "the candy store"). Ham Radio Outlet - World's Largest Supplier of Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Equipment. Sales, Supplies, and Service.. Stop in some time. You can see and try some of the gear before buying.

Amazon.com: good source for those cheap Chicom radios like Baofengs.

For used gear some common websites are:
swap.qth.com

eHam.net Amateur Radio Classifieds - Home

This weekend is NEARFEST: http://www.near-fest.com:8084/nearfest/

Every 3rd Sunday is The Flea at MIT in Cambridge. It isn't focused on ham radio but you often find ham stuff there.

eBay

Also QRZ.com has a forum much like NES with a classifieds section. Stuff goes quick so if you know what you want wait it out and jump fast.

I took the long way home from work after hitting Home Depot. On the on ramp from 495 heading into Haverhill I was real scratchy into the repeater.

Thanks for trying it. What did you have the radio set for Wattage? I was going to put an Arrow Jpole in the attic. I think i should be able to hit it with 50w

Last edited:
Thanks for trying it. What did you have the radio set for Wattage? I was going to put an Arrow Jpole in the attic. I think i should be able to hit it with 50w

I had 50w into a Diamond NR770HB. It's 40 inches high and sits in the stake pocket of my truck so it's only 8 feet to the tip. If you van get your j-pole outside that may help a lot.

Where will you be operating from and how far away, in feet, will your radio be from the antenna?

I had 50w into a Diamond NR770HB. It's 40 inches high and sits in the stake pocket of my truck so it's only 8 feet to the tip. If you van get your j-pole outside that may help a lot.

Where will you be operating from and how far away, in feet, will your radio be from the antenna?

I see I see... I was going to put the radio in my computer room 2nd floor. Then run coax to the attic. I can do j pole the less expensive was or was going to get the Dimond 50. I just don't have a ladder high enough to get to my roof. I was going to go to HRO tomorrow to get gear.

You want to check the FCC ULS database... License Search
But I'm mine hasn't shown up yet.
The Search function isn't very straight forward. If you are searching on your name the format is LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME INITIAL. There is no comma after first name and no period after the middle initial. Also note that it always resets the pulldown to search By Call Sign[rolleyes]. Let us know when it comes in[grin]

The Search function isn't very straight forward. If you are searching on your name the format is LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME INITIAL. There is no comma after first name and no period after the middle initial. Also note that it always resets the pulldown to search By Call Sign[rolleyes]. Let us know when it comes in[grin]

You can also just enter your zip code and scroll through the list.

I had forgotten about the zip code and address search. There must be 40 hams in the little town of 6,700 people I live in. Two right on my street.

For a newbie HAM starting out would you recommend a Dual Band for the 2m and 440 or just a single band? What is used more?
2M is by far the most popular. However most HTs are dual band and there isn't much cost savings in going with a single band HT. I'm not sure about the cost difference in mobile rigs.

Really hoping to catch the next version of this. I'm studying the Tech manual now, but I'd love to try the other tests, too.
I think the next is in October, but Stan (the guy running it) has said it can happen earlier if there's enough interest. I think he needs about 12-15 people to make it big enough to be worth doing.

ANYONE ELSE WANT TO DO THIS BEFORE OCTOBER?

Really hoping to catch the next version of this. I'm studying the Tech manual now, but I'd love to try the other tests, too.

If you are studying the manual on your own you could also just showup somewhere and take the test...I'm not sure where exactly Location, Location is but you can try the arrl site to see if there is a test coming up near you.

Back
Top Bottom