Get your license in 1 day class

Oh, brother... I need to stop checking the database every day.
JitteryLg.gif

I think Stan said not to bother checking before 5pm on Thursday (today). You can start checking again in five hours.

[rolleyes]

Thank you for being so helpful.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need [STRIKE=""]to start studying for my general license[/STRIKE] get back to work. [wink]

I think the next is in October, but Stan (the guy running it) has said it can happen earlier if there's enough interest. I think he needs about 12-15 people to make it big enough to be worth doing.

ANYONE ELSE WANT TO DO THIS BEFORE OCTOBER?

yes, but with a few weeks notice at least. my weekends are usually hectic. that's why i couldn't make the last class. a NES heavy class would be cool.....

The study material is simply the entire pool of ~350 questions with the correct answer in bold. Each person's test has 35 questions pulled from that pool of questions. You simply spend the day memorizing the correct answers. In the process you do learn quite a bit.

You can get the same thing (only better) with the ARRL Q&A book. It has the questions, the answers AND a short explanation of the answer.

As Stan, the guy who organizes it says, don't worry about the theory. Just learn the correct answers and enough of the rules and procedures to stay out of trouble. If you stick with ham radio the theory will come.

Still grinning... saw my call sign yesterday. Now I need to go find me an Elmer... Perhaps Chris or n1zfg has some spare time this weekend.

yes, but with a few weeks notice at least. my weekends are usually hectic. that's why i couldn't make the last class. a NES heavy class would be cool.....

Well, Luv2BFree is interested - she couldn't make the class with her sister and I because she was taking her MSF course! So that's two... Maybe a new thread should be started? CockpitBob?

Still grinning... saw my call sign yesterday. Now I need to go find me an Elmer... Perhaps Chris or n1zfg has some spare time this weekend.

Well, Luv2BFree is interested - she couldn't make the class with her sister and I because she was taking her MSF course! So that's two... Maybe a new thread should be started? CockpitBob?
I've let Stan at the club know that there's a minimum of 2 and probably several more that don't want to wait until the next one in October (I think). I haven't heard back yet. I'm sure he'll say he needs to rest from the last one, but I bet if between us and the CAARA club we could drum up 15 people he would do it around July. I'll start an INterest thread.

Cockpit Bob. I'm a VE. i don't claim to be an expert in the process but if my schedule permits I'm happy to help.

Hi Guys,
I'm checking with Stan to see if he's interested. I can bet he'll want some rest from this one and won't consider doing it again before July. If he's interested and can pick a rough time I'll start a feeler thread and start lining up bodies.

^ i desperately need a class or some talk time with an elmer. my radio experience is pretty much limited to the volume and preset buttons in my car.....
on a side note anyone else notice the irony of the contrast between the terms "elmer" and "fudd"? especially on this forum? [laugh]

^ i desperately need a class or some talk time with an elmer.
Me, too. In the meantime I'm reading and reading and experimenting.

on a side note anyone else notice the irony of the contrast between the terms "elmer" and "fudd"? especially on this forum? [laugh]
Well, yah... but "Elmer" is a complimentary term and "Fudd"... not so much. [laugh]

If you want to do it right, this is definitely the way to go. A real class instead of just memorizing the correct answers.

You mean the tech-in-a-day isn't the way to go?

I demand a refund of my $20
Minus, of course
  • $15 Fee for the test
  • $5 for the book
  • $2 for the name tag
  • $5 for the snacks

Should I make the check out to Stan?

Disclaimer: The above statement was made tongue-in-cheek. It's meant as a joke. Obviously, I got much more than $20 worth from the class. For those who understand my humor, ignore this disclaimer.

BTW, I ordered a 2006 version of the book you suggested for $0.81 from Amazon (plus $3.99 shipping). I figure not too much has changed since 06.

Last edited:
You mean the tech-in-a-day isn't the way to go?

I demand a refund of my $20
Minus, of course
  • $15 Fee for the test
  • $5 for the book
  • $2 for the name tag
  • $5 for the snacks

Should I make the check out to Stan?

Disclaimer: The above statement was made tongue-in-cheek. It's meant as a joke. Obviously, I got much more than $20 worth from the class. For those who understand my humor, ignore this disclaimer.

BTW, I ordered a 2006 version of the book you suggested for $0.81 from Amazon (plus $3.99 shipping). I figure not too much has changed since 06.
+1 for the chuckle[laugh]

DID I LINK TO AN OLD BOOK SOMEWHERE? They change the question pool every 4 years. Lots of questions don't change but enough do that it can affect the strategy of memorizing the correct answers.

The ledgend I was told is that Elmer Fudd is exactly where that term of endearment came from.

The old hams must have been pretty thick skinned. The term Ham is a deragatory one used by the professional operators when the amateurs were allowed on the air wyay back when. Also, each person has a different style of sending morse code. Your style or skill is known as your "fist". This is where ham-fisted came from.

Don't even attempt to figure out how to manually program repeaters into that thing. Here's the programming cable I got. Be sure to use the driver in the disk that comes with it. Any other driver won't work.

The software to use is Chirp. It's free and pretty straight forward. Note that it also has canned files for programming the FRS, GMRS and MURS frequencies into it. Technically you can't transmit on those "walkie-talkie" frequencies as the radio isn't FCC approved for them (too much power, removable antenna and other rule violations).

Heh. Tried programming the Waltham repeater on 146.64 into it and fouled it up royally... and then I figured out that Chirp can import settings DIRECTLY from repeaterbook.com. The software is darn near as impressive as the radio is!

I just learned something.

As well as RadioReference.com and Rfinder.com. From the top menu, click Radio, then Import from Data Source and select your source. I imported a few repeaters from Middlesex County and the BARC one from Suffolk county.

Guess my background as a computer geek shows, huh.

Back
Top Bottom