Getting a doctor's letter to hunt with a crossbow in MA

Friend of mine is getting up there in age, and he can't use a bow as effectively as he once did. He'd like to get a crossbow, but has some concerns.

His main concern is if he will be marked as disabled in the eyes of the Commonwealth.

My understanding is that this is not a big deal right now, but with the integration of all your health records with the IRS, the State, Insurance companies etc etc, could this come back to bit him, either now or in the future?

Anyone have any experience, pro or con with getting a doctor's not for a crossbow?

Thanks!

My uncle had a serious shoulder injury and could no longer pull a bow back with one arm, so his doctor simply stated this fact in a letter on the practice letterhead and filled out the Crossbow application.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/df...ing/licensing/crossbow-permit-application.pdf

Was a simple process, he was not considered disabled for any other part of the government. His shoulder is just such a mess that he cannot pull back a conventional bow.

I have a friend who has done this as well. He is in his 60s and has shoulder issues. If I had the time to take up deer hunting again, I would do the same. I've had shoulder problems as well and my strength was marginal 10 years ago -- now I simply don't have the strength.

I had no problem getting mine years ago in both Mass and Connecticut. Back then you had to go in for an interview in Connecticut to get approved for a crossbow permit; now they are considered archery equipment so no permit is needed. The Massachusetts permit only took a few weeks to get back then.

If he is concerned my suggestion would be to fill it out with the exception of the diagnosis and doctors signature and bring it to your next appointment and have the doctor fill it out at the end of the appointment (after the doctor has logged out of the computer) AND TAKE IT WITH YOU. Do not leave it with the doctor. Once the doctor has closed out of the system it is unlikely that they will log back in to make a notation in your chart for something as minor as a crossbow form.

As a general rule, I never ever leave a form with the doctor to process and mail. That way I know how it was filled out and when it was sent in.

I have a friend that left the paperwork for a handicapped placard with the doctor. Next thing he knows the placard shows up in the mail and a letter telling him that he needs to surrender his DL. As I am sure you can imagine it took some doing to get the doctor to get it straightened out with DMV.

Bob

ETA:

BTW the injury MUST be permanent or he will not qualify.

Last edited:
My dad (68yo) had shoulder issues and couldn't pull his bow back at the lowest setting. His doctor wouldn't give him a note because the injury was not permanent.

So many people hunt with crossbows here in NC, I forgot about the ban in MA. I can understand the ban inside 495 but why in the more rural areas?

The ban has nothing to do with urban vs rural. The ban was enacted after this incident:

One driver shot and killed another with a crossbow after the two cut each other off in traffic, state police said. Donald Graham, 54, of Woonsocket, R.I., was arrested at home and charged with murder. His wife, Sandra Graham, 51, who was a passenger, was arrested and charged as an accessory, prosecutor John Letourneau said. The victim was identified as Michael Blodgett, 42, of Attleboro. The drivers had been cutting each other off and flashing their headlights as they drove down Interstate 95, Trooper Dermot Moriarty said. When the drivers pulled over, both left their cars. Police said Graham took a crossbow from his trunk and shot a crossbow bolt into Blodgett's chest.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-02-22/news/mn-25882_1_state-police

Back
Top Bottom