Getting back on the air

MuzzleDiscipline

NES Life Member
NES Member
The radio hasn't my attention for a few years.

I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on a IC-7100 to some degree to enable playing with Dstar. Is there any activity locally? I never got the Echolink bug cause VOIP was something I did in the early 90's and it didn't appeal to me. How different is Dstar?

The VHF/UHF activity with the exception of Skywarn and commuting seems to have died here.

The IC-7100 is a great radio and as far as HF/VHF/UHF features and performance I don't believe you'll be disappointed. I'm not sure where you are, but if there are no D-Star repeaters in range you may have to go the 'Hot Spot' route which really brings you back to more of a VOIP setup. If there's a repeater in range you'll have a better experience than I did. I ran D-Star for a while with only moderate success but I didn't really stick to the learning curve to get the hang of it. My diminishing lack of enthusiasm and desire to get more into the HF led me to sell the 7100 and pick up a IC-7300 (which is an amazing radio, btw), and that was the end of my D-Star activity. Check out www.dstarinfo.com for repeater locations, news, etc. I still use Echo Link and along with another operator have a nodes set up in Naples, ME and Peabody, MA for a dedicated north-south connection and it works out very well. You'll find that D-Star at (I think) 6.5 Khz bandwidth can sound pretty watered down and you sometimes really have to listen to pull out the audio - my experience, you may have better ears than I do.

I've been having much better luck with DMR as it seems there are many more repeaters in New England, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Good luck, and I'd be interested to hear how you make out.

In my car and in my house (using a mag mount car antenna on a 4 drawer file cabinet-one car died so I took it inside the house) my ID-5100A easily picked up a number of D-Star repeaters. I've heard a number of conversations and although I'm registered I have never transmitted on it. There is a truck driver in Scotland who's on it all day long, his accent is very thick making it difficult for me to understand. I've heard a few others from cross-country as well as some 50-75 miles away using D-Star. That radio is now mounted in my new SUV, so the mag mount is not hooked up to my Yaesu FT-60r HT in my office.

On VHF/UHF:
Waltham repeater is very active but it's like a soap opera with the same few people talking about their medical problems and appointments. I turn it off after only a few minutes. Wrentham and Paxton are also very active.

On VHF/UHF: Waltham repeater is very active but it's like a soap opera with the same few people talking about their medical problems and appointments. I turn it off after only a few minutes. Wrentham and Paxton are also very active.

I listen to the Waltham repeater a lot too. yeah...it is definitely like a soap opera. Every day more medical complaints. If you listen to it enough it gets kind of funny some of the stuff they talk about. If they come on early enough before my wife leaves for work we get a good laugh. Not at their issues but just that they would share such things so openly.....

On Tuesday's at 8pm the Norwood group runs a nice round table net at 8pm. Listened often but never called in. Sometimes not too many go on but at times it's quite busy. No soap opera themes there.

I listen to the Waltham repeater a lot too. yeah...it is definitely like a soap opera. Every day more medical complaints. If you listen to it enough it gets kind of funny some of the stuff they talk about. If they come on early enough before my wife leaves for work we get a good laugh. Not at their issues but just that they would share such things so openly.....

On Tuesday's at 8pm the Norwood group runs a nice round table net at 8pm. Listened often but never called in. Sometimes not too many go on but at times it's quite busy. No soap opera themes there.
I'm a member of this group, but 4 Tuesdays each month I have other commitments so I never get to listen in. W1JLI Memorial Repeater (147.210, PL 100.0).

I'm a member of this group, but 4 Tuesdays each month I have other commitments so I never get to listen in. W1JLI Memorial Repeater (147.210, PL 100.0).

Yeah, of course if people are busy. I think it's nice they do it and it's open to anyone who wants to join. I was researching groups and I think another group does Thursdays. But I lost that page...lol I'll find it again.

I have no confidence in my equipment so I monitor. Not every week but when i think of it. The wife put it on the calendar now so unless I am out driving with my newly permitted daughter I can listen.

I also downloaded that echolink app. That's pretty cool too. I would still prefer to use a radio. In time...

Just went to the HRO on Saturday and picked up an IC-7100. I'm using it as a base and not looking to put it in a car. Got the UHF/VHF antenna up on the roof Sunday. Was mostly listening and figuring out the programming but made a contact off the Derry NH repeater yesterday. I'm not sure of the elevation of that repeater but the contact said it was pretty high so it seems like not that big of a deal to hit it from here. I think it's about 36 miles from me as the crow flies. I had no issues with SWR on 2M but it was about 1.5 on a few 70cm freqs. So I want to lift the antenna over the roof line. Couldn't do it the other day as I was alone. But I'll have the bil come over this weekend if the weather is good and raise it about 8 feet. That will clear the roof line nicely and should work fairly well until I find another option to get the antenna even higher. But seems a nice radio, nice and compact.

Paxton is a great repeater. Probably the biggest single footprint in the state. Helps being 1400 ft above sea level. :)

Member of the CMARA club for 3 or 4 years. Some drama in the club...but it doesn't seem to make it on the air.

Check into George's Old Timer's Net every night at 730pm and say howdy.

Paxton is a great repeater. Probably the biggest single footprint in the state. Helps being 1400 ft above sea level. :)

Member of the CMARA club for 3 or 4 years. Some drama in the club...but it doesn't seem to make it on the air.

I've run that net several times years ago. Jack. W1FKG.

Just thought you'd like to see this.

I've run that net several times years ago. Jack. W1FKG.
Do you still belong to this club? Do you still participate?

Maybe also check out:

Jack, it would be cool if you "run that net" again. It seems like NES people are interested in something to do with getting together on ham radio, so maybe this could be a start.

Back
Top Bottom