Getting into CCO/Carry Optics

So, I'm somewhat interested in getting into the subculture of red dots on "carry" pistols, particularly in a way that'd be reasonably competitive in IDPA/USPSA (but not necessarily as a dedicated gaming gun).

Would have to:
1. Mount an RMR
2. 9mm
3. Reasonably available in MA (I have no time to search for unicorns)

I have a ton of M&P mags that I could use, but apparently there's no Gen2 CORE. Anyone have experience milling the Gen 2 full-size?

It sounds like pre-milled Glock sides are pretty common, which saves a gunsmithing trip, but I don't have a ton of investment into Glock's stuff so far.

Anything else one should know getting into this? Other stuff I should keep in mind?

So, I'm somewhat interested in getting into the subculture of red dots on "carry" pistols, particularly in a way that'd be reasonably competitive in IDPA/USPSA (but not necessarily as a dedicated gaming gun).

Would have to:
1. Mount an RMR
2. 9mm
3. Reasonably available in MA (I have no time to search for unicorns)

I have a ton of M&P mags that I could use, but apparently there's no Gen2 CORE. Anyone have experience milling the Gen 2 full-size?

It sounds like pre-milled Glock sides are pretty common, which saves a gunsmithing trip, but I don't have a ton of investment into Glock's stuff so far.

Anything else one should know getting into this? Other stuff I should keep in mind?

Glocks are super easy as everyone and their mother has an aftermarket slide for them. I think you can get a milled gen 3 slide for like $150 on brownells depending on the coupon codes, so that is super cheap if you already have a frame and want to swap slides.

PMM in Strafford NH cuts M&P slides if that is what you want, but they are pretty busy so it may not be quick.

Plenty of people run M&P’s in CO for IDPA/USPSA. Other popular guns in CO are CZ’s, Sig X5, Glocks, and Walther Q5.

If you already have a M&P and you’re familiar with that gun, you could get it milled for an optic. Though if you’re new to red dots, you’ll want to practice “finding the dot” as that’s probably what most “new” CO/Open shooters struggle with when first starting.

I just shoot SSP/ESP in IDPA and Production in USPSA so no first hand experience with CO but know plenty of others who do.

I’m sure someone else can chime in about milling a Gen2 M&P slide.

Sig has several variations of the P320 that are optics-ready or come with an optic pre-installed (RX, RX Compact, X-5, X Compact, etc etc etc.) The nice thing is you can start with any of them, and change around the grip module/slide until you find a configuration you like. Aftermarket support for the P320 is pretty significant already and is growing.

Just another option to consider.

Sig has several variations of the P320 that are optics-ready or come with an optic pre-installed (RX, RX Compact, X-5, X Compact, etc etc etc.) The nice thing is you can start with any of them, and change around the grip module/slide until you find a configuration you like. Aftermarket support for the P320 is pretty significant already and is growing.

Just another option to consider.

Yeah, I am Glock guy through and through, but if I were toying with moving to a new pistol, the P320 is where I would go. So many options due to it's modularity, although, I would probably still have the slide cut for the optic you want instead of settling for one of Sig's microdots.

Yeah, I am Glock guy through and through, but if I were toying with moving to a new pistol, the P320 is where I would go. So many options due to it's modularity, although, I would probably still have the slide cut for the optic you want instead of settling for one of Sig's microdots.

That's the cool thing about the X models - they have a slide cut which can accept adapter plates for whatever red dot you want.

I want to like the 320 because the concept is great. But I’m not sure how much I trust the modern Sig given their performance with 320 drop safety and CS in general. Not to derail; this feedback is exactly what I was looking for.

USPSA carry optics capacity is limited by length (140 mm). If you want to shoot for more than fun in MA you will need to consider the cost/availability of pre-ban hi-caps and/or your willingness to be a felon ;)

I built my wife a carry optics gun with a police trade in Glock 22, some milling, and a vortex venom optic. I already owned 15 preban square notch mags and a bunch of Dawson +5/6 extensions for my glock 40 limited gun. I load her minor 40 and she gives up a few rounds capacity. Prices of 9mm prebans are insane.

I want to like the 320 because the concept is great. But I’m not sure how much I trust the modern Sig given their performance with 320 drop safety and CS in general. Not to derail; this feedback is exactly what I was looking for.

I am not sure I would lose much sleep over the drop test thing, but I probably wouldn't leave the FCG of a P320 stock either, so that kind of kills that drawback for me. It is a very straight back recoiling pistol, "flat" if you will, which for shooting dots is what you want. Comped guns are teh gahy and all that, but with this thing I can run it super fast and keep the dot on the glass, on the target, through recoil, which is pretty rad.

19x.png

I do still struggle a little bit with fishing for the dot from the draw though, I need to spend more time working with it.

USPSA carry optics capacity is limited by length (140 mm). If you want to shoot for more than fun in MA you will need to consider the cost/availability of pre-ban hi-caps and/or your willingness to be a felon

My shooting is bad enough these days that doing mag changes isn’t going to sink me much. Plus it’s still 10 in that other game with all the props.

X5 is the nuts. Pretty far from a real carry gun though. Underneath my shoot me first vest it prints as though I have a dog or maybe a small horse in my pocket. The grip is a little blocky as well, so if you have small hands you might want to try before buy.

USPSA carry optics capacity is limited by length (140 mm). If you want to shoot for more than fun in MA you will need to consider the cost/availability of pre-ban hi-caps and/or your willingness to be a felon ;)

When you say pre-ban hi-cap mags does this only apply to the Glock platform? Are there pre-ban hi-caps for example a Sig specifically a P320?

When you say pre-ban hi-cap mags does this only apply to the Glock platform? Are there pre-ban hi-caps for example a Sig specifically a P320?

No, it applies to all magazines built after September 1994 (I forget the exact date in 9/94). The SIG P320 was designed long after the assault weapons ban. There are no preban P320 magazines.

Back
Top Bottom