• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting into cowboy shooting

I just got my gun license, mainly for sport (I live in a pretty safe area) and I'm really interested in getting into cowboy shooting. What would be a good set of first guns to start with and get the basics down?

Right now, my usual gun store has a good price on a new Vaquero in .45 colt, and there are a few good lever actions around. My main questions are - is a Vaquero a good beginner's cowboy action gun? And what are good choices for beginner lever actions and shotguns? I have some experience with the lever actions so I'm not too lost there, but shotguns are really my Achilles heel when it comes to gun knowledge.

Just a side note: I live in MA, so no Uberti revolvers (or Colt SAA, for that matter) for me...

Join SASS then attend a shoot near you. Talk to the other SASS members they are great. I'm sure that they will offer to let you try whatever they are using. Very friendly group

Thanks, I'm always nervous about going to events like this blind, especially where I'm so new to guns in general. Luckily, the Danvers Desperados are only 15 minutes from my house and they have an event in less than a month.

Now to come up with a good name...

I heard the Vaqueros are THE gun to have for Cowboy Action...but you might want to consider a slightly cheaper/easier to find caliber....357 maybe?

I know just what you mean. The store says they can order new ones, but I don't know what they have in stock right now or how long that takes. I'm headed down later this afternoon to check/order in person. If it's gonna be a four month wait or something, I might just bite the bullet (so to speak) and get .45 colt. It would be a great excuse to get into reloading, too.

Or is gunbroker a good site/is it worth the hassle of shipping to MA through and FFL and all that?

Thanks, I didn't even think of checking the classifieds here. I'll definitely consider that if my gun store doesn't have anything. Is it any hassle at all to buy direct from people? It's just the FA-10, right? Plus any fee if I have it shipped to a store, of course.

Face to face transfer is by far the easiest/cheapest method...just drive out to meet the guy...fill out the eFA-10 or paper version, pay the seller, and you're on your way with your copy of the paperwork and your new firearm. Better take advantage while it's still legal.

When I shot SASS I used Vaqueros with .38 special reloads. Both economical and worked well.

I know just what you mean. The store says they can order new ones, but I don't know what they have in stock right now or how long that takes. I'm headed down later this afternoon to check/order in person. If it's gonna be a four month wait or something, I might just bite the bullet (so to speak) and get .45 colt. It would be a great excuse to get into reloading, too.

Or is gunbroker a good site/is it worth the hassle of shipping to MA through and FFL and all that?

Since you'll be shooting 4 firearms (two pistols, rifle, shotgun), having the pistols and rifle the same caliber is a BIG help (in terms of having ammo on hand and if you reload). Granted, it's not a requirement by any means, but it is a help. Also, has Dakar652 mentioned, keep the caliber in mind. My first SASS pistol was a 45, and I've never used it. After getting it, it occurred to me that the other pistols I saw were .357s, so could I easily find a .45, and then the rifles I wanted were all .357, the decision to have everything .357 just made the most sense for me. Also, I shoot .38's with them, cheaper, and with the targets you'll be shooting at a SASS shoot so close, you don't need the power (actually I reload and my .38 loads are quite light).

You can find some uberti's via private sales (I have a few I've found), but at your local store, the Vaquero's will be what you can get (I found a set of SASS New Vaqueros after some calling around).

Hi,
Take a look at these on Gunbroker http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=428936524
In my opinion the right way to start. Consider the od adage about buying the right item the first time (it can be finacially painful at first) but in the long run a lot less expensive. Most of the cowboy shoots, including Danvers, will have many folks willing to help get you started including letting you shoot their guns. Best idea is to go to one or more shoots to see what folks are using and form your own opinion.
My recommendation would be the Ruger Vaqueros in 38/357, a Winchester 73 clone in 38/357 and a double barrel coach gun in 12 gauge.
Stogie

I just got my gun license, mainly for sport (I live in a pretty safe area) and I'm really interested in getting into cowboy shooting. What would be a good set of first guns to start with and get the basics down?

Right now, my usual gun store has a good price on a new Vaquero in .45 colt, and there are a few good lever actions around. My main questions are - is a Vaquero a good beginner's cowboy action gun? And what are good choices for beginner lever actions and shotguns? I have some experience with the lever actions so I'm not too lost there, but shotguns are really my Achilles heel when it comes to gun knowledge.

Just a side note: I live in MA, so no Uberti revolvers (or Colt SAA, for that matter) for me...

Jimmy Spurs may be able to help you out. You didn't say where in MA you were.

http://cowboygunworks.com/index.html

Modern day efficiency on classic cowboy firearms

Welcome to the website of Jim McMahon aka Jimmy Spurs. I am a full-time gunsmith that specializes in working on competition firearms, especially Cowboy Action Shooting firearms. I can help make your lever action rifles (Henry 1860, Winchester 1866, Winchester 1873, Winchester 1892, Marlin 1894), revolvers (Ruger Vaquero, Ruger New Vaquero, Ruger Blackhawk, Colt Single Action Army, Colt clones), shotguns (Winchester 1897 or double barrels), derringers and single shot rifles smoother to operate so you can concentrate on shooting.

I work on reproductions and originals. All my work is 100% satisfaction guaranteed. I do some general firearm repair. Machine shop services such as milling, lathe work, welding, etc. are available and done on the premises.

(As a member of IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) it was easy to see the need for action work as well as a good trigger job. I have been shooting and working on S & W Double Action revolvers as well as the S & W Semi Auto pistols such as the M&P line for many shooters that are looking for the competitive edge that can only come from a well-tuned firearm. Contact me for more info.)

Oh, I'll definitely have to check him out (only 45 minutes away, and in the same direction as work to boot.) especially since I ended up going with a used .357 blackhawk, which might end up needing some work with my luck. Great price, great ammo. I decided when I actually start getting serious, I'll get a matched pair of new vaqueros and won't have a third laying around unused. Now to go find out what ammo she likes.

Jimmy is a great guy, did work on one of my rifles and one of the shotguns. The rifle is so sweet, one. Of my favorites. The Rugers are one if not the best choice as starter pistols, and many shoot them for years and years. I have 2 sets, one is 38/357 and one in 45C (38's were for my ex) . It's great fun, but I have not been shooting for the last few seasons, need to get back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom