Getting into reloading finally

Starting down the same rat hole myself.
Thanks to the geopolitical situation and the never ending exhortations of places like this.
Not to mention the good folks here at NES and elswhere.
500 rounds once fired brass. ✔
1000 primers. ✔
Lee single stage press.✔

Need powder, projectiles, scale, dies, manuals, and misc.

So almost there🤣
Where are you and what are you looking for

Ok here’s my list so far:

Other than powder, primers, cartridges, and bullets it looks like this will get me on the right track. Those 4 are my main platforms; 44mag, .223/5.56, 6.5cr, and x39. The extra turret will be for a future gun in a ridiculous magnum I don’t own yet. .460 or something like that. I plan on a progressive press in the future once my doomsday stash of 9/45 are dwindled down. Yes, I still need a powder charge die for the x39. I may have a selection of powder chargers for certain calibers as well.

Last edited:

Other than powder, primers, cartridges, and bullets it looks like this will get me on the right track. Those 4 are my main platforms; 44mag, .223/5.56, 6.5cr, and x39. The extra turret will be for a future gun in a ridiculous magnum I don’t own yet. .460 or something like that. I plan on a progressive press in the future once my doomsday stash of 9/45 are dwindled down. Yes, I still need a powder charge die for the x39. I may have a selection of powder chargers for certain calibers as well.
You’ll need something to trim, chamfer and debur your rifle brass too. The cheap option (but works well, just slow) is
Amazon product ASIN B000NOQIOUView: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-Cutter-Lock-Stud/dp/B000NOQIOU

Amazon product ASIN B000LC2348View: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-223-Gauge-Holder/dp/B000LC2348/ref=pd_aw_fbt_img_1/131-7095495-5154952?pd_rd_w=QGMNc&pf_rd_p=0ac31943-e5c4-4aef-ab7b-6ab45d3ad9aa&pf_rd_r=66N5A0FQ05M6ZQHRRD6E&pd_rd_r=4a915563-8cec-4351-ad58-7470edafd6c6&pd_rd_wg=RFCJl&pd_rd_i=B000LC2348&psc=1

Amazon product ASIN B00162PVJQView: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90275-Trimmer-Cutter/dp/B00162PVJQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=lee+trimmer+ball&qid=1630844373&sr=8-3

Amazon product ASIN B000KORYCSView: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90814-Shellholder-Creedmoor/dp/B000KORYCS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3BG74OGASEZWP&dchild=1&keywords=lee+6.5+creedmoor+case+trimmer&qid=1630844539&sprefix=lee+6.5&sr=8-3

Amazon product ASIN B000KORYCSView: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90814-Shellholder-Creedmoor/dp/B000KORYCS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3BG74OGASEZWP&dchild=1&keywords=lee+6.5+creedmoor+case+trimmer&qid=1630844539&sprefix=lee+6.5&sr=8-3

For deburring and chamfering:
https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-777780...ase+prep&qid=1630844459&sprefix=lyman+&sr=8-2

I might be wrong but I think the powder measure comes with a universal powder die?
Although if you have discs for each cal might as well grab drums and powder dies for each. Over kill for the lee.
Just a little note on the lee.
Im a Lee fan but some of lees stuff is not great.
The scale in the kit although accurate is a bit of a pain to handle and they all break. Unless LEE redesigned the beam ?
It works just be gentle. Also the auto drum levers are plastic and can break easy
Other than that the perfect drum has been great for me even with H110 and Trailboss

So I can’t seem to find a case length gauge set that doesn’t include another shell holder. Is that standard practice?
If your going with LEE just take the “free” shell holder. I can bet IF you found it with out it it would not be much cheaper. You might find other uses for “extra” parts
Unless your going budget there are several other trimers that will be faster than the Lee.
Dont bother with the lee quick trim
I run a ild school RCBS trimpro
I might buy the power adapter for it as my arthritis is not liking the hand crank

So I can’t seem to find a case length gauge set that doesn’t include another shell holder. Is that standard practice?
The shell holder for each caliber attaches/mounts into the lock stud in the first link I provided. It’s not the same “shell holder” that comes with the Lee dies

Harbor freight digital calipers - pretty much the same Chinese calipers that are sold by the reloading manufacturers.

Lee scale is okay - I 3d print a scale to glue under the pointer that you can see 0.1g making it easy to adjust your drop.

Case cleaning - a large plastic jug with a wide mouth, dish soap and Lemi shine. A 9mm case of Lemi shine and a teaspoon of soap for each gallon of hit water. Shake it a couple of times while the water cools down then rinse.

90° countersink for removing primer pocket crimps (223)

Reading your caliber list I see you have a three die set for 44 mag.
If you are going to load cast then seating and crimping separately becomes more necessary.

I just 3d print seating dies because they aren't under much stress and I am the stereotypical NES skinflint.

if you shoot a lot of 44 you most likely will want to cast for it - a 240g cast SWC is about $0.05 of lead and casts very easily.

If you are going to load cast then seating and crimping separately becomes more necessary.

I just 3d print seating dies because they aren't under much stress and I am the stereotypical NES skinflint.

if you shoot a lot of 44 you most likely will want to cast for it - a 240g cast SWC is about $0.05 of lead and casts very easily.
Good points. I prefer seating and crimping separately regardless of bullet type.

Casting may have to come into play since looking at prices of brass and bullets puts it close to the price of commercial ammo, yikes.

Well you should have a decent amount of brass no? Or were you not saving your brass?

Though there isn’t many “cheap” bullets for x39. 6.5 Bullets aren’t super cheap either. But for 5.56 you can still get bulk 55 gr FMJs for like 11-12 cents I believe.

Plated 44 cal bullets aren’t too bad but the cheap jacketed Zero 44 cal bullets have been OOS forever. At 13 cents it’s no wonder why…

And 9 and 45 you can save by using coated bullets.

Not really skinflinting when you buy a 3D printer. Im not sure what to call it when tou spend hundreds to make a $5 part.
I do it all the time. Especially with tools.

Well you should have a decent amount of brass no? Or were you not saving your brass?

Though there isn’t many “cheap” bullets for x39. 6.5 Bullets aren’t super cheap either. But for 5.56 you can still get bulk 55 gr FMJs for like 11-12 cents I believe.

Plated 44 cal bullets aren’t too bad but the cheap jacketed Zero 44 cal bullets have been OOS forever. At 13 cents it’s no wonder why…

Depending on your end use there has been pretty good deals on the 6.5 bullets. I scored some barnes match burners during the peak madness for under .25 ea
You just have to look especially beyound page 1 of any internet search

Depending on your end use there has been pretty good deals on the 6.5 bullets. I scored some barnes match burners during the peak madness for under .25 ea
You just have to look especially beyound page 1 of any internet search
Wow. I don’t know much about 6.5 but at $2 per round for factory ammo, the room for savings should be high even if you’re paying 40-50 cents for a bullet

Wow. I don’t know much about 6.5 but at $2 per round for factory ammo, the room for savings should be high even if you’re paying 40-50 cents for a bullet
6.5 is a “money saver” for sure
The barnes are probably on the lower tier of the 6.5 family of bullets but new to the 6.5 game and learning your dope/skill I would not buy high end bullets until I was able to get down to that sub moa mark.
Im only shooting 200 yards and on a good day with optics im lucky to hold moa the Barnes will do that.

The problem with alot of the 6.5 family is brass prices. $1 a case usually.
Sometimes its “cheaper” to buy some factory ammo just for the brass and reload from there.
I did that with both 7.7 jap and 7.5 swiss
Vs buying factory brass

Last edited:

I do have a decent amount of brass.

Ok Bday pricing is active. Going to make a bulk purchase from Midway. Same list above stands. Anything else I should add other than the deburring tools?

Good points. I prefer seating and crimping separately regardless of bullet type.
Is a separate turret press helpful for that step? Like one extra Lee turret press for seating and crimping?

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this party.
Some time back, I directed a fella to Midstate Gun Co. in Coventry RI; they had o-f 6.5 CM brass for reasonable (25¢, I think). Odds are supplies are pretty well gone these days. I purchased 7.62x54R for 20¢ a pop. They don't allow reloads at their range and they cull all steel, aluminum and berdan-primed cases. They ship, but not to MA, sorry. Brass for Reloading sold by Midstate Gun Company
See Norm at quality-cast.com for coated 6.5mm (and other) bullets: deleted for security purposes...sorry!
Good luck.

Attachments

• 6.5Swede150coated.jpg
    6.5Swede150coated.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 5
  • x39mm200gr.jpg
    x39mm200gr.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 5
Sorry, I'm a bit late to this party.
Some time back, I directed a fella to Midstate Gun Co. in Coventry RI; they had o-f 6.5 CM brass for reasonable (25¢, I think). Odds are supplies are pretty well gone these days. I purchased 7.62x54R for 20¢ a pop. They don't allow reloads at their range and they cull all steel, aluminum and berdan-primed cases. They ship, but not to MA, sorry. Brass for Reloading sold by Midstate Gun Company
See Norm at quality-cast.com for coated 6.5mm (and other) bullets: deleted for security purposes...sorry!
Good luck.
Zombie bullets 😉

Back
Top Bottom