• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting LTC in Green Town Before Moving to Boston

So here's a situation that I haven't yet found someone go through online: I am a full-time college student, and I will be turning 21 and applying for an LTC-A unrestricted in 2019. I "live" in a green town, but I attend school/live on campus within Boston city limits. When I say "live," that's because the address on my driver's license, the place I vote, where all of my bills are sent, etc. is in the green town (my parent's place), and in the past I have been legitimately returning there over winter and summer breaks. During school, I've been living in on-campus apartments, in Boston.

Obviously, I can't own any firearms when I live on campus - I'm certainly not looking to break any laws. I also plan on moving out to my own off-campus place in 2019, probably in Boston, but the timing is such that I would probably have my LTC in hand first (if all goes well). I plan on waiting until I move out to purchase a firearm (my parents wouldn't want a firearm in their home, and it wouldn't do me much good anyway while I'm at school), and I'm even thinking of waiting until MAG-40 rolls around again before I would start carrying in public (again, off-campus of course).

My question is, would it seem at all "evasive" or "bad" in some way to be applying for an unrestricted LTC in my green town when I live on a college campus half the year and don't really plan on purchasing a firearm or carrying until I'm living full-time in the red town? As I understand it, this would mean that I would probably have an unrestricted license for 6 years regardless of where I move, and then there's some chance that Boston wouldn't necessarily add restrictions once I renew there (if I'm still there). Obviously, I don't want to just wait until I move to Boston, as I want the unrestricted license (assuming Gould v. Morgan doesn't go our way later this year), and I wouldn't want to wait XX many days for a permit after I line everything up and am ready to buy. On the justification side, I do plan on renting at ranges, maybe even as soon as I get my LTC.

Am I just overthinking everything?

Your permanent legal residence is your hometown. There's nothing evasive about it. Until you have a lease, bills, voter registration, auto registration, driver's license, etc. in Boston you aren't a Boston resident regardless of where you sleep half the year. I'd apply now, obtain your license, and file a change of address with the PD & FRB if and when you officially move to Boston in the future.

You may also keep a firearm at a club locker at the Boston Gun and Rifle Association if you become a member and pay the yearly locker fee (if one is available).

Well you obviously must go back to your residence to get your mail, check in with your folks, do your laundry, etc often enough. If you have a legit mailing address, especially with voter registration, you shouldnt worry. You have multiple residences and have staked your claim (legitimately) at one of them.

Good question, but you are overthinking it.

Boston students are not [usually] residents of Boston.

If you are bringing a car, you should probably let your insurance company know .

Legally you are a resident of your hometown (Parents home). Boston doesn't want students to claim residency there or vote there either. No issue getting your LTC where your Parents live. NO requirement to notify anyone of your college address (will likely change each year as you move apartments).

Apply in the green town, don't mention where you will live for school to the PD.

If you are bringing a car, you should probably let your insurance company know .
Since this got brought up, make sure to change "garaging" only, not the primary address. Personally, I wouldn't tell my insurance company jack because Boston rates are very high.

Good advice here, LESS is always more in regards to information you give out, in most cases. Welcome to the NES community !

Since this got brought up, make sure to change "garaging" only, not the primary address. Personally, I wouldn't tell my insurance company jack because Boston rates are very high.

My rates changed $1 a year when I moved to Boston- don't recall if it went up or down. YMMV

There's a lot of speculation in this thread, can anyone post how the state determines residency? Or are we just telling OP that it doesn't matter and he'll probably be fine because no one is checking?

another gc story. early 90's i moved out of state, way out of state, for work and i didn't know if i was coming back. 7 months after the move, my massachusetts ltc would expire, in november. i'm stupid, i called the police station and talked to the ltc person. told them my situation and until i made up my mind to stay or not, i didn't want my ltc to expire and i wanted to renew it. in those days you had to have a print rolled every renewal. I was coming back for the holiday to see my mom so they told me to come in. first question...do you still have a mass drivers license? then what's the address on it? same as your current ltc? yes and yes. do any bills still go to that address? yep, my mom forwards them to me. i was still a mass resident as far as they were concerned so they made an appointment for xmas week when i'd be back to come in and do my renewal. i sometimes give too much info so i said i have another 1 1/2 years on my contract. no problem, we'll note you're out of state on temporary work assignment. we of course have to mail your ltc to the address on it so just have your mom forward to you. sometimes life is easy, didn't miss a beat.

op, your situation seems similar, no? only easier for you cause you're still in state. if push came to shove i'd tell them you board in boston mon - fri and live at home on weekends. you don't have to even change your drivers license address if you didn't want to. honestly, that would have never even entered my mind. i agree you're over thinking it. and as always, i've been known to be wrong.

Legally you are a resident of your hometown (Parents home). Boston doesn't want students to claim residency there or vote there either.
There is a lot of history regarding cities that tried to deny students who chose to use the college town as their residence the right to vote - largely unsuccessful.

There is a lot of history regarding cities that tried to deny students who chose to use the college town as their residence the right to vote - largely unsuccessful.

If if the Boston City Council and Josh Zakim get their way, every foreign student with a visa or green card will be voting in municipal and potentially state elections.

From the ads, it sounds like Josh's idea is pretty close to going to Mexico and signing them up to vote in MA right there. Not sure how much easier it can be than it currently is. Every public library, USPO, town clerk's office/town hall has stacks of forms, just fill it out and mail it in. I suppose to his kind, making someone pay $0.50 to mail it is too much of a burden too.

There's a lot of speculation in this thread, can anyone post how the state determines residency? Or are we just telling OP that it doesn't matter and he'll probably be fine because no one is checking?

AFAIK, there is NO set standard for how one determines residency.

Just like every town is different, when it comes to licensing. I have to provide a utility bill, in my town. They wanted my kid to do the same, for his FID. "He has no utilities, he's a kid," I pointed out.

They wanted MY utility bill. Though that does not prove that he lives with me (which he does)[laugh]

With my younger kid, they accepted his High School ID, which they would not do for the older kid [rolleyes]

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I don't have a car, so none of that will be an issue. Also, I probably should've mentioned it before, but I've read that my (green) town requires an interview with the police chief for most applicants. My sense from all of this is that I should be completely honest when asked a direct question, but not hand out any extra rope to hang myself with(?)

One more thing - what should I put down for "occupation?" In other applications that ask such a question I usually put down "student," and I would put "XX University" under "employed by" and "business address". The most money-making employment I currently have is a work-study job for one of the school's departments, but that is (by law) less than 20 hours per week. So would I do "Student - XX University," "[Work Study Position] - XX University," or just "N/A?"

One more thing - what should I put down for "occupation?" In other applications that ask such a question I usually put down "student," and I would put "XX University" under "employed by" and "business address". The most money-making employment I currently have is a work-study job for one of the school's departments, but that is (by law) less than 20 hours per week. So would I do "Student - XX University," "[Work Study Position] - XX University," or just "N/A?"
well you are a student. don't see why you need to go further on the info. work study...is it really a job or part of the curriculum. jeez, you really are doing some thinking on overtime. [laugh]

I just completed a case in which a license was revoked when the chief learned my client was not living 100 percent of the time where his license was issued but had a rental in another town. There are no specifics in the books on where residency is.

I just completed a case in which a license was revoked when the chief learned my client was not living 100 percent of the time where his license was issued but had a rental in another town. There are no specifics in the books on where residency is.

out of curiosity how was this "learned"? might be a cautionary tale for other ltc holders in douche towns....

There are a few other expensive areas. Worcester, Springfield, etc.

Basically any big dump city, and some of the smaller ones, too. Even leominster to Fitchburg will cause a slight increase...

out of curiosity how was this "learned"? might be a cautionary tale for other ltc holders in douche towns....
As expected a cop in the town he rented got mad at him and called the other town. He knew for years of my client's situation but only called when he wouldn't cooperate on a petty issue.

So, do all the PRM residents now have to conceal their NH lake house from Teh Man?

Back
Top Bottom