• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting older

426wedge

NES Member
As I am getting older, I was thinking about transferring some of my firearms to my son. Probably 4 of them. If I was to do that, may I still retain possession of the transferred ones to use when I want? Thanks.

As I am getting older, I was thinking about transferring some of my firearms to my son. Probably 4 of them. If I was to do that, may I still retain possession of the transferred ones to use when I want? Thanks.
IANAL, but you can temporarily loan a firearm to a family member for as long as you would like.

IANAL, but you can temporarily loan a firearm to a family member for as long as you would like.

IANAL but property wise he can give them to his son but maintain an interest in them for a aet ammount of time (IE his life).

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Transferring them now will avoid the inevitable mess when it's time for probate, after you're gone. At least for those four. More transfers later if you want. Just tell your son, if he wants them, he has to agree to give you unfettered access to them. If they're at his house, in his safe, of course you'll need to give him advance notice.

Does he live in MA? If not, just note federal law limits borrowing of handguns across state lines for "lawful sporting purposes", not personal protection.

I.e. If your son is a resident of NH and you transfer a pistol to him, you may borrow and possess in MA, but for hunting, range trips, competitions, etc. You aren't supposed to carry it for personal protection.

Last edited:
Transferring them now will avoid the inevitable mess when it's time for probate, after you're gone. At least for those four. More transfers later if you want. Just tell your son, if he wants them, he has to agree to give you unfettered access to them. If they're at his house, in his safe, of course you'll need to give him advance notice.

Precisely why I am doing this. I was going to keep them in my possession after. Yes we are both from MA.

Back
Top Bottom