Getting started in bow hunting (Lowell MA)

Last week I went out to the Lowell, Dracut, Tyngsborough state forest with a buddy for a quick scout, and to take down his tree stand. I had a great time and have decided to get into it myself. I would like to learn about this sport solo if possible. I don’t have any close friends or family who hunt (Friend mentioned earlier is an acquaintance) and I wouldn’t want to burden anyone with rookie mistakes, anyway.

I’ve been doing some reading and I am floored by how much is involved with this sport. As the deer season is ending soon and doesn't start up until next fall (?) I think this gives me plenty of time to get my hunting license, bow, other equipment, books, etc.

After reading some similar posts, I’ve decided not to go to BPS or Cab for my bow. I’d like to go to a mom and pop shop where someone will take the time to explain this great sport to a city kid who has no hunting background, measure me up and outfit me with a bow that is right for my newbie needs and hopefully not screw me over with unnecessary accessories or brands.

So, can anyone suggest a good shop close to Lowell to get started with? Some overall basics about what I’ll be needing in a bow, what accessories, and what I should ask them about?

How much should I prepare to spend on a new bow, arrows and accessories?

Also, can someone tell me what I need in terms non archery equipment? (Camo, Stands)

All other advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Prepare to spend $1000 easy, don't get fooled by marketing, "mathews" is not the greatest bow on earth, it just costs like it is.

Most current compound bows on the market will shoot more accurate than the shooter if properly set up and with properly splined arrows.

Good bow with rest and sight 5-600, dozen arrows with field points about 75, release, another 40-60, quiver and assorted other goodies(broad heads, target, treestand, camo) will eat up the last 3-400 pretty quick.

My brother bought a bow at Basspro and he can shoot that bow better then I can shoot my $1000 bow. Just makesure if you do go there you at least end up with someone who knows there ass from there elbow. While, going to a nice archery shop will get you into a nice bow that fits you correctly, if its going to prevent you from starting the sport then I wouldn't be to concerned about opting for a more affordable bow from Basspro.

Don't just order a bow online whatever you do.

if you go to basspro, try to find someone that knows about bows and go with him. don't rely on the employees.

Before you listen to everyone's opinions on compound bows here, go shoot some bows to find out what bow YOU want to shoot. I prefer a longbow, others prefer recurves or compound bows. Don't just listen to other's opinions. Go shoot them all and get into the kind that you like. They are all adequate for hunting and hunters use all of the different kinds of bows to take game every year.

Shoot alot of bows first, they all feel different.(grip,draw cycle)
It won't be cheap.

As for stands and camo, go to Dicks NOW!!!! Great deals on hunting apparel, everything is on sale for 30-50% off.

Just got two for one deal on a tree stand(lookout)
Not the best one, but I have two now instead of one in the fall.

Last edited:
I think that buying a bow at Bass Pro is like buying a snowblower at WalMart. There are a number of excellent archery shops around, I use Jerry's bait and tackle in Milford, Reedy's in Middleboro, find a local shop and an indoor range and have fun.

Used bows are another option. There are a number of hardcore guys who buy a new $1000 bow every other year

not sure if Sportsman Paradise is still open in Nashua it was right across the river from hudson, NH back in the day
52 Bridge Street, Nashua, NH 03060-3544 (603) 886-4763 ‎
tax free and they had a good selection, in Milfordn NH we have Dads/Milford Archery & Tackle
22 Clinton Street, Milford, NH 03055 (603) 673-0237 ‎ he is only open M-F last I knew

I suggest staying away from the Chain stores as a bow needs to fit the shooter

you wont safe a penny going to cabelas or BP, This is a fact when you are buying a bow from a real proshop the service you get and the time spent to make sure you are set up correctly will pay for itself. And as far as pricing almost all pro shops carry better brands at the same prices if not better than cab or bp. This years Bowtech Assassin RAK is going to be my top selling bow for 2011 for only $599.00 thats a complete outfit. I carry Bowtech/Diamond/PSE and I cant tell you how many people come into my shop after purchasing bows from places like Dicks/Cab/BP with all they accessories and a blank face saying can you help me??? Cabelas was selling diamond razor edge KIDS BOWS to adults in October as a special buy for $339 same price if you bought it from a pro shop. I had people coming complaining they couldn't get it to shoot correctly and complaining the bow and grip was to small... after telling them it was a kids bow they were pissed off they were told it was adult bow. And Cableas wouldn't take them back, So these first time buyers just got burned and now are already pissed off enough to sell the bow and go back to the gun.

You are off to a good start by scouting now. That is half the battle of getting into the deer. I started 2 seasons ago not knowing anything or anybody who hunts. I went to Kittery Trading Post on a Tuesday afternoon in the summer when it was dead (don't go on the weekend or right before the season or you will NOT get the attention you need). Got a great salesman who spent over an hour with me going over bows, broadheads, arrows, quiver, release and finally got set up with a bow. He made sure it was as accurate as could be before I left and I bought a target and headed home to practice. I had no luck last year but learned a ton about what not to do. Plus, if you buy at KTP you can bring it back for a tune up at no charge the next season. This year, on Christmas Eve morning during Muzzleloader I finally took my first buck with a bow after about 28 hunting attempts with 2 misses. The fact is, you will miss unlike the shows on Outdoor channel lead you to beleive. I learned what I was doing wrong (practicing in a T-Shirt then sitting in a stand with all my gear on made me realize you must practice with gear on as it will affect your release/windage/elevation if you are not paying attention). Also, the heart rate increase when a deer presents itself can throw you off too. Do a ton of reading, scouting and hunting and you will connect sooner rather than later. I now have a freezer full of meat. Best Christmas present ever. Good Luck.

This sounds like some basic stuff, but make sure you get the right type of bow for your dominant hand/eye. I'm a lefty, went to a couple proshops (admittedly in rifle territory) and got a few hundred into wrong handed bows a couple times. I was 16, 17... so it may have been a number of things, but it's a good lesson.

GL as well! I'm basically in the same boat you are.

Update: 8 months later.

Over the spring i bought a bow and had it tuned up by a local guy. This guy also set me up with a dozen arrows with tips. I also bought three broadheads. I signed up for the hunter edu course, and I plan on hitting the woods this october.

Now I need:
- A climbing stand, Im thinking summit viper (dicks has good prices)
- Camo...This is where i need help. What does a beginer bowhunter need for deer season in MA?
Sent controll? Spesific materials? Brands? Cold weath gear? Rain gear? Boots? What do I NEED and what can wait till next year?

I'm hoping to get the stand and camo for under $500. Any advice?

Thanks.

I hope your field points are the same grain weight as your broadheads.

Just get about 18' up in a tree and don't worry to much about cammo,they don't see very well. As far as scent? Leave your gear outside (where they won't get wet) and a hot shower, no soap before you head out.

The trick is finding where they go and when they're there.

Last one I took, I was wearing faded jeans and a grey flannel.

The other trick is making damn sure you know where your arrow is going to land at varying distances out to about 40 yrds. 60 if you're superman.[smile]

For camo; hunters have successfully hunted for hundreds upon thousands of years without RealTree or MaxHD or MossyOak. Neutral earth tones, and maybe a light pattern (like plaid) for your top.

For scent control, on top of what CRSIII mentioned, "ScentAway" is pretty good. And cheap. The best use I find for it is the insides of my boots [laugh]. So I can guarantee, it WILL eliminate odors.

Prepare to spend $1000 easy, don't get fooled by marketing, "mathews" is not the greatest bow on earth, it just costs like it is.

No way. You can get started in bow hunting for a fraction of that. Go to Jerry's Bait and Tackle in Milford. Tell him what you want to do and how much you want to spend. He'll set you up with the basics, and you can add to to it as needed, if you like it.

Update: 8 months later.

Over the spring i bought a bow and had it tuned up by a local guy. This guy also set me up with a dozen arrows with tips. I also bought three broadheads. I signed up for the hunter edu course, and I plan on hitting the woods this october.

Now I need:
- A climbing stand, Im thinking summit viper (dicks has good prices)
- Camo...This is where i need help. What does a beginer bowhunter need for deer season in MA?
Sent controll? Spesific materials? Brands? Cold weath gear? Rain gear? Boots? What do I NEED and what can wait till next year?

I'm hoping to get the stand and camo for under $500. Any advice?

Thanks.

A climbing stand is not need (helpful but not needed) I kill deer on the ground every year and I have never owned any type of stand.

Camo is based on where you hunt to blend in and what you want to pay. You do not have to buy the name brands.

Boots are your mobility. I HIGHLY recommend that you pony up here and get something that is really good and comfortable. Gortex IMO is a requirement to keep your feet dry. If you buy a Cabala's brand of boot they will stand behind it for life. Not so with other brands. Bring the socks you are planning on wearing when you try on boots to make sure that you have plenty of room. Cold feet drive more hunters out of the woods than anything else I know.

I use boots that have 600g of thinsulate and I hunt the entire season in them I start with regular athletic socks (cotton is terrible in cold weather) in the early season then I go to smart wool socks over a thin sock liner. When it gets really cold I put a toe warmer between the socks. This has been a good system for me.

I start the early season in just a shirt and pants and as it gets colder I start to carry a jacket in my pack. Then I add GOOD thermal underwear. as it gets colder I go to heavy weight wool pants and shirt with an insulated jump suit. I like a jump suit as there are no drafts.

Though you didn't ask you need a GOOD compass (I carry a back up as well after one of my compass' crapped out i the woods), a map and you NEED to understand how to use them. Take the Map, Compass, and survival course that MassWildlife offers.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom