Getting started in Bullseye

Chuck

NES Member
Hi,

Now that the IDPA season is coming to a close. My thoughts are turning to indoor Bullseye competition. I picked up a Ruger Mark II with a red dot from Carl in the spring to compete with. Now I'm looking for pointers on how to train for this kind of competition. Is it best to practice just slow or just rapid fire first? How best to determine the right ammo for my pistol -- 5 shot groups from a bench rest? Same for zero'ing the red-dot? Any important points every newbie should know? Are there some online sites with tips and tricks?

I'm just gonna show up at my club's matches and shoot. Worked in IDPA! But I want to start helping the team as soon as possible so any help would be appreciated.

cheers,
Chuck

There may be some differences of opinion on this (like everything else, right?) but IMHO everything in Bullseye builds on developing the correct slow fire technique - correct stance, breathing, sight picture, trigger technique, etc. There's obviously a lot involved, and I don't pretend to be an expert, just a long-time enthusiast - so here's a place where you can learn from the experts: http://www.bullseyepistol.com/index.htm

With regard to getting the most from that Mark II - you absolutely should try as wide a variety of ammo as you can get your hands on (get your hands on easily, that is - there's no point in finding out that your pistol really likes a particular ammo if you can't get it when you need it). You should test from a secure rest and also test (if you can) at 25 yards - it will be easier to see differences. Five-shot groups are fine to start but you may need to go to larger groups to fine-tune the selection. A real purist would set up a number of targets, one for each ammo, then fire one shot from Brand A, one from Brand B on the second target, etc., then repeat the cycle a number of times (as opposed to firing all Brand A, then switching to Brand B, etc.). The testing is less biased that way. Also remember that the most accurate ammo in the world is no good for Bullseye if it won't function reliably in your particular pistol.

Unfortunately, you can't really zero the dot sight, or any sight, from a bench. The way you hold the gun when actually shooting, movement between when the sear releases and the round actually leaves the barrel, recoil, and any number of other factors pretty much dictate that you need to do your zeroing by shooting exactly how you will in competition. Most people I shoot with zero so they hold the dot in the center of the black, but there are a few who swear by zeroing to hold the bottom edge of the black (i.e., a 6-o'clock hold as with open Patridge sights). That leaves me shaking my head but I know some guys who turn in very good scores with it.

The best tip I can give you is to watch a relay or two, if possible, before you shoot one for the first time. That way you'll know what commands to expect, when you can handle your weapon and (more importantly) when you can't, and just generally become familiar with the whole process. Bullseye shooters are some of the most patient and forgiving folks around, but they'll appreciate it all the much more if you're not holding up the line any more than necessary.

Second best tip - to move from slow to sustained fire stages in your practice get some sort of timer that actually starts and stops the string timing for you. Don't just guess - you invariably get a "free" first shot in every string that way and it won't feel anything like competition. Instead of firing a full string every time, set your timer and just fire the first shot of the string to develop the ability to get that first shot off quickly and accurately when the buzzer sounds. If you start a string, especially rapid fire, feeling that you've "wasted" time getting that first shot away it will mess you up every time. Once you get comfortable with that first shot the rest will follow more easily.

Best of luck with your new hobby.

A couple things I would like to add.
I shoot with the Greater Boston Pistol league and all the matches take place on 50ft indoor ranges. At 50 feet the accuracy of your ammo selection is a non-issue. You should make your choice of ammo selection based on price (can you practice alot), availability, reliability, and lastly recoil feel. I shoot CCI target. 25 and 50 yards is a different ballgame when it comes to ammo selection and you will have to do some testing.

You will want to get a Volquartsen sear for your pistol, you may also want to buy an oversized pin set. That will vastly and economically improve the feel of the trigger and it will make a difference in your scores.

If you don't work with your hands for a living you may want to improve your grip strength with the squeezy handle things you can buy at most sporting goods stores.

Grip tape, I like aggresive guns, if the gun shifts in your hands when you pull the trigger because of slippage then you have a problem. It's less of an issue with the fancy ergonomic grips, but on the MKII/III it kills me.

I have a strange philosophy when it comes to training for bullseye, I only dry fire. I haven't started working on timing which will be necessary to improve at some point. I certainly don't train the day before a match (or before a match) and I don't train for long periods because holding a 48oz. shooting iron can strain something quickly.

Chuck,
Since you are just starting out with bullseye, reliability is most important. Choose a standard velocity rimfire, and make sure your gun works all the time. Mark your magazines, numbers, not your name. That way if there is repetative problems, usually feeding, you can see if it's one particular mag. You'd be surprised how many seasoned shooters overlook this simple deductive reasoning tool. For either dry fire or live fire, work on slow fire first. 20 or 30 shots. Then go to timed and rapid. Get a countdown timer for slow fire, so you'll know how much time is left and you won't rush and toss shots.
For Slow fire, DON"T try to get a "Perfect" sight picture, you never will. The dot always moves! Get a clean break while your wobble zone is small. Do not be afraid to lower your gun, take another breath and start over if the shot doesn't look acceptable. When you do get to the range to practice, run the gallery course cold. Don't shoot it 5 times and pick out the best target of each and tell yourself..."Hey, I shot a 288 in practice" Shoot it cold, and count only the first course. Then practice more.

Good tips so far. My points:

Slow Fire: Don't be afraid to put the gun down! I you start struggling to hold the gun on target after a few seconds, and you are continuing to hold your breath, you will only end up tossing it away. Put it down, start the process all over again. You have plenty of time - don't rush it. Try to make all of your movements consistent from shot to shot.

Timed Fire: Get that first shot off instantly when the buzzer sounds! Then you've got all day to squeeze the next four shots. This means having the gun on target before the final range comand (All ready on the firing line...). Try to keep a shot rhythm if possible to make sure you complete the string within the 20 seconds.

Rapid Fire: See above. Some folks will actually shoot the Timed fire round in 10 seconds (instead of 20) just to keep a consistent rhythm.

Other points:

Have 6 loaded mags READY before starting the match. Spend your time on the line getting your natural point of aim and getting ready for the string, rather than loading rounds.

Watch the other shooters - especially the high-scoring ones - for pointers. They must be doing something right!

A good shooting box with attached scope is a big help, and keeps your mind on shooting, rather than trying to find things. Have tools and spare parts handy, like a small screwdriver, replacement battery for the red dot, etc.

Before and after shooting, brush off the chamber and bolt face with a toothbrush, and run a boresnake through. That's all you need to keep it in ready-to-shoot condition.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, (eat,sleep,work) PRACTICE !

Chuck,

I'll be shooting my first match on Monday (with Dick I hope).

I can second the comment about zeroing the red dot in the actual shooting position. I mounted and zeroed mine last night and was surprised how much it moved from bench rest to standing.

Regarding rapid/timed fire: there are recordings of the range commands available online (I think it is on bullseyepistol.com). My range has a tape recorder of the commands to use in practice. I like the idea of just practicing the first shot. I need to try this too.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom