• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting Started in HAM

LittleCalm

NES Member
So I was thinking it might be a good idea to have an ECOMM backup system, even if it's just receiving and not transmitting. The amount of info on the web is overwhelming. Here is my current thinking and am looking for guidance.

-- Am not looking to get into ham right away as a transmitter. I have a lot of hobbies. I might not go hard core here. So I was thinking of starting with just a receiver.

-- I want to get the most bang for my buck by getting something that will receive a wide variety of SW channels. Other stuff, like NOAA, AM, FM would be a bonus.

-- I understand that SSB is pretty critical.

-- It seems like handhelds are not terribly effective. Seems like a small portable base receiver would be preferable. Question is whether to start with the portable stuff like the Grundig 700/750, Sony 7600, Sangean 909, or whether to step up to something like an Alinco DX-R8T. Beyond that, you start getting into expensive ICOM and Yaesu semi-portbale and table top units.

-- I want to be mindful of power consumption - would like to be able to have something with reasonably low current draw that I could run off car or similar large cell 12V batteries in case of power outage.

-- Scalability: Interestingly, the price difference between something like the Alinco R8T receiver and the SR8T transceiver is not much. So perhaps I should think about getting a transceiver in case I decide to get my license. I also am aware of the Yaesu FT-817 and 857, and understand their power differences. But the 857 in particular is real expensive (>$850). Thus, I was thinking of starting with a base receiver first vs. weighing it against the Alincos.

-- Antennas. I do not want to throw wires in trees, lay out wires on my roof or set up a 40 foot tower in my back yard (not yet anyway). Are portable antennas like the Buddipole, MFJ or the MP1 super antenna (SuperAntenna -Official Website - New Super Antennas SuperAntennas Portable) the way to go?

-- Other peripherals, like antenna tuners. No idea whether I need them.

Any help is appreciated.

The most logical thing to get first if you are not going for your ticket would be a scanner. You will be able to program in the local ham UHF/VHF bands and receive NOAA, plus Police, Fire, EMS, etc.

I have had the 817 and now have the 857. Both great radios and have advantages and disadvantages to each. The 817 will be a great option for you to listen to everything you are looking to listen to.

Antennas, i have a long dipole set up at the house and also a buddipole for when i go portable. You by what they call end-fed antennas for each HF band you want to hear, small and portable and easily deployed up in a tree.

I just purchased a Drake 2B receiver and need some information about antennas. I also do not want to string wire all over the back yard. I have tryed a wire inside the house and it has not been very effictive. I have only pulled in a few on 80 and 40 meters.
What would be the best option for a 80 to 10 meter band antenna? I purchased this receiver to listen so I would get to understand ham radio better. I would like to try to get my lic.

I think if you can get a wire up in the air, maybe some paracord and weight, you should be able ot hear plenty. Also depends n time of day. 80 at night is generally best while 40 and 20 are the go to bands during the day.

I just purchased a Drake 2B receiver and need some information about antennas. I also do not want to string wire all over the back yard. I have tryed a wire inside the house and it has not been very effictive. I have only pulled in a few on 80 and 40 meters.
What would be the best option for a 80 to 10 meter band antenna? I purchased this receiver to listen so I would get to understand ham radio better. I would like to try to get my lic.

That is easy, a wire.

Go get some small guage wire 14-22 awg and find a tree, 25-35ft of wire up high slung horizontally will work great for a basic receiving wire.

I wouldn't bother getting you HAM ticket at all unless you plan on making a true hobby out of it,Just buy one for SHTF if you need too....FCC isn't going to give a shit when the world starts falling apart.

I wouldn't bother getting you HAM ticket at all unless you plan on making a true hobby out of it,Just buy one for SHTF if you need too....FCC isn't going to give a shit when the world starts falling apart.

If he doesn't make it a hobby, how is he going to know how to use the radio for communications.

I say just get the Tech license and take it from there.

If he just wants to listen to ham radio, he can just go listen to any of the numerous online feeds.

Last edited:
Sounds like I could get the Alinco transceiver, throw a wire up in a tree, check it out for a while and if I decide to go further go get my tech and general licenses and start investing more time/money. I feel like there's a huge learning curve just to figure out whether it might be something to really get into. I am a gear/techy type w/engineering degree.

Sounds like I could get the Alinco transceiver, throw a wire up in a tree, check it out for a while and if I decide to go further go get my tech and general licenses and start investing more time/money. I feel like there's a huge learning curve just to figure out whether it might be something to really get into. I am a gear/techy type w/engineering degree.

exactly, just be careful once you get your license and decided to transmit that you have a proper antenna or you could fry your radio.

If he doesn't make it a hobby, how is he going to know how to use the radio for communications.

If he just wants to listen to ham radio, he can just go listen to any of the numerous online feeds.

I don't think anyone should get a radio "just to have it, just in case". It is critical you learn how to use it or else the only good it will do for you is a piece of equipment to trade if you have to.

I don't think anyone should get a radio "just to have it, just in case". It is critical you learn how to use it or else the only good it will do for you is a piece of equipment to trade if you have to.
This^
Many of the radios are a computer, but with a 2" screen, 16 keys on the keyboard and no mouse. In other words, they take time and experience to learn how to use. Then there's actually operating on the air and knowing what the radio will and won't do. When the SHTF you'll be falling back on training and experience, not learning new things.

Really not that hard to figure out how to operate a radio...if you have basic knowledge on how stuff works,it's pretty straight forward.

Really not that hard to figure out how to operate a radio...if you have basic knowledge on how stuff works,it's pretty straight forward.

Really? Which kind? If you talking a 4 watt CB then yes but if you are trying to make contact across the country or across the world you can do some damage to not only yourself but your equipment.

Really? Which kind? If you talking a 4 watt CB then yes but if you are trying to make contact across the country or across the world you can do some damage to not only yourself but your equipment.

huh?

Most things come with an instruction manual...since when does having to have a HAM ticket make you smart?

Buy a book...read it...it's really not that hard.

I did a Karma for two Books "Get Your Ham License" that I read and put them up...all I ever needed to know.

I have an IC-751a which was pretty straight forward out of the box used with no instructions.

You don't need or will need a HAM license to operate a radio during a massive end of the world type event.

If you want a piece of paper from the .gov saying you can use airwaves and have your Name and Address posted for all to see....have at it.

You want to go legit ...make it a hobby get a ticket and blab or beep away.

huh?

Most things come with an instruction manual...since when does having to have a HAM ticket make you smart?

Buy a book...read it...it's really not that hard.

I did a Karma for two Books "Get Your Ham License" that I read and put them up...all I ever needed to know.

I have an IC-751a which was pretty straight forward out of the box used with no instructions.

You don't need or will need a HAM license to operate a radio during a massive end of the world type event.

If you want a piece of paper from the .gov saying you can use airwaves and have your Name and Address posted for all to see....have at it.

You want to go legit ...make it a hobby get a ticket and blab or beep away.

I never posted you need a ham ticket to learn how to operate a radio.

I guess I don't need to get out and shoot my AR since it came with a manual.

Fortunately the OP understands what I am saying and were I am coming from so I have no worry he will learn to use his radio for whatever purpose he sees fit.

Last edited:
If you scroll up you would realize my statements never intended for the OP not to learn how to use one...I said it was not all that hard to figure out....and that you don't need to get a license unless you plan on making a hobby out of it.

I don't have my license nor do I use my HAM radios.

I play in 11 meter only.

Explain the difficulty in operating a radio....kinda map it out for the new guys.

Well, best would be to "string wire all over the back yard." There is no magical antenna out there for what you want to do. A half wave dipole on 80 meters is ~130' long. Also, the Drake 2B (I have one also teamed up with a Viking Navigator) is about a 50 year old design. You might have some tubes and components that need replacing.

So, what do you suggest for fixing your radio in the field that is 50 years old, is acting flaky and has a bunch of worn out capacitors???

Do you know the steps involved in putting a modern SDR to use???

Modern communications is much more than a simple afterthought of turning the thing on and pressing a PTT button. Many interesting military comms are in digital forms such as RTTY, Pactor and others. Do you know how to interface such equipment with your HF receiver in order to listen in??? Do you even know what these modes are???

I think that I have a superb comm plan that complements all of my other preparations. In my truck alone, I have radios that cover from HF (Icom 7000) through 900 MHZ and everything in between. In addition, I have numerous UHF and 900 MHZ radios that have AES-256 encryption and I have the required keyloader so I can add or change keys as desired. This is the same encryption that our military forces use in the combat zone. What are your comm plans in a SHTF scenario??? Have you even thought about who you want to listen to or actually communicate with???

Explain the difficulty in operating a radio....kinda map it out for the new guys.

I'm looking into getting my Technician class license.

What's the best route? Take a class? Self-study with the book?

Buy the license manual and start reading. If you think you need more guidance, see about a class and/or finding a local ham with a license who can help you. The manual is a good reference to have around even if you end up taking a class.

Buy the license manual and start reading. If you think you need more guidance, see about a class and/or finding a local ham with a license who can help you. The manual is a good reference to have around even if you end up taking a class.

Thanks. I'll do that. Wish they had an electronic version of the license manual. But, this is RF after all. The analog guys were always making fun of us digital guys back in school...

Back
Top Bottom