• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting started in USPSA

So I've had some free time over the last couple months and managed to put together a decent beginners USPSA CO kit. I've never shot or even been to a match before, but I'd really like to try my hand. Looking online, there don't seem to be a lot scheduled at the moment, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on which are some of the better / worse clubs for beginners, if I should bother signing up for any out of state (given the 10rnd MA restriction), tips or things I should know, etc.

There are several places including Old Colony Sportsman’s association that do into to IDPA somewhat regularly.

Yes it’s not USPSA. But will give you a good starting point and teach you the basics.

Hopkington did have a few intro to USPSA classes. But have not seen one since the lock down.

That said. Most clubs require you to have taken a class prior to signing up.

But. Find a local match, go down and watch one, talk to some of the people and help tape. Lol.

You are limited to 10 in the mag in IDPA. But there are classes in USPSA specifically for 10 rooms mags.

I shoot both and have done a bunch of matches. PM me if you have any questions.

There are several places including Old Colony Sportsman’s association that do into to IDPA somewhat regularly.

Yes it’s not USPSA. But will give you a good starting point and teach you the basics.

Hopkington did have a few intro to USPSA classes. But have not seen one since the lock down.

That said. Most clubs require you to have taken a class prior to signing up.

But. Find a local match, go down and watch one, talk to some of the people and help tape. Lol.

You are limited to 10 in the mag in IDPA. But there are classes in USPSA specifically for 10 rooms mags.

I shoot both and have done a bunch of matches. PM me if you have any questions.
Appreciate the reply. Had no idea about a class being required, I’ll have to look into taking one. Are all IDPA limited to 10rnds? Would optics be legal in a 10rnd USPSA class? From what I read, I thought Limited-10 was irons only.

Honestly I forget the class requirements for optics in uspsa as I only have one with an optic and it’s sits in the safe.

My bad. Division. Not class(ification). Division is where the equipment matters.

You can shoot 10 round mags in any diversion. You just won’t be as competitive.

So you could shoot open division with optics and 10 round mags.

Most places want you to take an intro class so that you know the basics I.e range commands, how to sadly load, unload, scoring, and the fundamentals of shooting a course of fire etc.

Idpa is limited to 10 in the mag. So even if you are LEO or pre bans. You can only have 10 in a mag (+ 1 in the chamber to start). PCC in idpa you can have more than 10 in the mag. But some places only allow 10.

Production division is 10rd limit also but iron sights only. Carry Optics doesn't have a mag limit as far as I remember. I know Monson doesn't require a class for USPSA and the people were very helpful when I started last year, you just needed to let them know you were a beginner. That said its helpful to watch a bunch of youtube videos to understand the basics of scoring, moving, and safety rules. My first match was fun but it wasn't until part way through the match that I found out misses counted for -10 points. I had thought only no shoots were -10. I had a few stages were my hit factor (points per second) was basically zero because I took so long and I had a lot of misses. The matches in Monson now are limited to I think 40 people who sign up on practiscore though because of COVID restrictions and social distancing. I remember having matches where there were like 70-80 shooters at the match last year.

Never heard of clubs requiring shooters to take a class prior to attending a match. Then again I’ve only been shooting USPSA/IDPA since 2015.

As long as you have safe gun handling skills especially watching your muzzle so you don’t break the 180 degrees and making sure you keep your finger off the trigger during reloads and running around etc, you’ll be fine. Just come out to a match. Though you’ll have to pre-register with most matches now. Especially due to the Rona.

Where abouts in MA are you? Edit: looks like Boston area.

Here’s a link to the USPSA match calendar in the northeast.

I shoot both IDPA and USPSA to maximize trigger time etc. Though USPSA is much less confusing and more fun IMO.

I’m attending the IDPA match at Old Colony in Pembroke on Saturday. Pioneer Sportsman’s in Dunbarton NH has an IDPA match on Saturday too.

Pembroke:

Pioneer:

Looks like the Berwick, ME USPSA match on Sunday is full

The USPSA match at Lee Sportsman’s on Sunday is open. I’ve never been as I don’t want to drive 2 hours each way.

Some places do require you to have taken a class or have had shot a match or two prior. Some don’t care. Helps to have some knowledge before you get the the line...

@andrew1220. I’ll see you sat... I’m in squad 3.

We run a “intro to action shooting” class at Old Colony. Us and several other clubs request (not necessarily require) you either take a class somewhere or have prior match experience.

The only requirement is to show you can safely handle a firearm, draw and holster safely and follow commands. We watch for muzzle control, fingers on the trigger while doing anything other than shooting and any other safety concerns. We also have you shoot while moving forward, backwards and side to side.

We do review the basic rules and scoring, fault lines, stage boundaries, safe tables and other things but the biggest thing is SAFETY.

You would be amazed at how many people show up to a match as a new shooter/ first time competitor and can’t even manipulate their slide or load a magazine backwards. A match is not the place to deal with that and that’s why it’s becoming more common for places to do the same.

Last edited:
Some places do require you to have taken a class or have had shot a match or two prior. Some don’t care. Helps to have some knowledge before you get the the line...

@andrew1220. I’ll see you sat... I’m in squad 3.
Oh nice! Yeah I’ll see you on Saturday. I’m on squad 4.

I've said this before.
I think that shooting a Steel Challenge match or two is the best way to get into the USPSA game. All of the safety rules and range commands are exactly the same and any RO would be willing to help you through the stages. I find it to be a bit slower paced and more relaxing.

Last edited:
Never heard of clubs requiring shooters to take a class prior to attending a match. Then again I’ve only been shooting USPSA/IDPA since 2015.

Its more of an "Intro to". Scoring, gear, fast draw , range commands,all that.

So I've had some free time over the last couple months and managed to put together a decent beginners USPSA CO kit. I've never shot or even been to a match before, but I'd really like to try my hand. Looking online, there don't seem to be a lot scheduled at the moment, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on which are some of the better / worse clubs for beginners, if I should bother signing up for any out of state (given the 10rnd MA restriction), tips or things I should know, etc.

Practiscore. Make an account, punch in some info, and you can search within a radius to where you live.
Its come a long way in the past few years, lot of clubs are either on it or moving to it.

Anything will get you started. Bowling pin shoots, Steel challenge, Outlaw Steel, IDPA, Anything action pistol involving a timer and range commands (those seem to be universal). Also a good way to narrow down what you NEED/HAVE vs. what you WANT as far as gear goes.

Facebook (as much as I hate to admit it) can be a decent resource for clubs in your area. Theres announcements you might not find on Practiscore, like club level outlaw stuff.

Good luck, and welcome to obsessing over 10th's of a second!

Check out Holbrook, they run very chill action shooting events with the goal of getting people into the sport. I just did my first one, and hope to do a few more, i was impressed how relaxed everyone was, and helpful, their intent was to enjoy it, be safe, and learn the format, really recommend it. AFter that I went home, ordered some mag pouches and im about to order a new holster.

I've said this before.
I think that shooting a Steel Challenge match or two is the best way to get into the USPSA game. All of the safety rules and range commands are exactly the same and any RO would be willing to help you through the stages. I find it to be a bit slower paced and more relaxing.
Agreed. Though I jumped right into IDPA in 2015 without ever taking any classes. BUT I had been shooting for years prior to that so I was more than comfortable/safe with muzzle and trigger finger discipline etc.

Lots of good info in here, thanks guys. Looking into taking an introduction class, and picked up some pouches for IDPA since there seem to be more matches around here than I had initially thought.

Marshfield has a practice, once per month. Check their calendar.

Hopkinton has a practice every Wednesday at 5pm.

Practiscore is where you sing up, but you have to be prepared and know when registration will open. The last one I signed up for, the match was full in less than 1hr.

The first Sunday of September, Granby will have a match, and I think Marshfield has a match on the second weekend (check the calendars) and Hopkinton has another march coming up, but I forget when.

USPSA Carry Optic - mags limited to 140mm, which is typically 15-17 rounds, but can be as much as 20; unlimited number of magazines on your belt.
If you're set on CO and you only have 10 round mags, you're just going to have to live with it and manage your reloads.
If you're not set on CO, then check out Production division, that's limited to 10 rounds (Plus one in first).
Carry Optic and Production are both minor power factor.
Limited-10 is limited to 10 rounds (plus one), in a MAJOR powerfactor.

IDPA Carry Optic - This is a "specialty division for idpa matches", (match directors are encouraged to incorporate division in match, and I haven't found any match that won't let me shoot Carry Optic).
Gun must fit in box, (with optic cut out in the back of box); 3 magazines total, 10+1 for initial load, then 10 round mags for 2nd and 3rd mag.
Gun must meet ESP division requirements except for sights, lasers and weight.

I'll echo what a lot of others have said

Looking online, there don't seem to be a lot scheduled at the moment
Everything is messed up this year. Many clubs are capping attendance and/or making matches invite only. Many matches are filling up in record time.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on which are some of the better / worse clubs for beginners
I think that you will find that as long as you tell your RO/SO that you are a beginner they, and most people on your squad, will do everything that they can to make you succeed. As long as you are safe nobody will care how slow or inaccurately you shoot.

if I should bother signing up for any out of state (given the 10rnd MA restriction), tips or things I should know, etc.
At this point don't worry about your 10 round limitation. As long as you have enough mags and mag holders to get through the stages. If you find a match that you are willing to drive to in another state go for it.

tips or things I should know, etc.
Your job is to get comfortable with the range commands, making sure you keep your finger off the trigger when you move and reload, and make sure you keep the gun pointed downrange and nowhere near the 180. Help tape. Help tear down and help put stuff away. Ask questions, people are more than willing to help you. If a person is up next don't bug them and let them get one last look at the stage and get in the zone. Get familiar with what a cold range is. Don't handle your gun unless you are at a safe table or if you are up and the RO has told you to make ready. If you drop your gun, DON'T pick it up, tell the RO.

This year was/is a cluster ... bathroom repairs. Depending where you are, check also Mansfield club, they have action practice on Wednesdays, just to steal some "business" from Hopkinton. Getting on the matches is quite problematic.

PS. Aiming for Zero (September 11 - 13) registration is open, hurry up!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom