• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting started with IDPA

Recently joined IDPA and would appreciate any advice out there on how to get involved in IDPA matches. I am interested in this style of competition, are there any matches or practice locations that can accomodate a beginner? Also would a S&W Sigma 9mm be acceptable to compete with?

Doug, I'm not sure where North Dighton is, so I can't tell you where to look for local matches. Check in the back of the Outdoor Message (the GOAL newsletter - you ARE a member of GOAL if N. Dighton is in MA, right??).

As for what you need:
Reliable centerfire pistol at least 9mm or .38 Special or larger.
Concealment holster for your strong side (no cross-draw, small of back, shoulder holster or Thunderwear/Smartcarry allowed for safety reasons.
Concealment garment (a vest is fine).
At LEAST 2 spare mags or speedloaders - more is preferable.
At least 200 rounds per match/practice.
The usual safety gear - eyes and ears.

Good luck; IDPA is a ton of fun.

(As long as your Sigma shoots RELIABLY - no jamming - it's fine.)

Doug,
I'm in Rehoboth and pass through Dighton all the time. New Bedford IDPA is the closest to us. It is a very good place to start and there happens to be an IDPA match on their schedule for this Sunday.

http://www.rodgun-nb.org/ap/schedules/schedule.htm

Contact for Dave Bold is on their page. He heads up IDPA there.

If you are looking for a range close by to join, RIMLC in Rehoboth is close. We have a bunch of guys that shoot USPSA, IDPA, steel.
Steve

Thanks

Thanks for the info, i will check out New Bedford on sunday. Do you think i could shoot in a novice class on Sunday or should i watch first?

I would bring your gear and try it. If there is anything you're uncomfortable with just let the SO know and skip it. Just do everything slowly and safely and they'll guide you through it.

You'll be hooked by the end of the day.

Thanks for the info, i will check out New Bedford on sunday. Do you think i could shoot in a novice class on Sunday or should i watch first?

Doug, bring your gear and see Dave Bold when you get there. He is a great guy and will probably connect you with a "buddy" for the match.

Back
Top Bottom