• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ghost Gun used in Middleboro Shooting

Doesn't he have to be at least 21 to even own a handgun in MA, serialized or not? Seems to be lots of misinformation in the article (no surprise).

Last edited:
what is the charge 'Possession of a Firearm Without a Serial Number' _exactly_ based on?
i know the selling of the firearm with no number is illegal, true. removal/alteration is prohibited - true.

if it was never there - which law article controls that? google did not give much.

News has it wrong anyway, don't have to enter a serial number when you efa10 a p80. It's just more propaganda.
i do not think they got it wrong, they copied it from the document - so i asked too.

Quote from article
But once completed, the firearm needs to be registered and have a serial number stamped on it in order for it to be possessed legally.

I expect some clarification soon on these 80% in MA soon. Bans or fake bans soon coming

Last edited:
No, it's not. The commercial manufacture and sale of new firearms without serialization is illegal. There are perfectly legal ways to sell unserialized firearms.
so, taken that to account - then where could a phrase 'Possession of a Firearm Without a Serial Number' originate from then?

i know the selling of the firearm with no number is illegal, true.
Not true. As long as the original intent of the unserialized manufactured firearms was “personal use”, then its perfectly legal to sell. However, manufacturing with the intention of immediately selling is illegal.

perhaps it was produced rectally?
perhaps, but it sits in the official paper with the list of charges - one would want to hope that content there is expected to have some legal reference.
but, realistically, you can be charged with whatever they think, it just not going to stick in the court of law later, if judge decides so. or it will, and then becomes a precedent.

I think what the poster above meant regarding selling unserialized guns is that if you finish an 80% build you don't have to have a serial number on it in order to own it but you do need to serialize it if you want to sell it. Right?

I think what the poster above meant regarding selling unserialized guns is that if you finish an 80% build you don't have to have a serial number on it in order to own it but you do need to serialize it if you want to sell it. Right?
It's unclear that this is true. They would certainly prefer that you do this; but if you built it for personal use, and later decide you don't want to own it any more, you may not be legally required to engrave it.

perhaps, but it sits in the official paper with the list of charges - one would want to hope that content there is expected to have some legal reference.
but, realistically, you can be charged with whatever they think, it just not going to stick in the court of law later, if judge decides so. or it will, and then becomes a precedent.
It is not unheard of that a police officer might charge someone for a crime that doesn't exist. Nor that reporters might mis-report. (Per @swatgig above, the actual charge seems to be related to defaced serial numbers)

News has it wrong anyway, don't have to enter a serial number when you efa10 a p80. It's just more propaganda.
They didn't even say it needed to be Miller lol scare tactics... although they definitely are showing up more and more

It is not unheard of that a police officer might charge someone for a crime that doesn't exist. Nor that reporters might mis-report. (Per @swatgig above, the actual charge seems to be related to defaced serial numbers)

it's probably in the same category of bullshit lingo as "high rate of speed", which technically means "high acceleration" but commonly used in courts.

"charged him with allegedly shooting at three people in a parking lot." - so was that for a good reason? [rofl] [pot]

"At approximately 1 a.m., Middleborough Police responded" - nothing good happens after midnight

"charged him with allegedly shooting at three people in a parking lot." - so was that for a good reason? [rofl] [pot]

"At approximately 1 a.m., Middleborough Police responded" - nothing good happens after midnight
Probably was trying to rid the world of a few middleborough troglodytes

Isn't a Ghost Gun one where the serial number has been removed?

Stop it. Making shit up isn't helping.

If a gun is completed from an 80% lower, it never had a serial number.

Pretty sure that's what most people consider a "ghost gun.'

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me how I'm wrong though, so....

Isn't a Ghost Gun one where the serial number has been removed?
The term came about a few years back when the existence of 80% completions was realized by the media. The media is terrified that the hoi polloi may have guns out there without the state knowing about them, like ghosts that only appear when they want to, and then disappear into the night.

That being said, some places use the term to refer to a serialized gun that has had the number defaced. My opinion is that they do so to tar people who make a firearm on their own with the same brush as criminals trying to hide something.

If a gun is completed from an 80% lower, it never had a serial number.

Pretty sure that's what most people consider a "ghost gun.'

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me how I'm wrong though, so....
No, that's pretty much it.

so, taken that to account - then where could a phrase 'Possession of a Firearm Without a Serial Number' originate from then?
When committing a crime...... it is illegal in some states to possess a firearm without a serial number while committing a crime, they assume that the serial has been removed Not sure on Ma but in RI i think they recently raised the penalty to 10 years in jail a few years ago.

When committing a crime...... it is illegal in some states to possess a firearm without a serial number while committing a crime, they assume that the serial has been removed Not sure on Ma but in RI i think they recently raised the penalty to 10 years in jail a few years ago.
everything has its own proper name. the name is -
possession of a gun/firearm whose serial number is defaced during the commission of a felony

what we have here is a very different name and that was why i asked, as it means a bit much more.
so it is either they now equalized the non-existing serial that never was supposed to exist with a defaced one, or just full of shit in assumption it will pass.
but i for sure would love to see list of factual convictions when that person will be done with all court proceedings, and the verbiage of those convictions.

everything has its own proper name. the name is -
possession of a gun/firearm whose serial number is defaced during the commission of a felony

what we have here is a very different name and that was why i asked, as it means a bit much more.
so it is either they now equalized the non-existing serial that never was supposed to exist with a defaced one, or just full of shit in assumption it will pass.

Well that is far too long for their bullet point list, and to the average person if they can't find the number they would have no idea if it was removed or it ever had one.......tell it to the Judge

Back
Top Bottom