Ghost Guns new threat

I actually bought one of those. I laugh every time I pick it up.

I'm reminded of this

APAR148004-ar15-ghost-gun-lower-1-660x416.jpg

So, technically, legally, when the builder/owner dies the Lower can never be legal ?

Unless there were some mechanism for generating a Serial Number and filing it with the ATF ? (wouldn't that be fun - NOT)

FUN FACT: Apparently manufacturers can generate any Serial Number they wish. I do believe the Handgun Manufacturer Seecamp will (or at least used to) serialize any of their pistols with any number or name you like, for a small fee. Yes, a NAME can be a "Serial Number".

But can a symbol ? Like "Prince" tried to do ?

prince_symbol.png

Last edited:
FUN FACT: Apparently manufacturers can generate any Serial Number they wish. I do believe the Handgun Manufacturer Seecamp will (or at least used to) serialize any of their pistols with any number or name you like, for a small fee. Yes, a NAME can be a "Serial Number".

I've seen this on Seecamps.
The very first Seecamp I ever saw was an early model LWS 25 with the serial number "ADCO 1", which was made for the owner of ADCO when they were in Woburn.

Thompson/Center used to do this through their custom shop, back when they were at the old Fox Ridge Outfitters in Rochester NH. The foundry where they made the receivers and other parts was next door, and you could order a flatside Contender frame with a custom serial number.
But those days are long gone........... [sad2]

I've seen this on Seecamps.
The very first Seecamp I ever saw was an early model LWS 25 with the serial number "ADCO 1", which was made for the owner of ADCO when they were in Woburn.

Thompson/Center used to do this through their custom shop, back when they were at the old Fox Ridge Outfitters in Rochester NH. The foundry where they made the receivers and other parts was next door, and you could order a flatside Contender frame with a custom serial number.
But those days are long gone........... [sad2]

Apparently DEMI MOORE had a Seecamp serialized for her. I forget what NAME she had put on it, tho.

(So, useless post) [sad2]

".30 Caliber Clip" ???

Yup all sarcasm / tongue in cheek humor / making fun of clueless politicians.

D (for Democrat) was Ssafe, .30 Caliber Clip was Fire, and /half sec was Full Auto (because it could fire 30 bullets in a half second)

[video=youtube_share;iJmFEv6BHM0]http://youtu.be/iJmFEv6BHM0[/video]

Last edited:
So, technically, legally, when the builder/owner dies the Lower can never be legal ?

Unless there were some mechanism for generating a Serial Number and filing it with the ATF ? (wouldn't that be fun - NOT)

But can a symbol ? Like "Prince" tried to do ?

prince_symbol.png

There is. You can apply to the ATF for a serial number. It costs you $200.

Link to form is here www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-1-application-make-and-register-firearm-atf-form-53201/download

Yup all sarcasm / tongue in cheek humor / making fun of clueless politicians.

D (for Democrat) was Ssafe, .30 Caliber Clip was Fire, and /half sec was Full Auto (because it could fire 30 bullets in a half second)

[video=youtube_share;iJmFEv6BHM0]http://youtu.be/iJmFEv6BHM0[/video]

Miculek tried out the .30 caliber clip magazine and got this:

https://youtu.be/REdjjLBaiOs

[rofl] @ the video comments.

Can we post sources for lumps of aluminum ?

I somehow doubt the Preppers that run these companies are going to wet their pants at the thought of a strongly worded letter from Maura.

I'd love to buy an inexpensive one - you know - as a paperweight.

PM me if needed, please.

Can we post sources for lumps of aluminum ?

I somehow doubt the Preppers that run these companies are going to wet their pants at the thought of a strongly worded letter from Maura.

I'd love to buy an inexpensive one - you know - as a paperweight.

PM me if needed, please.

Check your local scrapyards. I found a large piece a while back that I couldn't pass up.

Watched the video.

A $60 Drill Press, combined with a decent vise, should produce nice drilled holes.

But a Milling Machine ?

So, my question: I am unfamiliar with the inner guts of the AR-15. Is the milled hole merely clearance for the Trigger Group ?

Can drilling a few large holes, and then cleaning up with a good Pillar File produce an adequate result ?

Pillar_File.jpg

I have seen some decent ones that take a fair bit of labor, but a decent router is needed after you have pilot holes started. Does not top a professional milling machine

Ok, my bad.

I'm only interested in BLACK lumps.

That's racist!!! [rofl2]

Using the drill and file method you could be looking at 10+ hours of work. Need then you have a high chance of hammer bind. You really can't beat the quality and speed from using a good size milling machine. Maker spaces often have then available. I have my eyes on a mid sized bench top mill from Grizzly that should run under $1400 to my door. That will have more than enough power to do the job. I already have a milling vice to use with it.

Yes you can do it with a drill and file, assuming you have patience. I would recommend buying reamers for the holes. Drills are ok if you have good ones and a mill. Freehand, I wouldn't counting on just drilling them.

Yes you can do it with a drill and file, assuming you have patience. I would recommend buying reamers for the holes. Drills are ok if you have good ones and a mill. Freehand, I wouldn't counting on just drilling them.

A cheap Drill Press is like $60. A no-brainer.

So you buy a good set of Vise Jaws for the Lower, drill undersize, and put the reamer thru at low speed with proper lubrication ?

Yea, a putty knife and a claw hammer is all you need. maybe if your skilled enough you could do it with a pocket knife.

Without a decent milling machine you might be able to get something to work but it will be a less than ideal outcome.

Criminals aren't going around buying 2000 dollar mills to make guns. 1) they don't have the skills 2) why not just buy a street gun for a few hundred bucks and save the cost of the mill? Don't forget you'll need a good amount of room for that mill and a good 220v circuit to run it. This is just more anti BS!

Like a woodworking router ?

How about one of these ?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-cross-slide-vise-32997.html

Cross-Slide Vise $75

I use this vice with my drill press. http://m.globalindustrial.com/m/p/metalworking-tools/vises/machine-drill-vises/vises-irwin-quick-grip-226340?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CLmLrqfertACFc1KDQodg9gAoQ& Home Depot sells a similar vice.

A Milwaukee router, yes a woodworking router. And an 80% lower jig. You use the jig to locate relief holes before using a router with an endmill bit. The jig has built in guides and a depth guide. They are designed for use with a drill and router.
I did my first one with a hand drill. It's a lot easier with a drill press.

Drilling through jig.

image_zpslju8cmra.jpg

Drilled receiver

image_zpsfbc1vyd5.jpg

Milled out receiver.

image_zpslg0xjmst.jpg

Last edited:
This is not rocket science. With a jig, lots of people have done just fine with a hand drill and a file. Yes a drill press or a mill will make it easier.

This is not rocket science. With a jig, lots of people have done just fine with a hand drill and a file. Yes a drill press or a mill will make it easier.

This^

I've seen it done, a friend of mine did several like this.

The inside may not be all that pretty, but who ever sees the inside except the guy who builds it ???

I may even borrow his jig and take a stab at one myself.

Back
Top Bottom