GIF’s not giffing…

cams

NES Member
For the smart people is there a general reason some GIF’s won’t load properly? It’s happened a few times now that I’ll post up a funny gif but it just translates to a still photo when posted.

They work fine before posting, but once they’re on the site they don’t.

In to know lol
It’s happening more often than not.
Just tried to upload 15 of them:
10 - file is to large
4 - only still picture
1 - worked

Attachments

• 41F2FCF3-BEB0-4370-9713-8808AC8E1444.gif
    41F2FCF3-BEB0-4370-9713-8808AC8E1444.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
For the smart people is there a general reason some GIF’s won’t load properly? It’s happened a few times now that I’ll post up a funny gif but it just translates to a still photo when posted.

Have you considered upgrading from your TRS-80?

More seriously, try a different browser. If it works, clear your cache for the past 24 hours or so, in your regular browser.

Are you attempting to attach them, or just link them? The correct button to use is the 'Media' button in nearly all cases... there's no need to actually attach the gif, just link from its original source.

Are you attempting to attach them, or just link them? The correct button to use is the 'Media' button in nearly all cases... there's no need to actually attach the gif, just link from its original source.
Historically I’ve always used the attach files button for any photos or gifs. Never any issues until recently.

These are generally gifs I have saved to my photo album for easy access to the funny without having to do a search each time.

Is the new OS not recognizing it’s a gif?

I’ve linked to the source in the past and they appear as a still that requires an arrow (play) button be used, which is why I started using the attach file.

Historically I’ve always used the attach files button for any photos or gifs. Never any issues until recently.

These are generally gifs I have saved to my photo album for easy access to the funny without having to do a search each time.

Is the new OS not recognizing it’s a gif?

I’ve linked to the source in the past and they appear as a still that requires an arrow (play) button be used, which is why I started using the attach file.
There shouldn't be any differences with the new host, but it's certainly possible.

Can you give me an example of a post/attachment where you're having issues?

F35A8EDE-1D4D-4555-A795-AAA23D128B0C.jpeg
32052952-83BB-4492-9D2D-3F8E4EBCC7B9.gif4F946800-0741-459F-A3EC-79FA13E6A62B.gif83842750-236F-49D9-B316-49EABF9DBD0F.gifAB64142C-81FB-4E2A-BA1C-9A692B1D2FD5.gif71FDAB4B-889A-430D-A3A5-C130B8968C8A.gif6F85C1ED-A20F-422D-886C-CDFB429595AF.jpeg

All using attach files. First one worked just last night but not today. Last one worked fine in the past. All stored in my photo album. IOS 15.7.1

More often than not for me it is just a patience issue. 😆😆😆It takes time to download it from the interwebs and time to upload it to NES.

Just because it says 100% doesn’t me at it is all there wait a little longer and see if that helps.

View attachment

More often than not for me it is just a patience issue. 😆😆😆It takes time to download it from the interwebs and time to upload it to NES.

Just because it says 100% doesn’t me at it is all there wait a little longer and see if that helps.

View attachment 691313
Understood, I’ve seen it take a little extra time in the past but it shouldn’t take much more than that. The one I linked earlier in green cobras thread (members only), I attached and waited for it 4 diff times thinking it may load properly but it did not.

The link you have in your post does not work for me either. Shows this…

9909F2C2-F345-44F7-B6F8-9B79FB1CC057.png

100%. Have used it here (on NES) a few times already. Further up ^^ I attached 7 gifs all from my photo album. 5 worked 2 didn’t. All good to go otherwise.

Have you changed browsers or anything? From everything I'm seeing on my side, your phone is converting it before I get it in my hands.

Also just as a heads up it doesn’t show any nudity. I wouldn’t do that.

Have you changed browsers or anything? From everything I'm seeing on my side, your phone is converting it before I get it in my hands.
Negative, nothing has changed on my end. Another poster above said he’s having the same issue as well.

As a test I will send it to you via pm and see if it translates the same.

Silly question but can gifs expire like after they’ve been saved? Most of them in my album have been there for a couple years.

Interesting.

So the above same gif, taken from a fresh search and added into my photo album before attaching here works. 🤷‍♂️

It’s not a priority @sHORTY, enjoy your afternoon, I don’t want to take you away from anything for something this small.

Last edited:
Yeah, that one is showing up as a GIF... I'm a bit baffled here, but I'm going to keep looking for any potential causes.

Understood, I’ve seen it take a little extra time in the past but it shouldn’t take much more than that. The one I linked earlier in green cobras thread (members only), I attached and waited for it 4 diff times thinking it may load properly but it did not.

The link you have in your post does not work for me either. Shows this…

View attachment 691314
Didn’t work for me either, and it wasn’t even a gif. 😆😆
303EFCD6-B461-4B50-BD2F-419FE91D77D0.jpeg303EFCD6-B461-4B50-BD2F-419FE91D77D0.jpeg

I just googled up a fresh one, see if that one works here.

View attachment 691382

On your own computer, try double-clicking the file. It should load into a viewer, maybe Edge, Chrome or a photo viewer, depending. Is your old version moving? (Click on some of the ones that are working too)

Probably something corrupted the file on your drive.

On your own computer, try double-clicking the file. It should load into a viewer, maybe Edge, Chrome or a photo viewer, depending. Is your old version moving? (Click on some of the ones that are working too)

Probably something corrupted the file on your drive.
It’s all done on my phone, I’ve never owned a computer, a laptop or a tablet, like ever. 🤷‍♂️
But yes that may be it (I’ve gone about as far as my knowledge of these things will allow). [smile]

Back
Top Bottom