• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GIRLFRIEND SLIPS ON ICE, SHOOTS BOYFRIEND WHILE HUNTING

Last time I slipped on ice all I got was a broken ankle. It sucked but I guess I should consider myself lucky!

Theres a lot of guns out there that will go off with a good smack to the stock. especially ones that only block the trigger from falling. Think SKS
Accidents can happen.

My property is crazy steep toward the top. With all the rain we've gotten, and the wet leaves, I must have slipped and fell a dozen times yesterday while getting to and from the spot I sat. My rifle didn't go off once. Now I'm thinking something must be wrong with it.

Theres a lot of guns out there that will go off with a good smack to the stock. especially ones that only block the trigger from falling. Think SKS
Accidents can happen.
Yup. Most all long guns do not have firing pin blocks and can discharge if dropped. They are single-action and have a relatively heavy firing pin or striker.

A lot of gun owners get the willies looking at a cocked 1911 but don’t bat an eyelash at a bolt action rifle.

When I have to climb over crazy shit in the woods, or even stone wall, etc, I generally unchamber the round. Some of the rifles I hunt with are almost twice my age so I don’t trust The safety to prevent a 150 grain 270 round from hitting me.

My property is crazy steep toward the top. With all the rain we've gotten, and the wet leaves, I must have slipped and fell a dozen times yesterday while getting to and from the spot I sat. My rifle didn't go off once. Now I'm thinking something must be wrong with it.

Better buy a new one. Just in case.

That happened on the powerlines about 6 miles down the road from me. She said the shotgun was on "safe" and her finger wasn't on the trigger.
I don't believe it.

Hunter safety recommends that while still in a group of people, all guns should be unloaded. Yes I know that many will say they need to have one gun loaded in case a deer pops out. Most guns can have a load in the magazine and all you need to to is chamber it if needed. Safeties are mechanical devices that can fail at the worst possible time. This incident proves that is reality.

Hunter safety recommends that while still in a group of people, all guns should be unloaded. Yes I know that many will say they need to have one gun loaded in case a deer pops out. Most guns can have a load in the magazine and all you need to to is chamber it if needed. Safeties are mechanical devices that can fail at the worst possible time. This incident proves that is reality.

I'd follow that with a rifle or slug gun every time, but when actively bird hunting with your immediate hunting partner(s) your going to carry a loaded shotgun on safe.

THAT is why they make that little lever called "the safety"

Safeties on most rifles and shotguns prevent the trigger from being pulled, but they don’t prevent the striker or firing pin from moving. For many of them, it doesn’t take much of a drop for the hammer to jump the sear notch, or the firing pin to set off the cartridge just through inertia.

Last edited:
Safeties on most rifles and shotguns prevent the trigger from being pulled, but they don’t prevent the striker or firing pin from moving. For many of them, it doesn’t take much of a drop for the hammer to jump the seat notch, or the firing pin to set off the cartridge just through inertia.

dat is why i like the cross bolt safeties in rifles, and the little striker plate thing that drops out of the way so the hammer can not hit the firing pin in revolvers.

i can not easily count how many times i have either fallen down, or my rifle fallen down when i thought it was securely resting against a tree or fence.

Back
Top Bottom