• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 20 vs Glock 40

I've owned and shot a Glock 20. It was rather ho hum for me. I have several other 10mm handguns that I love but am also thinking about picking up a model 40 because the trigger feels a little better than the 20 and I like the idea of a 6" barrel beater woods 10mm. (I don't like getting my p220s all sand and crap filled).

Anyone have a model 40 they can comment on?

No, but everyone knows a Glock 40 is *twice* the gun as a Model 20 ;-)

Improving the Glock trigger is something you can easily do yourself....if that's the main issue with the 20.

I’m going through this same dilemma right now because I want to add a 10mm to the stable, especially for camping/hiking. The 40 seems a bit absurd since I have a 45C that I EDC from time to time, and a Colt Competition Stainless that comes in at around 5” barrel length. I don’t want want to carry the Colt though.

However, the 40 is available with the MOS. I like the ability to do that without having to send the slide off to be milled. I have a P365 and P238 for most of my EDC (365 has overtaken the 238). I’ve also been very happy with my Gen5 G19 MOS too.

But the 20 seems like a good size. It just seems like it’s in its own sweet spot for some reason. I’ve ruled out the 29s though.

Bought and love the 40. Shot it yesterday and put 50 rounds into an apple sized group at 20 yards free hand. Absolutely amazing. Used 180 grain Sig Ammo.

Now off to find a holster.

i have 2 10 mm : guns factory ported glock 20 and ruger 1911; love them both. rifle power in a handgun; no need for an oversized pistol cal carbine

From what I have heard, and I have to admit I own zero Glocks. The 20 is appropriate for girls 12-17 and the 40 more suited for women 17-29.

10mm is for hunting and memes. There is no reason to be practical while talking about owning a 10mm, so for both reasons I have listed, the G40 is the answer. It also has a fantastic trigger out of the box.

Bought and love the 40. Shot it yesterday and put 50 rounds into an apple sized group at 20 yards free hand. Absolutely amazing. Used 180 grain Sig Ammo.

Now off to find a holster.

How was the recoil? Also, I think Vedder is running a special on holsters.

10mm is for hunting and memes. There is no reason to be practical while talking about owning a 10mm, so for both reasons I have listed, the G40 is the answer. It also has a fantastic trigger out of the box.

I liked the G19's trigger out of the box too. If the G40 is like that, then I'm leaning towards a G40.

How was the recoil? Also, I think Vedder is running a special on holsters.

I liked the G19's trigger out of the box too. If the G40 is like that, then I'm leaning towards a G40.

The trigger is very similar to my 19X, so I think you will like it just fine. As far as recoil, it is there, but it is more satisfying then a hindrance. It is a hoot when you start beating the snot out of a steel plate with it. I cut the bottom of a G-Code Glock 20/21 holster to accommodate the longer slide (and obnoxious comp because I am a huge douche), it works mint after I clearanced the sight channel a little for those tall bois.

Screenshot_20190711-103927.png

Not to start a caliber war here because I truly believe 9mm is the best for EDC, but if you're facing a threat behind cover or with substantial body mass, 10mm does offer an added level of piece of mind.

Rifle power is another story.

If you were out in the woods where bear were known to be ( I have a friend that goes fishing in Colorado in streams and sees bear all the time) there are very few large capacity high power affordable guns out there that are going to give you a fighting chance, a Glock 20 or 40 are two good choices IMHO. The 40 does have some nice benefits including a better trigger.

If you were out in the woods where bear were known to be ( I have a friend that goes fishing in Colorado in streams and sees bear all the time) there are very few large capacity high power affordable guns out there that are going to give you a fighting chance, a Glock 20 or 40 are two good choices IMHO. The 40 does have some nice benefits including a better trigger.

We have a place in central NH with lots of trails around it it, not to mention all the camping and hiking we do throughout NH/VT/ME. I always carry when camping or hiking anyway, but I’d rather have it (the added horsepower) and not need it, than need it and not have it. We also do a lot of cross country skiing too, so I’m pretty much carrying a pack of some sort year round.

I’m looking forward to picking it up. For the size difference, in my mind, the 40 is worth the difference for my needs.

Last edited:
If you don't reload pick up some Underwood or Buffalo Bore 10mm.

Thanks for the suggestion - appreciate it. I do reload brass, but my reloading space looks like it was just hit by a Cat 5 hurricane because of some home projects I have going on.

Any places I should look at for extra mags? Being in MA sucks and I rarely see pre-bans for the 40 come up. Or I’m just looking in the wrong place.

I need to clarify my first post here (#3) - I meant Delta Elite. I do have a Comp Stainless (.45ACP), but I meant the Delta Elite (10mm). It has only a handful of rounds down it, and I’m keeping it as a collector’s model because Colt just happens to be my drug of choice.

Holy schmoly - this bad boy is larger and in charge. Heavier than I expected, but just a solid piece to hold. Went up to the medium grips, and am going to get some 10mm tomorrow and play for the rest of the afternoon while the wifey is out doing stuff with her friends.

Will report back.

Holy schmoly - this bad boy is larger and in charge. Heavier than I expected, but just a solid piece to hold. Went up to the medium grips, and am going to get some 10mm tomorrow and play for the rest of the afternoon while the wifey is out doing stuff with her friends.

Will report back.
Wait until you shoot it, it'll be a love affair. They're rock solid.

If you have to pay for ammo, you might want to head on over to TargetSports.

When I start to feel like I need to get me a 10mm pistol, I normally start shopping for a couple of cases of ammo and I decide to defer.

But I do still want one...

Good luck with yours, what model did you end up with? Was it the MOS?

I do like the 49MOS.

If you have to pay for ammo, you might want to head on over to TargetSports.

When I start to feel like I need to get me a 10mm pistol, I normally start shopping for a couple of cases of ammo and I decide to defer.

But I do still want one...

Good luck with yours, what model did you end up with? Was it the MOS?

I do like the 49MOS.

I do have the TSUSA membership and will be buying a bulk purchase from them soon. I stopped by Precision Point on the way home from dropping family off at the airport and bought 150 rounds of the Sig 180gr FMJ.

I did purchase the MOS, and am debating sticking with the Delta Point Pro that I have on my G19, or if I should try an RMR or wait for a Gen2 SRO, or at least where they’ve fixed some of the quirks with their first release.

I can’t stop smiling. I’m sure I look like I’m on drugs, but hot damn that was fun to shoot. I took my Gen5 G19 MOS with me, and while realizing they’re totally different firearms with different objectives, I have to say that Glock makes a consistent product.

And a pic of the “brothers” together:

Attachments

• 09822B9E-D93E-4CC9-8CAD-F07DE6DF3241.jpeg
    09822B9E-D93E-4CC9-8CAD-F07DE6DF3241.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 15
  • B1797FCC-4D92-4D91-A376-109B452F20CA.jpeg
    B1797FCC-4D92-4D91-A376-109B452F20CA.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom