Glock 21 or 1911 - which one should I buy?

Says the guy who only buys 115gr RN and uses it for everything, including his carry gun.

Two thoughts:
1) Keep buying 9mm guns noobs! When the next shortage hits, 9mm will be the first to disappear off the shelves.
2) 10mm guys are in a permanent state of ammo shortage and will shoot one box of ammo per year. Since they can't afford(or find) ammo for their G21's, they spend most of their time on NES lording over 9mm pleebs.
3) Glocks are cheap and cheap-looking.
4) 1911 in anything, other than 45ACP, is a joke. The only reason to own 1911 is 45 cal. 1911 is gun history to really appreciate it, man up, and get a proper 45ACP 1911!
I was finding 10mm cheaper than 9mm for a while there so I primarily bought that. Oh how I enjoyed Covid pricing…

I react to guns the same way I react to basses (or guitars, too). I think you do your best work with the one you like the best, most other things being equal. So some of it, for me, is a bit emotional. I know when I like a certain gun, and when I don’t like another.
Which is why I’ll have an irrational overvaluing of Beretta 92s vs other pistols. My sexy heavy hottie Italian mama.

A good sign that you're using a lame pistol caliber is a lack of factory ammo necessitating the use of reloading equipment.

There are two scenarios where reloading is almost a requirement: competitive shooting or training. If you want to win anything beyond the local club meet, you will need to practice. A lot! That means many thousands of rounds of ammo. Being able to reload will save you money but only if you reload 5000 or more on annual basis. The same goes for training. A 2-day course(beyond pistol 101) typically requires 500 rounds+. Add rifle to it and you're looking at another 1000 of 556.

That's certainly an interesting perspective.
Please tell me more about reloading.

I own both but gave the Glock 21 to my son who loves Glocks. I don't care for the grip angle. The Glock has a fatter grip but is simpler to operate. I found accuracy and reliability to be the same.

A good sign that you're using a lame pistol caliber is a lack of factory ammo necessitating the use of reloading equipment.

There are two scenarios where reloading is almost a requirement: competitive shooting or training. If you want to win anything beyond the local club meet, you will need to practice. A lot! That means many thousands of rounds of ammo. Being able to reload will save you money but only if you reload 5000 or more on annual basis. The same goes for training. A 2-day course(beyond pistol 101) typically requires 500 rounds+. Add rifle to it and you're looking at another 1000 of 556.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

this is one of the dumbest/ignorant/most uninformed things I've read on NES in 2022.

And I say that even as a guy who doesnt have time to reload anymore. [rofl] but at least I'm not this level of ignorant.

That stupid argument "I don't shoot caliber XYZ because during a shortage it will be harder to find" ... has been beat to death.

This entire time during COVID, 9mm was still cheaper than the other handgun calibers. Maybe for a month or two it was more expensive than some at $0.70/round.

Those that don't reload and those that don't buy enough ammo always get screwed during these times.

I think this is easy. If you think it’s really a trade space between a Glock and a 1911 you are just not up to possessing a 1911. 1911s reject you. Get a Glock. Put It in your safe next to your HiPoint. Stick to plastic striker fired millennial crap guns and don’t sully yourself with god’s caliber in a full metal hammer fired gun. They are not for you.

I own both but gave the Glock 21 to my son who loves Glocks. I don't care for the grip angle. The Glock has a fatter grip but is simpler to operate. I found accuracy and reliability to be the same.
I respectfully disagree the accuracy is the same. A Gack will never come close to a 1911…how can it, you have to hold then Glock sideways when operating it, gangsta style…

Generally speaking, yes, but it also depends on the shape of the Gold Cup, and how much work it needed. I traded it to a hobbyist/gunsmith who wanted to play with it. I think we were both happy with the deal.

this, turning a broken gun into a working one is usually a win in that sense. I would have made the same trade, even if I generally hate 40.

Some of the most interesting calibers lack a big availability of store ammo. Doesn't make it a lame pistol caliber.

Although I am not a fan of .357 Sig.

It's a .40 necked down to a 9mm. So, it's not "ghey", (I know that's a concern for you), and it makes major power factor. The recoil however...

Truthfully, I picked up the 31 because I won another glock certificate in a match, and I already had every one that I wanted. Friend suggested I try this for bowling pins. It's a very interesting round, but has limited applications in my life. The 31 is the same frame as the 17/34, so it's one that I'm very comfortable with. I loaded hot rounds, (for pins). My .45 is better for pins, it takes them off the table more reliably, and the recoil differences between the two are significant. The 31 is harder to keep on target, it's just as snappy as a .40, and I'm running a gun without a comp.

I've got a conversion barrel for it, drops it to 9mm, mounted an RMR on it - and I mostly use it as a carry gun and as a backup to my Carry Optics.

Periodically I shoot it with stock barrel, and I'm reminded how fast and hard hitting that round is, and I think about carrying it in that form factor...

It's a .40 necked down to a 9mm. So, it's not "ghey", (I know that's a concern for you), and it makes major power factor. The recoil however...

Truthfully, I picked up the 31 because I won another glock certificate in a match, and I already had every one that I wanted. Friend suggested I try this for bowling pins. It's a very interesting round, but has limited applications in my life. The 31 is the same frame as the 17/34, so it's one that I'm very comfortable with. I loaded hot rounds, (for pins). My .45 is better for pins, it takes them off the table more reliably, and the recoil differences between the two are significant. The 31 is harder to keep on target, it's just as snappy as a .40, and I'm running a gun without a comp.

I've got a conversion barrel for it, drops it to 9mm, mounted an RMR on it - and I mostly use it as a carry gun and as a backup to my Carry Optics.

Periodically I shoot it with stock barrel, and I'm reminded how fast and hard hitting that round is, and I think about carrying it in that form factor...
I'm not interested in 357 sig because it looks like a pain, a necked handgun caliber ... ugh.

But, I never shot one, seems like there are probably better options for major, but being able to convert it to 9mm is pretty sweet, I didnt know you could do that.

Generally speaking, yes, but it also depends on the shape of the Gold Cup, and how much work it needed. I traded it to a hobbyist/gunsmith who wanted to play with it. I think we were both happy with the deal.
If you get another Gold Cup that you want to trade for a Glock, please let me know. I don't own any Glocks but I will go out and buy one just to trade it.

I need your help here. I hear the 1911 can shoot down Japanese Zeroes and won 2 world wars, but I also hear Glock is perfection.

Another issue is I am afraid the Glock is a skinflint gun, I dont want people to think I am one of the poors. But Glocks seem to have great ergonomics and there is enough Glock bling in the aftermarket that I could turn it into a non-skinflint gun.

Help me decide which one I should buy.

Ps: 40 is still g@y so don't tell me to get one of those.

To go back to the original post, because as is fairly normal for any thread here - there's been drift. For which I'm happy to say that I've helped.

Anyhow -

Option 1:
Buy both, model them for your "wife" wearing your new tactical onesie and have her tell you which one she wants - you get the one she doesn't like.

Option 2:
Buy neither - it sounds as though what you really want is a HiPoint PCC.

HTH, HAND, YMMV, BLAHBLAHBLAH.

I find 357 Sig recoil to have more juice than 40 recoil but WAY less muzzle flip. It’s like it punches your hand harder but it’s not as “torquey”if that makes any sense.

I'm not interested in 357 sig because it looks like a pain, a necked handgun caliber ... ugh.

But, I never shot one, seems like there are probably better options for major, but being able to convert it to 9mm is pretty sweet, I didnt know you could do that.

The bottleneck cartridge is indeed a pain in the ass to load. Crimp is critical otherwise you get setback on the rounds in the mag as you shoot the first rounds. To convert it to 9mm I swapped in a conversion barrel, (9mm internal, 40/.357sig external diameter), the appropriate recoil spring and magazines.

The frame is the same size as G17, and the magazines are the same size as my G17/G34, so holster and mag carriers/pouches for 17/34 are compatible for 31.

Yes!!! I read through 5 pages to get my confirmation. I saw the original post and thought " A Master Troll is at work here. Let it begin ..."

I dunno. Maybe this one was too sublime.
Wow, I really thought the OP would have given it away.

Glock Bling, shooting down airplanes, Glock perfection ...

Anyway, in case anyone is wondering, I have a couple of 1911.

If you get another Gold Cup that you want to trade for a Glock, please let me know. I don't own any Glocks but I will go out and buy one just to trade it.
I'll keep an eye out for some clapped out gold cups. 🤣

Same and I will buy you an after market trigger for the Glock.

@Cuz

Reloading is a process that came from the world of computers when you had to reload the damn thing every 10 minutes because it gets all messed up. Since guns were invented after computers, we just re-use the terminology.

For example, 1911 has such a small mag, you have to constantly "reload" the mag.

Also, reloading is what you do after you spend $1000 upgrading your $500 Glock, realize it's too gauche and obnoxious looking, you offload it on some poor NESer. After the offload comes the reload: you go buy another Glock, realize how bad it is, and start the upgrade process all over again. Reload!

this is one of the dumbest/ignorant/most uninformed things I've read on NES in 2022.

And I say that even as a guy who doesnt have time to reload anymore. [rofl] but at least I'm not this level of ignorant.
You are not ignorant, you're too dense to realize the entire thread is a dumpster fire joke.

That stupid argument "I don't shoot caliber XYZ because during a shortage it will be harder to find" ... has been beat to death.

This entire time during COVID, 9mm was still cheaper than the other handgun calibers. Maybe for a month or two it was more expensive than some at $0.70/round.

Those that don't reload and those that don't buy enough ammo always get screwed during these times.
Man, there are, like five of you here, who get triggered by a few key phrases. Gosh, this is too easy!

"Reloading is dumb"
"1911 are terrible"
"You break the law, you go to prison"
"40 is a good caliber"
"Ladies are not just for boobies and butt".

Back
Top Bottom