• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GLock 23C - issue cleaning up around vent ports

I have a Glock 23C and am having issue cleaning up the vent ports. Anyone else having this problem? The gun powder residue doesn't seem to clean up in these vents and I'm concerned about pitting.

Also I've heard there is a way to convert the 23 to a 19. Anyone have any info. For target practice, the 9mm is cheaper to shoot.

Dental picks come in handy to get carbon and other fouling from tricky places. Also might be a matter of ammo and oil you use, I also have a 23C and don't have this problem.

Don't dental picks harm the finish? I've often wondered the same thing with how they impact the enamel on our teeth when the Dentist or Hygienist start scratching the plaque off with them.

23c issues

I have a Glock 23C and am having issue cleaning up the vent ports. Anyone else having this problem? The gun powder residue doesn't seem to clean up in these vents and I'm concerned about pitting.

Also I've heard there is a way to convert the 23 to a 19. Anyone have any info. For target practice, the 9mm is cheaper to shoot.

As the other poster said - dental tools work best,and you won't hurt anything. I have a good example here at MFLR where it was not taken care of by a customer - and the bbl is split at the port. You will damage that bbl if you dont keep that clear of lead....[crying]
Jim

Having a little trouble with your acronyms. What's MFLR and bbl stand for?

MFLR - company name (look at his Screen Name)
bbl - abbreviation for barrel

You don't have to scrape so hard to find out what color the metal is, just enough to get the carbon off. Scrape, wipe and repeat until it's clean.

Madrussian - thanks. I was in panic mode, as I thought I had possibly harmed the finish. First gun and all - it's like having my first baby - over analyzing everything I do with it.

Madrussian - thanks. I was in panic mode, as I thought I had possibly harmed the finish. First gun and all - it's like having my first baby - over analyzing everything I do with it.

Oh, I understand how that is. I'm still careful when I clean my guns. My first Glock was about 10 y.o. and not a safe queen, so any scratch I made was just added to the ones made before me. The Glock finish is pretty tough and as long as you don't use sand paper or a file you're pretty much ok (common sense applies).

newenglandguy, what kind of ammo do you use?

Been using Winchester. Is some of this related to a particular brand? Again, I'm just getting started, so I'm probably asking some dumb questions.

The Glock finish is pretty tough and as long as you don't use sand paper or a file you're pretty much ok (common sense applies).

Thats funny I have used my glock as a file, worked good, got a new set of keys and one was just a hair to wide, didn't have a file handy so used the slide serrations on my glock to file down the key.

If you can sharpen you knife on a glock slide why not use the serrations as a file...

Been using Winchester. Is some of this related to a particular brand? Again, I'm just getting started, so I'm probably asking some dumb questions.
I haven't used Winchester in my 23C yet, still finishing off a case or my Remington, haven't had any problems with it yet and fouling isn't bad. Used Winchester in my old Glock 23 along with UMC Value Pacs and Blazer Brass. Cheap stuff but haven't had problems, good enough for the range - accuracy varies.
As long as you don't use non-jacket lead or reloads you're good as far as I know.
Get some of each and try it out, look at accuracy and fouling and decide for your self. All of it is factory ammo and I don't see any of it causing you real problems.

Ask all the questions you want. It's better to learn from someone else's knowledge/mistakes then learn the hard way on your own.

And if I or someone else give you bad advice by accident/ignorance someone else will probably correct it. This forum is a good place to learn.

Thats funny I have used my glock as a file, worked good, got a new set of keys and one was just a hair to wide, didn't have a file handy so used the slide serrations on my Glock to file down the key.
If you can sharpen you knife on a glock slide why not use the serrations as a file...
[laugh2][rofl]
I meant using sand paper and file ON the Glock to clean it. But what you just said just proves my point.

Lone Wolf Distributors makes conversion barrels, as do others.

Your G23 mags should feed 9mm without any problems too.

I've got a 32C (357sig) I use regular 9mm mags...I had issues with the 40 cal/357cal mags feeding when I bought my Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel.

As far as cleaning the ports.....dental pic or toothpick with some cleaning cloth wrapped around it won't harm it.....glock finish is tough.

Back
Top Bottom