• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 36 vs ???

I'm leaning toward buying a new Glock 36 but wanted some other opinions on a compact .45. Thanks

SPringfield XD is a good choice, too. The Glock 36 only carries six rounds, I would go with the Glock 30 that gives you 10 rounds. The glock 30 is only 110grams heavier (ulnoaded comparison), 4mm wider, and 6mm shorter line of sight.

Last edited:
I'm leaning toward buying a new Glock 36 but wanted some other opinions on a compact .45. Thanks

Look at the dimensions of the 36.
It's a sub-compact 45 but it's closer to the dimensions of a compact 9mm glock.

The Glock 30 is more of a sub-compact in my opinion.

I've had the 30, 36, 19, 23, 26. I carry the 26 due to size and weight and round capacity.

I had a g36 and a g30..
I never liked the g36. It was smaller than the g30 but not enough. It was thinner than the 30, but did not feel like a 1911. it was shorter height and length but just not enough.

best thing is to try to compare the 36 to the 30 side by side (if you can). I think most will opt for the 30.. I got my 36 with no point of reference, no 26 or 30 to size it up to. when I got homeand compared it to the two, I was really let down..

glock 36 vs?

I carried a glock 30 as well as several small and full size 1911 .45s. Currently I carry a Khar p45. It's the size of a Glock 26 and carries 7 rounds of .45acp. It's accurate,controllable and has a great trigger. The pm45 which is smaller got an awful review in the latest Guntest magazine but the p45 has none of those faults. Khar's customer service is also the best I've ever experienced. They're even better than Smith & Wesson,which I've always found to be very good.

I had a g36 and a g30..
I never liked the g36. It was smaller than the g30 but not enough. It was thinner than the 30, but did not feel like a 1911. it was shorter height and length but just not enough.

best thing is to try to compare the 36 to the 30 side by side (if you can). I think most will opt for the 30.. I got my 36 with no point of reference, no 26 or 30 to size it up to. when I got homeand compared it to the two, I was really let down..

The G30 is
172mm long
121mm high
32.5mm wide
33.86 oz loaded

The G36 is
172mm long
121mm high
28.5mm wide
26.99 oz loaded

So the g36 is slimmer and had a less round capacity.

I owned mine with pierce extensions so mine was arguably higher than the normal g36. I like the pierce extensions that just curl at the pinky so when you ccw it IWB the butt of the grip doesn't stick out.

The G30 is
172mm long
121mm high
32.5mm wide
33.86 oz loaded

The G36 is
172mm long
121mm high
28.5mm wide
26.99 oz loaded

So the g36 is slimmer and had a less round capacity.

I owned mine with pierce extensions so mine was arguably higher than the normal g36. I like the pierce extensions that just curl at the pinky so when you ccw it IWB the butt of the grip doesn't stick out.

I never did take a measure to it vs the 30. Maybe because it was a bit thinner, it just appeard to be a bit smaller to me. In the end the 36 went, and I still have the 30..

If you want to save a lot of money and don't mind 6 more ounces look at a S&W 457. Very under rated and largely ignored 45 compact.

I had a Glock 30 and perfered my 457. I like the trigger better and I shoot it more accurately. You can pick up a used one for less than $500..

Model: 457
Caliber: .45ACP
Capacity: 7+1 Rounds
Barrel Length: 3 3/4"
Front Sight: Dot Front Sight
Rear Sight: Fixed
Grip: Plastic Grip
External Safety: N/A
Frame: Small
Finish: Blue / Black
Overall Length: 7 1/4"
Material: Alloy
Weight Empty: 29 oz.

Last edited:
My Dad carries a G36, I carry a G30. The G36 feels MUCH thinner to me, after all it's single stack. The G30 feels like a brick. I have a average sized hands and for me, it's night and day; and with the mag extension for the G36 your pinkey doesn't need to hang in space.

However, I carry a G30 because I belive it is more relibale than a G36, which IME, can be very senstive to the shooter's grip. While I think my grip is fine at the range, I think it might not always be perfect in a real-life gunfight.

If I thought the G36 was a reliable as a G30, I'd sell my G30 in a heartbeat. If you trying to decide between the two - you NEED to handle both.

If you want to save a lot of money and don't mind 6 more ounces look at a S&W 457. Very under rated and largely ignored 45 compact.

+1. I owned a 457 for quite some time. Very reliable, and I loved the feel of the single stack. I just can't stand DA/SA triggers, so I had mine converted to DAO by S&W - but by that time I had a become enamored with striker fired pistols, so I sold it. It has very interesting feel to it (top heavy) which I liked very much, great pointer.

Defiantly worth consideration, especially for Class B people

If you trying to decide between the two - you NEED to handle both.

This is the best advice you can get. No matter how many other people like or dislike a particular firearm, it's all in how it works for you. As long as the firearm in question is not a proven POS, it's all in how you can carry and shoot it.

Glock 30 and S&W 457

I currently have a Glock 30 with nite sights. It does not have a rail. I don't carry this gun, it was bought as a house gun because of the 11 round capacity. I love this gun, it's accurate as hell and shoots straight, never a jam. I am having a problem with the space between the mag and butt pinching my finger. It seems to do it with the standard Glock flat bottom mags and not so much when I use the aftermarket pinkie extensions. I need to get to the range more and work out this issue. This is the only problem I have had with the Glock 30 to date. Like all Glocks easy to clean and work on.

I have also owned two S&W 457 and found them to be one of the best hanguns I have ever owned. Never a miss, good sights, reliable and accurate...and....at a very good price. I went for the Glock 30 over the 457 only for the higher capacity.
Both good guns and probably would carry about the same as far as concealability. The Glock seems to handle recoil a little better, but the 457 does not have a bad recoil ...
Either one would be a good choice....Glocks are pricey in MA.

This is a great thread... I know I didn't start it, but I've been thinking about a G36 for a carry gun after firing Vic's at the Milsurp shoot and I appreciate everyone's opinions on the subject. And thanks to the OP for making the thread for me so I didn't have to, hehe.

This is really a tough one.. The nature of the g36 being what it is, you'd assume that it will be a lot smaller shorter lighter than it really is or at least feel a lot smaller. Looking at a spec sheet will never tell you how small or big it will feel in your hands.

I think that if most people were to have a 30 and 36 right next to each other that most would opt for the g30. But, everybody is different and everbody's hands are different..

The state you live in would help a lot with recommendations.

If you can find one, you could also consider a Kahr PM45.

The state you live in would help a lot with recommendations.

If you can find one, you could also consider a Kahr PM45.

I live in Ma but, I am LE so I can get a new glock. I handled a glock 30 yesterday and thought it was good just a bit thick. I think I changed my mind to a Sig 220 Carry, anyone have an opinion on that gun?

Glock 36 hands down.

You cant beat Glocks.... My opinion and nothing more. [grin]

simplest, most effective and easy to shoot combat handgun out there today.

I have many pistols (Sigs, Springfields, 1911s, Brownings, Smiths etc) and love them all and shoot them a lot but me being a Glock armorer / Instructor I recommend them before all else.

as far as safetys go... people that say Glocks dont have a safety........ actually they have 3 safetys.... Trigger safety, firing pin safety and a drop safety and they all work in that order internally. But the most important safety is, "finger out of the trigger until your on target and ready to fire." If you dont pull the trigger it wont go off.

Since you asked thats my opinion nothing more. [smile]

whatever you end up getting..... enjoy it :)

Last edited:
I live in Ma but, I am LE so I can get a new glock. I handled a glock 30 yesterday and thought it was good just a bit thick. I think I changed my mind to a Sig 220 Carry, anyone have an opinion on that gun?

The Sig 220 is certainly a high quality, reliable firearm. I've only fired one once, but I remember it being pretty heavy. Maybe some will chime in with the weight versus a G30?

The Sig 220 is certainly a high quality, reliable firearm. I've only fired one once, but I remember it being pretty heavy. Maybe some will chime in with the weight versus a G30?

I know the Sig is 30.4 oz with mag and the Glock is 23.99 oz. It is a negative for the Sig and the 220 is $300.00 more at my cost and will take 6 to 8 weeks to get. Maybe Ill go back to the G30.......Thanks to all for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom