• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock .380 and .45 practical tactical: 2014 Shot Show

Yeah you make some good points. "useless" probably isn't a good choice of words.

Though I'd say a Kahr PM9 is pretty damn small and there's really no reason a woman couldn't just as easily carry that in her purse than a .380 and shoot the mugger in the face with 9mm +P instead.

A PM9 has a list price of like $780. A Glock will probably have a list price down in the $450 range.

$330 is a lot of money to a lot of people.

I'd be willing to bet that if you gave those prices out to the vast majority of people looking to carry - they'd say "WTF" to the Kahr price and buy the Glock instead.

In the firearms that are small enough to beat a 9mm at concealment, felt recoil in 380 is likely on par with a 9mm.

Probably true in most cases - but at the sales counter the gun shop guy is going to say " .380 has less recoil than 9mm" - and people are going to buy pistols based on that.

Glock is trying to make money - they'll sell pistols based on that alone.

Honestly - after attempting to carry a number of different pistols over the years - I've come down to the realization that - for me at least - a true "pocket pistol" is pretty much the only way I will carry. I hate walking around with crap hanging off my belt. I don't wear a belt. I don't carry a lot of crap in my pockets. I don't carry a cellphone on my pocket. I don't typically wear a lot of bulky clothing. I also don't have a huge enough gut (yet) to justify wearing bulky clothing that would also help disguise a carry gun. Every time I've tried to carry something and REALLY looked at whether I printed or not - I do (print that is).

So something small is pretty much the only way to go - for me. Everybody is different.

I also have made it thru almost 50 years of existence without ever REALLY ending up in situation where I felt "OH SHIT - I wish I had a gun right now". So weighing all of that - I'd pick something in .380 over nothing.

Think of it this way - which way is the pro gun crowd better off - having a whole bunch of people carrying because they can accept carrying something in .380 , or having a substantially reduced number of people carrying because they don't want to try and adapt themselves to a larger bulkier gun?

The more products that are out there that suck more people into carrying the better IMHO.

I don't disagree with any of this, nor your decision. I'm just highlighting why people think that .380 sucks.

I had a Ruger LCP and it served me well, but I found myself not carrying it enough to justify keeping it around. Whenever I can carry I find that I can easily get away with something bigger.

-Mike

Last edited:
A PM9 has a list price of like $780. A Glock will probably have a list price down in the $450 range.

In the rest of the world (eg, not MA) Kahr sells a gun called the CM9 that is the skinflint edition of the PM9 and is at least $200 less. (maybe more, I lost track) It's the same gun, just with a much "cheaper production cost" upper on the top end.

Even then though, Glock will still sell a ton of whatever these are, if anything, because it will probably have the same manual of
arms the bigger Glocks have. That alone is a selling point.

-Mike

I guess if said person doesn't live in MA.

USED glocks in MA go for over 700. New ones, if you can find them are upwards of 800

$330 is a lot of money to a lot of people.

I'd be willing to bet that if you gave those prices out to the vast majority of people looking to carry - they'd say "WTF" to the Kahr price and buy the Glock instead.

USED glocks in MA go for over 700. New ones, if you can find them are upwards of 800

That's your perception, but that's not reality. Reality is they sell from $350-$900 depending on who the buyer and seller are, what model it is, and most importantly, how badly the buyer wants it. Just because someone lists something for $700-$800 doesn't mean it's always going to sell for that. Yes kids, even in MA.

-Mike

only if a blue falcon is selling it. yes there's MA markup, but be reasonable. i sold two glocks in MA for $525. the market will dictate the price, and as we saw with the guy making a thread complaining his $650 glock didn't sell; the MA market is getting better for certain model glocks.

only if a blue falcon is selling it. yes there's MA markup, but be reasonable. i sold two glocks in MA for $525. the market will dictate the price, and as we saw with the guy making a thread complaining his $650 glock didn't sell; the MA market is getting better for certain model glocks.

there's 2 glock 26 gen 4's in the classifieds right now, one at 799 and one at 825. I'm trying to find one at a significantly less retarded price but so far the absolute lowest I've found is 725. Gen 2 or 3 NIB you'd naturally get lower prices...

not disagreeing with you or drgrant, but just pointing out that if a readily-available-in-a-shop Karh PM9 is "too expensive" then a readily available similarly sized glock in MA probably is as well, unless you're willing to spend weeks or months looking for one.

there's 2 glock 26 gen 4's in the classifieds right now, one at 799 and one at 825. I'm trying to find one at a significantly less retarded price but so far the absolute lowest I've found is 725. Gen 2 or 3 NIB you'd naturally get lower prices...

not disagreeing with you or drgrant, but just pointing out that if a readily-available-in-a-shop Karh PM9 is "too expensive" then a readily available similarly sized glock in MA probably is as well, unless you're willing to spend weeks or months looking for one.

Just keep searching. I found a Gen4 G26 for $650.

Last edited:
Why are people so gay for .380?

It's very gay. Everyone will buy one and say that .380 ammo has made leaps and bounds and is every bit as effective as 9mm.

I can see it now, threads will be titled "whats better.380 or 9mm??"

It's the pussification of America moving forward at a death defying rate.

I heard that you need a vagina or a Gay marriage certificate to buy a G42, and its Mass compliant cause Gay marriage is legal here.

Last edited:
It's very gay. Everyone will buy one and say that .380 ammo has made leaps and bounds and is every bit as effective as 9mm.

I heard that you need a vagina or a Gay marriage certificate to buy a G42, and its Mass compliant cause Gay marriage is legal here.

Feel better about your penis size now?

BTW, that Jefferson quote is completely bogus. It might echo his sentiments, but he didn't write like a 21st century teenage girl.

BTW, that Jefferson quote is completely bogus. It might echo his sentiments, but he didn't write like a 21st century teenage girl.

You must love Glocks G42 .380 idea, thats why you deflected to my penis size and a simple quote by Thomas Jefferson, it's just a quote and is only there to echo his sentiments, no more no less.

Lemme guess....you drive a lifted truck with the brass balls hanging from the rear bumper, right?

Oh, and the theory behind quotation marks is that the enclosed words were actually spoken/written by the original source. Pretty sure this is 3rd grade stuff...

Lemme guess....you drive a lifted truck with the brass balls hanging from the rear bumper, right?

Oh, and the theory behind quotation marks is that the enclosed words were actually spoken/written by the original source. Pretty sure this is 3rd grade stuff...

[laugh]

I'll be sure to look up the original quote to satisfy the G42 fanboys.

Somebody should go over to his house and shoot him with something in .380 and see if he man's up or cries like a little bitch.

Nothing else will settle the argument.

[laugh]

I think you hit a gay nerve not a Glock nerve. At least that's how I am reading it...

However let us review some common handgun calibers for gayness:

45 auto - 100 years of big manly thick big bore goodness. Definitely not gay.
44 mag - No limp wristing allowed. No gay allowed either.
10mm - Very manly. Even with more modern loadings it remains very heterosexual.
40 S&W - Bisexual. After a few drinks you may get hit on.
9mm - Not very manly but still has a penis and knows where to put it.
380 auto - Not usually gay, just feminine. Often confused with being gay by the company they keep.
32 acp - Closet homosexual. Has a euro gayness that has been accepted for quite some time.
25 auto - Full on gay. Many won't even admit to shooting one. Easily fits in your pocket. I mean really...

I hope this list helps out folks on both sides of the rainbow.

The responsibility of hitting what you aim at with some level of accuracy is not on the caliber, It is on the shooter. Practice more and the caliber won't need to be held as responsible for that which is the shooters responsibility.

Depends on whether or not the .380 is direct blowback. If it's a direct blowback pistol it'll usually feel worse than a 9mm in the same weight range. Most small .380s are snappy as **** because of that. On the other hand you find a gun like the Sig P238, that has to be the softest recoiling, small semiauto .380 I've ever fired. It's not direct blowback though, to the best of my knowledge. In that comparison, what you're saying makes more sense.

However, if I take an average person and put them on the range with say, a Shield 9mm (with a good, repaired trigger, not a ****ed up MA one or the factory one) and a PPK/s .380, they're probably going to leave that experience hating the shield a lot less, and probably making better hits with it.

-Mike

x100

Hated the ppk I owned for 10 minutes.

[laugh]

I'll help.

Comments: We currently have no evidence that Thomas Jefferson said or wrote, "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" or any of its listed variations.

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/beauty-second-amendment-quotation

Try this one

Thomas Jefferson said:
"No Freeman shall be debarred the use of arms in his own lands or tenements."

x100

Hated the ppk I owned for 10 minutes.

Agreed. I loved and hated mine. I was pretty damn accurate with it, but (it was a s&w) had some nasty edges that ripped up my hand, wasn't that much fun to shoot and wouldn't feed JHP to save it's life. It also had the worst trigger of any gun. Ever. Even my Sigma. I still want another one some day though.

As far as .380? I'd rather have a .380 in my pocket than a .45 in my safe. Come on, you all the the first rule of a gun fight!

Last edited:
In the firearms that are small enough to beat a 9mm at concealment, felt recoil in 380 is likely on par with a 9mm.

Shoot a Sig Sauer P238 and get back to us on how you feel about this post

I don't feel under gunned at all. Single Action, night sights, dead balls accurate, disappears when concealing

jynaguze.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom