• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 50 GI - Who knew?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Not me. Pretty expensive way to get a 50 caliber Glock. Need to buy a custom made 50GI upper for $800 that fits on a Glock 20 or 21 Frame. Ammo is pricy with a box of 20 rounds will drop you a quick $50 for a 300 Gr offering. This round leaves the barrel at 700fps, and hits with almost 370 ft lbs of force. Definitely wouldn't want to be hit with one. From what I've read it shoots like a strong 45 ACP round.

G50.jpg

50 GI.jpg

Not me. Pretty expensive way to get a 50 caliber Glock. Need to buy a custom made 50GI upper for $800 that fits on a Glock 20 or 21 Frame. Ammo is pricy with a box of 20 rounds will drop you a quick $50 for a 300 Gr offering. This round leaves the barrel at 700fps, and hits with almost 370 ft lbs of force. Definitely wouldn't want to be hit with one. From what I've read it shoots like a strong 45 ACP round.

View attachment 753870

View attachment 753872

Isn't the idea to make a more powerful round, not a weaker one? Or at least in SOME measureable way, a better round?

.45 runs 356 to 829 ft-lbs. .50 GI runs 326 to 591 ft lbs? I've heard of "answer to a question nobody asked" but that is more like "answer to a question most people aren't dumb enough to ask"

It's hard to tell definitively from the photos, but those bullets look plated rather than jacketed.

Their photo of bulk bullets is additional evidence - 100% surface coverage. If it they were true jacketed there would be exposed lead at one end of the bullet from swaging the jacket over the lead core.

The arcs in the headstamp are suggestive of Starline brass, however, I don't see that caliber on the Starline site. Perhaps it isn't Starline, or it could be a Guncrafter exclusive to keep the price up and give Guncrafter margin.

But, it would be a good caliber to take the RI carry permit qualification test with.

Last edited:
Isn't this a pretty useful caliber to use for that bullshit Rhode Island pistol permit range test? Where all that matters is the number? Qualify with the Fidy GI and you can carry and shoot the Desert Eagle Point Five OH. Edit, didn't see someone already mentioned this point.

It's hard to tell definitively from the photos, but those bullets look plated rather than jacketed.

Their photo of bulk bullets is additional evidence - 100% surface coverage. If it they were true jacketed there would be exposed lead at one end of the bullet from swaging the jacket over the lead core.

The arcs in the headstamp are suggestive of Starline brass, however, I don't see that caliber on the Starline site. Perhaps it isn't Starline, or it could be a Guncrafter exclusive to keep the price up and give Guncrafter margin.

But, it would be a good caliber to take the RI carry permit qualification test with.
Berry's does make a 300gr .50 caliber bullet, so that's what I expect these are.

I don't see the point of qualifying with anything larger than a .45 because I've long held the belief that there's nothing we would likely encounter around us in the Northeast that would require a larger hunk of lead. The only reason I've been saying I want to qualify with my .54 caliber Lyman pistol is more to be a disruptive individual so as to expose how asinine the range qualification in RI is. Distance to target is 25 yards? Ok, I'll bring a Ruger Super Redhawk with a scope on it in .480, GFY.

Still, I don't see much benefit to a larger than .45 caliber or does something so much better than .45 that I need to have it. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the power the .480 and .500 have, I remember playing SOCOM Navy Seals on PS2 when I was in middle school and would drool over what the Desert Eagle could do, but IRL the .50 caliber is a hassle that doesn't do anything for me other than waving it around at the range to let everyone know I have a .50 and a massively huge penis because, much like buying a 1 ton pickup, buying a .50 caliber handgun makes your dick double in size.

I don't see the point of qualifying with anything larger than a .45 because I've long held the belief that there's nothing we would likely encounter around us in the Northeast that would require a larger hunk of lead. The only reason I've been saying I want to qualify with my .54 caliber Lyman pistol is more to be a disruptive individual so as to expose how asinine the range qualification in RI is. Distance to target is 25 yards? Ok, I'll bring a Ruger Super Redhawk with a scope on it in .480, GFY.

It has nothing to do with practicality. In real life nobody is going to carry that shit. On the other hand, qualing with a 50 is just a giant f*** you/middle finger to the state that has that bullshit, basically. Thats the only reason people do it, hoping that some bureocrat anti sees it and his or her a**h*** puckers a little bit at the fact that theres a citizen that qualed with a 50. [rofl]

Isn't this a pretty useful caliber to use for that bullshit Rhode Island pistol permit range test? Where all that matters is the number? Qualify with the Fidy GI and you can carry and shoot the Desert Eagle Point Five OH. Edit, didn't see someone already mentioned this point.
If you have a Desert Eagle in 50AE, qualify with that. Why build this 50GI?

The 50AE is smooth AF to shoot with factory ammo. Reload for it and could be even smoother.

Back
Top Bottom