• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock found stashed inside DC jail

GSG

In plot to mutually shoot themselves in an attempt to sue the prison/state for unsafe conditions?

[rolleyes]

Last edited:
The caption "Getty Images" is a clue that's a stock photo, not one of the actual gun confiscated.

Clearly I am just having a good time with this one. However, it may be a stock photo, but unlikely if it is not labeled as such. However, the above logic is not valid. Getty is not just a stock house. In the late 90's and early ought oughts, Getty and Corbis bought up a bunch of key agencies that, although they had modest stocks, had the best current news operations. They are not stocks houses any longer.

Stories like this are not what unarmed correctional officers want to read (not that I am one). Glad the weapons were found before they were used.

I remember reading somewhere how one job inmates often have is cleaning law enforcement vehicles both inside and out. That can lead to finding things like ammunition, which can be used for zip guns. Maybe an inmate got lucky and found this pistol.

[ka-boom joke in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 . . . .]

I stumbled upon some sobering statistics relevant to this thread:

99/2000 data, per 100K murder rate in the US: 4.28
99/2000 data, per 100K murder rate in US prison: 5.7 (keep in mind though that this was a HUGE drop from the 1991 9.8 number)

The murder in prison number goes up and down between 5 and 10 over the past 30 years. The broader US murder rate is steadier, but has been declining.

So, here's the kicker - isn't prison the ultimate in gun/weapon control? Yet, you are more likely to be murdered in prison than out?

With some notable exceptions... Namely - DC!

Washington DC's low murder rate of 80.6 per 100000 is due to strict gun control, and Arlington, VA's high murder rate of 1.6 per 100000 is due to the lack of gun control. Statistics showing high murder rates justify gun control but statistics showing ...
http://www.opposingviews.com/questi...s_headlines/40-reasons-to-support-gun-control

You are 8-14 times more likely to be murdered in DC (outside of prison) than you are in US prisons on average (which are themselves more dangerous than the US is on average).

So, here's the kicker - isn't prison the ultimate in gun/weapon control? Yet, you are more likely to be murdered in prison than out?

Prisoners can make weapons from just about anything, or they can beat you to death with their hands/feet.

You are 8-14 times more likely to be murdered in DC (outside of prison) than you are in US prisons on average (which are themselves more dangerous than the US is on average).

I don't even know how to properly react to this. One more reason to stay out of DC? [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom