• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock frame upgrade

Hello, I have a quick question that I couldn't seem to find the answer to when I was using the search function. If I send my gen 2 glock 17 to glock with some small cracks in the frame near the magwell, is it possible for them to change the frame to a gen 3? Or would they have to keep it a gen 2 frame? The cracks are not much of an issue, but it would be nice to be able to get the rails that come with the gen 3's if possible. Also i've read that guns shipped for warranty reimbursement are OK to be shipped by civilians, is this true or do i need an FFL? Thanks!

Give them a call. their technical service group seems very helpful to me when I talk with them. I'm sure they can tell you what they can or can't do. but if you're in MA i'm not sure if they can change a frame since I think that's the part of the gun that's the gun.

Give them a call. their technical service group seems very helpful to me when I talk with them. I'm sure they can tell you what they can or can't do. but if you're in MA i'm not sure if they can change a frame since I think that's the part of the gun that's the gun.
The can legally do it since:

a. Federal law allows replacement for repair purposes without use of an FFL intermediary
b. For the purposes of the AGs regulations, an entity without a MA dealer's license is not a "purveyor" (something cofirmed by the judge at the Glock/AG civil investigation demand hearing) and thus not constraint.

But "Won't" overrides "Can legally do it".

They will likely take care of it and they know they can legally replace the frame. They told me "they would take care of all their customers, even the ones who are unfortunate enough to live in ..."

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Fantastic, so I should request a new frame, and I may or may not have to pay the $100 frame upgrade fee. Does anyone know the answer to the shipping guns for warranty reimbursement question?

Fantastic, so I should request a new frame, and I may or may not have to pay the $100 frame upgrade fee. Does anyone know the answer to the shipping guns for warranty reimbursement question?

Contact Glock and they will tell you what you need to do. They have dealt with it many times before.

Depends where you live. If you are in MA they could send you a 1998 Gen 3 frame but you'll likely have to wait for it.

YMMV

There was a post a year ago or so back that stated that Glock can replace Gen 2 frames with new Gen 3 frames. No need to wait for an old 1998 one. The gist of the thread was the our great AG stated that they could honor their warranty and replace an existing frame that was damaged.

I called glock today and according to them if the frame needs to be replaced and it is under warranty then it can be changed out. If if is due to the customer then the frame can not be changed in MA. I shipped it out to them today so we will find out in a few weeks what the deal is. Thanks to everyone who answered

Glock gave me a call today and said they were going send me a gen 3 frame under warranty. But, they need to ship to an FFL since it is a new serial. It took me a while to find an FFL that would accept the gun, which I found annoying. But needless to say glock's customer service is pretty kick ass. I can't wait to get my pretty much brand new gun back.

Old thread I know, but thought i would update.

I bought a G23 back in 2008. Was stippled by the previous owner. Has been in my safe for years because I just don't dig the stippling.

I recently caught wind of the Gen 2 -> Gen 3 frame upgrade for $100. Would have been happy to pay that for a new Gen 3 frame and live with mismatched serial #s.

Just called Glock and spoke to someone in the warranty group. Said they would not allow me to upgrade due to the fact that I live in MA.

Bummer.

Old thread I know, but thought i would update.

I bought a G23 back in 2008. Was stippled by the previous owner. Has been in my safe for years because I just don't dig the stippling.

I recently caught wind of the Gen 2 -> Gen 3 frame upgrade for $100. Would have been happy to pay that for a new Gen 3 frame and live with mismatched serial #s.

Just called Glock and spoke to someone in the warranty group. Said they would not allow me to upgrade due to the fact that I live in MA.

Bummer.

There are other perfectly legal ways to get a new frame for it, just gotta do your research. Helps to go green.

Back
Top Bottom