• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock serial numbers

Mbous

NES Member
My uncle was at his gun range and a retired MSP guy was there running some sort of qualification so retired LEOs could work details or something like that. My uncle asked the guy about Glocks and owning them in MA. The MSP guy said that civilians could own them but you had to make sure the three serial numbers (frame, slide, and barrel) couldn't be the same. If the gun was examined because it was used in an incident and two of the serial numbers (i.e. barrel and frame or frame and slide) were the same then my uncle would be in serious trouble.

My understanding is this is all a bunch of crap but I wanted to put this out there and ask if there was any validity to this. My uncle is relatively new to owning a gun despite having an LTC for decades. I'm the guy he usually asks questions about firearms.

CRAP

the only SN that counts is the one on the frame

There are hundreds of Glocks with mismatched SN's, and there is no law state or federal that mandates that everything be serialized

Another example of the average Cop being the worst person to listen to as far as gun laws are concerned ( and they are usually the worst shooters)

CRAP

There are hundreds of Glocks with mismatched SN's, and there is no law state or federal that mandates that everything be serialized

Another example of the average Cop being the worst person to listen to as far as gun laws are concerned ( and they are usually the worst shooters)
Slide and barrel serialization is required in some other countries, and is common on European guns.

CRAP

That's what I've found and the idea that none of the serial numbers could match otherwise you'd be in trouble was setting off my bullshit alert.

That's what I've found and the idea that none of the serial numbers could match otherwise you'd be in trouble was setting off my bullshit alert.
If the slide of barrel serial number begins with a single letter it will not match any gun.

My uncle was at his gun range and a retired MSP guy was there running some sort of qualification so retired LEOs could work details or something like that. My uncle asked the guy about Glocks and owning them in MA. The MSP guy said that civilians could own them but you had to make sure the three serial numbers (frame, slide, and barrel) couldn't be the same. If the gun was examined because it was used in an incident and two of the serial numbers (i.e. barrel and frame or frame and slide) were the same then my uncle would be in serious trouble.

My understanding is this is all a bunch of crap but I wanted to put this out there and ask if there was any validity to this. My uncle is relatively new to owning a gun despite having an LTC for decades. I'm the guy he usually asks questions about firearms.

Wait - the serial numbers CAN'T be the same?
This is even more retarded than saying that the serial numbers MUST be the same.
Neither of the statements are true.

The only serial number for a firearm that matters in the US for other than warranty/returns/perceived_value is the one on the receiver, (frame).

The amount of bullshit that's said at gunshops and ranges about firearms laws is unbelievable. I listened to two people today tell a third that if they had a firearm permit in their state of residence, it's accepted at almost every other state in the US. I took a moment later that day to recommend to the the "advised" party that they research "reciprocity".

Wait - the serial numbers CAN'T be the same?
This is even more retarded than saying that the serial numbers MUST be the same.
Neither of the statements are true.

The only serial number for a firearm that matters in the US for other than warranty/returns/perceived_value is the one on the receiver, (frame).

The amount of bullshit that's said at gunshops and ranges about firearms laws is unbelievable. I listened to two people today tell a third that if they had a firearm permit in their state of residence, it's accepted at almost every other state in the US. I took a moment later that day to recommend to the the "advised" party that they research "reciprocity".
The argument the cop is making is that matching numbers means the glock was purchased whole, which he'll claim is illegal in MA. He's completely full of it

The argument the cop is making is that matching numbers means the glock was purchased whole, which he'll claim is illegal in MA. He's completely full of it

Ah.

Still - so what? I move to MA, (in some other alternate universe - not this one), bring my Glocks with me, and privately sell them. Perfectly legal.

So, yes, as you say - "he's completely full of it".

Ah.

Still - so what? I move to MA, (in some other alternate universe - not this one), bring my Glocks with me, and privately sell them. Perfectly legal.

So, yes, as you say - "he's completely full of it".
That's exactly one of the reasons why. But some people need to swing around their imagined authority

No, he’s wrong. The rules on a Glocks are for the dealers not who can own them. If you move from let say NH with your Glocks are you going to play swap the slide with your friends. 90% of the police or retired police do not know the gun laws or regulations are in MA. We had a part time police officer come to the shop telling us one of the full time officers told him part-time officers could not have full capacity magazines only full time can.

The MSP guy said that civilians could own them but you had to make sure the three serial numbers (frame, slide, and barrel) couldn't be the same. If the gun was examined because it was used in an incident and two of the serial numbers (i.e. barrel and frame or frame and slide) were the same then my uncle would be in serious trouble.

face-palm.png

He’s wrong, the “other” serial numbers are not even mentioned in the law.

This is why we don’t ask cops for legal advice.

This is also why we keep our mouth shut during traffic stops about guns in the car, and we don’t consent to searches. Imagine what would happen if this guy pulled you over for speeding, you hand over your DL and LTC and volunteer the information that “the Glock is in the holster”.

Back
Top Bottom