• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GLOCK VS. SIG

I've never owned a Sig, but the one's I've handled have been nice. I prefer the weight and grip angle on the Glocks, though, and Sig doesn't make 10mm.

The 220 is available in 10mm. There are a few floating around and I believe gray guns will do the smithing to build them.

All metal vs. plastic says it all for me. They only plastic one should carry is the plastic in your wallet! I have a safe full of sigs and no glocks!

You know....I used to feel the same way, but they're battle tested. Also, all the critical parts are actually metal. Glocks are new for me, but time will tell. So far I like my new Glock.

The 220 is available in 10mm. There are a few floating around and I believe gray guns will do the smithing to build them.

Yeah, but the price is probably like buying 4 Glock 20 handguns, and since it's custom, you'd probably have to wait months to get it. A P220ST in 10mm is hardly :"common" in any
respect.

-Mike

So Mike....what is your favorite CCW overall???

I've switched several times over the years but that G30SF has been the go-to since this past fall, and I'll probably carry that for the indefinite future. I still like the G19 as well. (It is skinnier than the 30/30SF, which is nice..) I've gone through a bunch of different carry guns but somehow I end up back at a Glock of some kind. I still have a few of the others but they don't get carried very often.

-Mike

has anyone had a SRT trigger done yet? not the short trigger, but the short reset, to reduce travel.

Yup, had one installed on my 229/357Sig. It just makes the trigger reset a lot shorter/quicker than stock on succesive SA pulls of the trigger.

A funny thing I noticed about a Sig with the SRT installed was eventhough the Sig's reset was improved, is still not quite as short as earlier S&W autos (5906, 4506, 59, ect...) they have the shortest reset I've found so far. Also, a stock Glock has close to the same trigger reset as a Sig with the SRT installed.

All that said, I own a few Glocks and a few Sigs, both are excellent quality. IMHO, there is no "be all, end all" this one's better than that one between the two, it comes down to user preference.

All that said, I own a few Glocks and a few Sigs, both are excellent quality. IMHO, there is no "be all, end all" this one's better than that one between the two, it comes down to user preference.
Exactly. They each have their pros and cons, and different folks will decide one way or the other.

Yeah, but the price is probably like buying 4 Glock 20 handguns, and since it's custom, you'd probably have to wait months to get it. A P220ST in 10mm is hardly :"common" in any
respect.

-Mike

Well when I came across them in 07 the price was abut 1800 if I remember correctly. You also had to supply your own stainless frame. Availability is most likely somewhere between a model 17 and 18 so take that for what it is. As for the price it fits in nicely with lots of the custom 1911's.

has anyone had a SRT trigger done yet? not the short trigger, but the short reset, to reduce travel.

I had a 220 that I sent back to Sig for their SRT. It was a really nice improvement over the standard DA/SA trigger.

Now I have a 229 that's been transformed by the magic hands of Bruce Gray at GrayGuns. It has a Sig Short Trigger and the action has the GrayGuns Reduced Reset Duty Action package. The reset is about equal to the SRT, but, it is ridiculously smooth and the pull weight feels slightly lighter.

CCRTT-229R.jpg

I have a glock 26 and 23, and also have a P239 in .357 sig. The sig is just an awesome looking gun in two tone. I also agree with the grip comments for the sig I have crimson trace and houge both great. I actually love the weight of the P239. BUT, I have to tell you I do not know how anybody can justify that mile long sloppy first pull of the sig, is the first pull not the most important? The glocks shoot the same way every time. I love the fit and finish of the sig and it is a great handgun but I just do not understand the trigger system and how such a great company can get away with this? A couple bucks and you can do whatever you want with a glock trigger. The sig pretty much 100 for an srt job and I don't know 50 for a short trigger? I know you said to leave others out but the excuse of double / single does not seem to be a problem for HK.

I've owned 3 Glock 19's and a Glock 27. I currently carry a new P239 with night sights and Hogue grips.

The way I feel about it... Glocks are TOOLS. There's nothin fancy or really attractive about them. They do their job and they do it well. Sigs on the other hand, also do their job well but are a little more "pretty". Sure my P239 is heavier, twice as expensive and holds almost half the capacity of my hi-cap Glock 19. BUT, it has DA/SA which I like and makes me feel a little more comfortable for CCW. It also has the capability of adding different grip panels, which is a nice feature.

In my opinion, I think Glock and Sig are both equal due to the pros and cons of both that even each other out. They both shoot very well and are very durable, dependable firearms. Two thumbs up to both from my first hand experience!

Last edited:
[popcorn]

Keep it up guys. I'm finding this fascinating as I'm going to be looking for my first semi in the next month or so. I'm debating between Sig, Glock, and Beretta.

[grin]

You might want to check out CZ as well. Just got a CZ 75 P-01 (compact 9mm) and it's a great buy. About half the price of a Sig and, from what I've been able to determine in only a week, a truly comparable firearm.

Holy Sh*t BeerGuy, I am drooling over that 229. Please be my friend!

Not sure how I missed this awesome thread. My take: Glocks are ugly. Sorry, I know that's not supposed to matter; I should like them for their personality! Plus I don't like the MA markup. They do have great triggers, though. Not as good as an H&K P7M13, but damn close.

I love Sigs for their grip, their simplicity, and their durability. And maybe I'm old school, but I really like to see the hammer.

I carry a 239 with CT grips and love it. It conceals well on me. (I'm kind of skinny.) The DA first pull takes some getting used to, but it's worth it. I have the parts to go to DAK, but I haven't committed yet.

I've mainly passed on Glocks for carry, because, in all embarrassing honesty, I'm afraid I'm going to shoot myself. That's a terrible thing to admit, I know, but I haven't come to trust the lack of a visible hammer or the trigger safety mechanism enough to holster one IWB. Perhaps if we dated a bit more, I'd be willing to go all the way. [wink]

Holy Sh*t BeerGuy, I am drooling over that 229. Please be my friend!

Not sure how I missed this awesome thread. My take: Glocks are ugly. Sorry, I know that's not supposed to matter; I should like them for their personality! Plus I don't like the MA markup. They do have great triggers, though. Not as good as an H&K P7M13, but damn close.

I love Sigs for their grip, their simplicity, and their durability. And maybe I'm old school, but I really like to see the hammer.

I carry a 239 with CT grips and love it. It conceals well on me. (I'm kind of skinny.) The DA first pull takes some getting used to, but it's worth it. I have the parts to go to DAK, but I haven't committed yet.

I've mainly passed on Glocks for carry, because, in all embarrassing honesty, I'm afraid I'm going to shoot myself. That's a terrible thing to admit, I know, but I haven't come to trust the lack of a visible hammer or the trigger safety mechanism enough to holster one IWB. Perhaps if we dated a bit more, I'd be willing to go all the way. [wink]

I agree with all. It may be silly to be worried about the trigger etc but you know what? If you're not confident in your carry gun, you're not going to carry it. If DA/SA makes your more comfortable then the Glock action then go DA/SA.

You might want to check out CZ as well. Just got a CZ 75 P-01 (compact 9mm) and it's a great buy. About half the price of a Sig and, from what I've been able to determine in only a week, a truly comparable firearm.

Thanks for the suggestion. One of the key things I'm looking at is getting a 22 conversion barrel, which research has shown is made for Glock, Sig, and Beretta (probably many more but those were the ones I was primarily looking at). I went to AFS the past 2 weeks and found that I shoot Glock (17 and 19) much better than the other 2 brands (Sig 226 and Beretta 92FS). I'm sure with practice I could eventually get my level up on any of them though. My one concern is that I really like how I shot the G19, but after about 2 dozen rounds I found my hand was starting to hurt (skin between my thumb and trigger). I didn't find this with any of the other guns.

Though I own and love both Glocks and Sigs, my favorite pistols are my Sig P228 and Sig P225. I also own a 3rd Generation Glock 17 which I shoot often.

I have a 226 with a factory SRT, it is a completely different animal, highly recommended for any Sig. With notice, I would also let anyone try it out at Taunton Rifle and Pistol.

My next handgun would be for carry. I must admit that I never fired a Glock until z0mbi let me shoot two of his at the mansfield shoot. I was pretty impressed. Having said that, I had always planned on a 239 as my next buy. However, the G26 and G30 have really caught my eye. Any words of wisdom from you folks who have shot them? The biggets problem with Glocks is the premium we have to pay here in mAss for 10-12 year old pistols. [crying]

i would like to have the SRT trigger installed, if you could hook me up with him, that would be great!

Last edited:
I love my Sig 239 best. I do have a glock 17, but find that it doesn't fit my hand as well as the Sig. I can shoot both well, but can shoot the Sig all day long, while I can only put in about 100 rounds thru the Glock before my hand gets tired / sore.

This.

But I'll play: I have 2 Glocks and want to get a Sig, specifically a German P6, but my budget is limited right now.
I got a P6 2 weeks ago. It is absolutely the MOST comfortable pistol I have ever held in my hand. It's as if they custom made the grip for me.

I love my Sigs. I just don't like the way the Glocks feel in my hand. To each his own. There is something to be said for the Glock 30 though. Lots of umph in a small package
I too hated the way a Glock felt in my hands. Then I held the G36. Same width as a 1911 and works for me.

I try, thanx! this is turning into a nice thread! no hostility yet. just wait till the 1911 guys chime in i guess!
I'm here.

Already have, but you didn't ask about 1911s. And besides, I don't have to tell you which one I prefer when compared to a 1911.
Six months ago I would have not even opened this thread because I was JMB all the way. Now I carry the G36. Still love my commander, but the beavertail and hammer jab my roll of fat when carrying IWB. No such problem with the striker fire gun.

You know....I used to feel the same way, but they're battle tested. Also, all the critical parts are actually metal. Glocks are new for me, but time will tell. So far I like my new Glock.
Me too.

So to answer the OP, I have to go with my Glock for carry. If I'm going for some play time at the range, I'll take the Sig P6...and the commander...and the Glock...and anything else I feel like shooting.[smile]

Thanks for the suggestion. One of the key things I'm looking at is getting a 22 conversion barrel, which research has shown is made for Glock, Sig, and Beretta (probably many more but those were the ones I was primarily looking at)..

CZ has a 22 conversion for the 75 series... it's called the Kadet. I will be getting one for mine as soon as I save enough pennies ;-)

This is an excellent thread. I have owned 5 Sigs (P226, P225, P6, P220, Mosquito). Then, after a lot of "pain and suffering" with Sig Customer Service, I realized how important CS really counts. Then, I spent a ton of money getting the SRT and trigger jobs done on all my Sigs. Then, I was still not happy because I could not get the service I needed on getting my Sigs done right. BTW, my mosquito was the worst gun I have ever owned. It went full auto on me several times. The finish came off, too. After 42 phone calls (4 months) and memos, they reluctantly replaced it. Then with the fact that I could not get used to DA/SA for IDPA, I made the complete switch. Bore Axis was too high, too.

I now have several Glocks. From CCW to SHTF. And I only own 1911s and Glocks. With Glock, not one "difficult" CS situation. I had to call them 3 times. No long discussions. After I described the problem, they immediately said, "you'll get the part in a few days, n/c." Nice! As fas as DA/SA for IDPA, Glock rules.

My big point is reliability. Let's face it, Sigs and Glocks are not cheap. Major dollars invested for safety. So far, no failures Glock failures whatsoever. And, my buddy is the Sr. Amorer at Hoffman's Guns. I asked him how many M&Ps go back to the Factory for service. He said, "1 - 2 a week." I asked about Sigs? He said, "3 - 4 a month." I asked about Glocks, he said, "only 1 in the last 3 years since he has been with Hoffmans. The Four Season Amorer told me something similar. Glocks go bang every time, even if a spring should break, like the recoil spring, the gun will stil work!

So, long story short. Sig wins the form contest. Looks very right to me. Glock wins the function contest. Wish I could have both, but I'll take function if forced to choose.

By the way, many of my friends feel very differently regarding Sig. As do several decades of German/Europeon Police Officers, that have enjoyed German Engineered P6s for 20 plus years. I have read testimonials from service men all over the world regarding Sig. So, I just acknowledge/respect those who prefer Sig. I'm just sharing one man's journy, my own way of finding my own.
Jack

I have a 226 with a factory SRT, it is a completely different animal, highly recommended for any Sig. With notice, I would also let anyone try it out at Taunton Rifle and Pistol.

My next handgun would be for carry. I must admit that I never fired a Glock until z0mbi let me shoot two of his at the mansfield shoot. I was pretty impressed. Having said that, I had always planned on a 239 as my next buy. However, the G26 and G30 have really caught my eye. Any words of wisdom from you folks who have shot them? The biggets problem with Glocks is the premium we have to pay here in mAss for 10-12 year old pistols. [crying]

I have the G26 and the G30. Super reliable and will feed anything. The G30 is kind of fat, but after a few days of carrying it, you will not notice it. Both have been very accurate, and they are super easy to strip and clean.

I've owned two P220's and they are both gone. Great guns but I like 1911's better.

I've owned four Glocks two are gone but two are here to stay.

I have no desire to own anymore Sigs but there are a couple more Glocks I'd buy if the price is right.

Back
Top Bottom