• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOAL - Call your state senator

Posting an email sent today from GOAL. Hope it isn't against any NES Forum rules.

GOAL Files Senate Budget Amendment -
Seeks Investigation

GOAL would urge all of our members to contact their state senators and ask that they support Amendment # 464 filed by Senator Michael Knapik.

May 20, 2013
Gun Owners' Action League.
Please Call Your State Senator Today - Ask For Their Support
Dear GOAL Members,

On behalf of GOAL, Senator Michael Knapik of Westfield has filed an amendment to the FY2014 Senate budget on behalf of GOAL. The amendment would instruct the Massachusetts Inspector General's Office to conduct a thorough investigation into the failure of the Massachusetts firearm licensing system.

For over a year GOAL has been attempting to go through channels to address the many problems with the Commonwealth's firearm licensing system. One of the major problems we have run up against is that no one is in charge of the system, or at least no one wants to take responsibility for it. This type of government failure is never acceptable, but it is especially abhorrent when certain entities choose to ignore the problems and yet call for more regulation on our Second Amendment civil rights.

GOAL would urge all of our members to contact their state senators and ask that they support Amendment # 464 filed by Senator Michael Knapik.

Find your State Senator here.

Firearm License Renewal Study - Amendment #464A

Mr. Knapik moved that the bill be amended by inserting, after section 144, the following new section:-

SECTION XX. Notwithstanding any general or special law to the contrary, the inspector general shall conduct an investigation and study of the Massachusetts firearm licensing system administered under the authority of the executive office of public safety and security firearms records bureau. The study shall be financed with funds from the Firearms Record Keeping Trust Fund, established in section 131, subsection (i) of chapter 140 and the Firearms Fingerprint Identity Verification Trust Fund, established in section 2LLL, chapter 29 of the General Laws.

The investigation shall identify the length of processing applications for Licenses to Carry Firearms and Firearm Identification Cards, the responsibility of oversight and authority of the state over the system, the process for recording denials and/or restrictions of licenses or cards, the notification of applicants specifically outlining the reasons for any such restrictions or denials, and appeals and compliance with all state and federal laws and mandates. The inspector general shall report any preliminary findings to the secretary of public safety and security, the joint committee on public safety and homeland security and the joint committee on state administration and regulatory oversight on or before October 30, 2013, and issue a final report on or before March 1, 2014. Said report shall be made available to the public through websites operated by the executive office of public safety and security and the legislature.

Thank you.

GOAL

Here is Jennifer Flanagan's non-answer.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Thank you for taking the time to email me regarding Senator Knapik’s amendment regarding the state firearm licensing system. I will be sure to keep track of the amendment during the budget debate and I appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention.

Respectfully,

Jennifer L. Flanagan
State Senator
Worcester & Middlesex District

There's true representation for you, isn't it?
I'm sure that lots of other constituents had already contacted her to request that she NOT support this bill (sarcasm)

Flanagan is very pro gun.

sent via carrier pigeon from a secret squirrel camp

True, she is good on gun rights and I think she usually hosts the legislative days at the club.

I just wished, and I know I'm dreaming, that a politician answered a Yes or No question with either a Yes or a No.

UPDATE:

I asked Jennifer Flanagan to clarify her noncommittal response, received this today.

I will be in support

Jennifer L. Flanagan
State Senator
Worcester & Middlesex District

Back
Top Bottom