GOAL Intro to IDPA

G

GOAL C.M.

5600_121986444410_588604410_2213350_1407206_n.jpg

Intro to IDPA

The GOAL Foundation is pleased to announce an introductory course for the shooting sport of IDPA. The International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) is the governing body of a shooting sport that simulates self-defense scenarios and real life encounters. It was founded in 1996 as a response to the desires of shooters worldwide. This event will be held on September 19th from 9:00am to 5:30pm at GOAL headquarters in Northboro with live fire at the Worcester Pistol & Rifle Club. Participants will be provided with a strong foundation of skills and knowledge used in the sport of International Defensive Pistol competition.

Participants are required to have the following:

Centerfire revolver or semi-automatic handgun 9mm or larger
A plastic or leather strong side belt mounted holster. Avoid retention straps and snaps
Belt mounted double magazine or speedloader holder
3 magazines or speedloaders
200 rounds of ammunition
A vest or shirt that covers the holstered gun
Eye & ear protection
Baseball cap
Brown bag lunch

Please contact Jon Green with additional questions. Visit www.IDPA.com to learn more about equipment and competing successfully in IDPA matches.

Tuition is $40.00 for GOAL members and $100.00 for non-members. Pre-registration is required as seating is limited to 12 people. Please call the office at 508-393-5333 to register with a charge or debit card. Any staffer can assist with registration.

Check out this great review from our most recent "Intro to IDPA" Class.

"If you want to take a practical, high-value course, then I recommend GOAL's Introduction to IDPA. Jon Green delivered a concise, informative discussion of the basics. Then, we headed out to the range for safety briefings, skill drills, and actual scenarios. Three experienced IDPA competitors taught me and my classmates some useful techniques and tactics. I got lots of help in improving my draw. Within a few hours, I was hooked. I attended the next match at Worcester Pistol & Rifle Club, and I will be joining IDPA soon. As a GOAL member, I paid only $40 for the course, but I think it was worth hundreds more."

-A.F. Massachusetts

Next one is September 19th, sign up quick!

Due to cancellations we have FOUR open spots for the September 19th class, give Tara a call at the office, first come first serve, hurry they wont last!

Tara 508-393-5333 x203

Hey all, I just got into this class at the last minute and have a question. I'm wondering if anyone has specific recommendations for acceptable holsters for IDPA. Currently I own a Galco leather holster with a thumb snap release. I also own a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB with no retention strap. I am wondering if either of these would be acceptable for IDPA and if not what specific recommendations people might have that won't set me back to much $$$. Thanks!

Hey all, I just got into this class at the last minute and have a question. I'm wondering if anyone has specific recommendations for acceptable holsters for IDPA. Currently I own a Galco leather holster with a thumb snap release. I also own a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB with no retention strap. I am wondering if either of these would be acceptable for IDPA and if not what specific recommendations people might have that won't set me back to much $$$. Thanks!

If you have the thumb strap you have to use it. If you are comfortable drawing and holstering with the supertuck you should be fine. If you're not, you may want to consider an OWB kydex. What gun are you shooting? You may be able to borrow one.

For the purposes of the class, I'd think the Galco would be better, just leave it unsnapped. You'll need to have a holster that allows you to easily and quickly get the gun out of the holster (getting it back in is of lesser concern, as that is done 'off the clock'). A decent kydex OWB holster, or a leather OWB with a reinforced mouth, would be ideal. My girlfriend ran the class with a leather OWB holster with straps, she left the straps unsnapped and did just fine. Use what you have, and then once you get a feel for what you'll be doing, look into new stuff if you think you need it.

ETA: eisenhow beat me to the punch...for actual matches, you'll have to hook up the straps, but a certain amount of leeway was given in the class for the purposes of learning.

For the purposes of the class, I'd think the Galco would be better, just leave it unsnapped. You'll need to have a holster that allows you to easily and quickly get the gun out of the holster
Thanks guys. I will use the Galco since that is my preferred carry rig already. I only bought the Crossbreed for use during the summer when clothing is lighter.

What gun are you shooting? You may be able to borrow one.

I'm shooting a G23.

Thanks guys!

I have to bail.

I have been dealing with a nasty food poisoning experience in the past few days and am not fully recovered.

I can not remember if I am paid in full or not but if I am, keep it as a donation to GOAL.

--------

Giving away my paid spot in a Karma in the Members section.

Last edited:
Thanks to Jon and the volunteer SO's for a great class. Had a ton of fun, learned a lot and met some great people! Highly recommend the class to anyone who is thinking about IDPA. Counting days until Oct. 9th now to try my first match. :)

I had a great time as well! Thanks to Jon and to the RSOs for a great class. I've learned that I'm not as good as I thought I was from shooting static shots at circles on the range. I've got some practicing to do!

Reptile, thank you for offering up your slot; I'm sorry you couldn't go... I'll have ammo available in your favorite caliber at the Shoot-B-Q for you.

I had a great time as well! Thanks to Jon and to the RSOs for a great class. I've learned that I'm not as good as I thought I was from shooting static shots at circles on the range. I've got some practicing to do!

Reptile, thank you for offering up your slot; I'm sorry you couldn't go... I'll have ammo available in your favorite caliber at the Shoot-B-Q for you.

Thanks, Rich!

Looks like you all had a great time!

People must have forgotten that this weekend was Easter, we just had 5 cancellations for this Saturday's class! (April 23rd)

If you would like to fill one of these spots, please give Tara a call 508-393-5333 x203

Thanks!

I signed up for the May 28 intro to idpa. Will I get an email confirming my enrollment and when/where to meet? thanks

We have some openings for our 9/24/11 Intro to IDPA class, sign up and get out, enjoy the beautiful Fall weather and get a great intro to the action shooting sports!

Call Tara, 508-393-5333 x203 to sign up.

I took the class on the 24th - it was awesome. Well worth the money. I learned a lot from Jon and had a great time doing it. Met a lot of cool people too.

Back
Top Bottom