GOAL supported the MA AWB along with Romney ?

FalArAk

NES Member
Click

Romeny gets completely owned here,but at the end it gets really interesting.

According to Romney,he was urged by GOAL to sign the AWB because it eased up on licensing requirements.He signed the AWB with the blessings of the president of GOAL at the time ?

I'm guessing since he is a politician he is lying,but why would he mention GOAL as being instrumental in making up his mind to sign the extension ?

Posted by GOAL:

"If anyone is interested, the following link is a document that GOAL prepared for the NRA and our sister state associations in regards to Romney's record here in Massachusetts. Just for the record, he did NOT sign an extension of the assault weapons law in Massachusetts even though he says he did. The assault weapons law in Massachusetts never sunsetted and therefore never "needed" to be extended. To this day I have no idea why he thinks he did.

http://www.goal.org/romneyrecord.htm

But why did MA author an AWB in 1998 when the Federal AWB was still in effect ?

Because the Federal law had a "sunset" clause, of course. [rolleyes]

Note that Romney did NOT sign Chapter 180; he signed the pointless regurgitation of the AWB in it. That was part of Chapter 150 of the Acts of 2004, which also gave us some benefits:

1. The FLRB;

2. The 50% increase in license terms ( 4 to 6 years); and

3. A license that would actually fit in a wallet w/o trimming.

Last edited:
2004 "Ban" Was a Hoax

There have been a few questions about what happened in the 2004 Reform Act in regards to “Assault Weapons” so I will try to give all concerned a statutory explanation. (This will not be a short post.)

As we all know the federal ban was scheduled to sunset in 2004 because the anti-civil rights crowd could not provide any evidence that the ban had any positive effects on gun crime. While GOAL was moving our reform bill through the State House, our opposition was going out of their minds because they were about to face a major public relations set back. As our bill went through the normal processes, the anti-civil rights organizations asked for an amendment changing the definitions law in Massachusetts.

At this time it is important to make it very clear that the Massachusetts Assault Weapons ban law was and is Chapter 140, Section 131M. That law never had any sunset clause in it at any time and does not mention the federal law at all. The only mention of the federal law is in the definitions section of the state laws.

Chapter 140: Section 131M. Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement.
The two sections that the antis wanted to add were as follows.
SECTION 2.Said section 121 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by inserting after the figure "921(a)(30)", in line 21, the following words:- as appearing in such appendix on September 13, 1994.
SECTION 3. Said section 121 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by inserting after the figure "(31)", in line 58, the following words:- as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994.
When GOAL was considering these amendments the first thing we had to consider was that the state law did not have a sunset clause in it and we did not have the votes to repeal the ban. Secondly, the state already referenced the federal definition within the state definition of “Assault Weapon” in Chapter 140, Section 121 and again we were not going to be able to remove it. The only thing the antis wanted to add to the state definition was the language “as appearing in such appendix on September 13, 1994”. Their spin on this was that without this amendment, the Massachusetts ban would expire along with the federal bill. This was absolute garbage!

When GOAL looked at these amendments and consulted some legal advisors our conclusion was that regardless if these amendments were allowed, it was likely that any Massachusetts liberal judge was going to rule that the state ban still included the definitions from the federal 1994 language. Even worse, if we didn’t allow the amendments and a judge thought it was now vague, it would be very likely that the judge would produce a ruling making things much worse.

The other part of their amendment dealt with Appendix A of the federal law 18 U.S.C. section 922. This appendix contained a list of hundreds of guns that were exempt from the ban. It was certainly fine with us if they wanted to make these exemptions clear. (The following link will bring you to the old law with the appendix intact. http://trac.syr.edu/laws/18USC922.html)

So the conclusion was:

1. Their argument that the state ban was going to sunset was simply a lie.
2. Their amendments would have no practical effect on the existing law.
3. Their amendments might actually save our members from getting caught in a messy court battle that would most likely make things worse than they are now.
4. If we fought against the amendments we would likely lose the whole bill and possibly have something nastier pass as a result.

So knowing we would only be faced with the status quo and the state ban was going to remain anyway, we agreed to their amendments. As a result, when the bill passed there was no change in the state law, there was no change in the state definition. The only downfall was that the antis were able to spin it in the Globe so it looked like they had successfully saved the ban in Massachusetts.

While that was a tough pill for me to swallow and I still get grief from our people around the country who believed the Globe and believe that I supported a ban, it is simply something people in my position have to expect now and then. Faced with the same decision and knowing I would still get hammered from some of our own, I would still make the same the decision. All you have to do is meet just one of the people that got their rights back as a result of that new law and you will see how the grief and lies are all worth it. Perhaps in a small way I understand how Wayne LaPierre feels when he has to make decisions knowing he is going to get attacked by his own people who simply don’t understand.

In any case, I hope this explains the situation.

I know some people are asking, if this true, why is Mitt still saying he signed a ban? Darn good question.

Chapter 140: Section 121. Firearms sales; definitions; antique firearms; application of law; exceptions

Section 121. As used in sections 122 to 131P, inclusive, the following words shall, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, have the following meanings:-
“Assault weapon”, shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as: (i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9 and M-12; (vi) Steyr AUG; (vii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (viii) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as, or similar to, the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; provided, however, that the term assault weapon shall not include: (i) any of the weapons, or replicas or duplicates of such weapons, specified in appendix A to 18 U.S.C. section 922 as appearing in such appendix on September 13, 1994, as such weapons were manufactured on October 1, 1993; (ii) any weapon that is operated by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that has been rendered permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a semiautomatic assault weapon; (iv) any weapon that was manufactured prior to the year 1899; (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable assault weapon; (vi) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or (vii) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine.

All of what GOAL says is absolutely true, however, the one result of 2004 reform to the 1998 law that I found very disappointing was that OUR organization made a public statement that a law that contained a specific ban on certain types of guns was a "good law". I would have preferred that GOAL admit we were soundly defeated on this issue and be honest about their complete incapability to mitigate the serious damage in this area.

We got nothing meaningful in the 1998 law except a partial reversal of territory recently taken (the FLRB); an increase in license terms that reduces the 400% increase in the annual license cost to a mere 266%, a more convenient license size and, if my memory serves correctly, restoration of a grace period we lost and a free replacement license in the event of loss. Other than the smaller license size (which was a byproduct of the MIRCS system, not something done for the gun owners) and the free replacement license, everything we gained was a mere subset of what we previously had.

The 1998 "victory" was merely recovering a very small part of the territory that had recently been taken from us and, as such, is a "victory" in the same way that it is a "victory" if you have 10 guns burgled from your house and the police recover 6 of then for you.

Last edited:
All of what GOAL says is absolutely true, however, the one result of 2004 reform to the 1998 law that I found very disappointing was that OUR organization made a public statement that a law that contained a specific ban on certain types of guns was a "good law".

I know that GOAL people have stated that the 2004 changes made to the 1998 law were good; I seriously doubt that you can point to any statement by GOAL that the 1998 law as a whole was good or that the ban included in it was good.

The issue at hand was getting some improvements made to that law, which we did. Of course we didn't get the entire thing repealed, so I guess in that sense it was a defeat. In the same sense I suppose getting a $5 for life shall-issue concealed carry law would also represent a defeat, since we still have to get a license. Even if we went to a nationwide Vermont-style approach, that too would be a defeat, due to the NFA regulations of machine guns, silencers, etc. If you look hard enough, you can always find the cloud in every silver lining. Maybe if you push your legislators hard enough, they'll get a bill passed that would remove the grace period, eliminate the FLRB, up the cut the license period to four years, remove the list on guns that can't be considered "assault weapons" and drop the meaningless reference to September 13, 1994. If putting those things in was a defeat for us, then getting rid of them would have to be a victory, no?

Ken

Of course we didn't get the entire thing repealed, so I guess in that sense it was a defeat.

My point is GOAL has limited damages but, since 1998, the only question has been "how much have we lost".

I don't have the article to provide proof, but I remember GOAL saying "this is a good law", not "this law has come good provisions but we are vigorously opposed to the AW provision".

An additional issue with regard to Romney is that he ignored GOAL and its assistance and used the signing to surround himself with gungrabbers in a blatant attempt to suck up to the soccer moms and other nimbyists

An additional issue with regard to Romney is that he ignored GOAL and its assistance and used the signing to surround himself with gungrabbers in a blatant attempt to suck up to the soccer moms and other nimbyists
+1
To this day I have no idea why he thinks he did.
Because it was popular to have been thought to have done so. That's what politicians like him do, whatever is popular at the moment in order to get to the next level.

Last edited:

That was a strategically wise move on his part, since it helped keep him off the banners radar screen and GOAL still touts how great Romney was.

What I don't understand is if this is true,why his handlers haven't shut him up about signing ,extending or whatever the hell he did with the MA AWB.To this day,he still says he signed an AWB.A supposed Republican to brag about banning guns during a presidential race seems kind of stupid.

Romney may be a lying sack of shit,but he doesn't strike me as being stupid.

Regardless of Romneys position and GOAL's lobbying efforts, Romney is full of shit in at least one statement (or at least misleading)..."And by the way, at the signing of the ceremony, the head of the Gun Owners Action league was there encouraging that same bill"...

Firearm Reform Bill Signed

Romney Takes Opportunity to Betray Gun Owners

On July 1, 2004 , Governor Mitt Romney signed into law one of the greatest of reforms to Massachusetts gun laws in recent history. In what should have been a day of celebration for GOAL and its members, the Romney administration took a major shot at lawful gun owners and showed their true colors.

GOAL Director of Legislative Affairs Jim Wallace was invited to attend a ceremonial bill signing at 10:30 AM Thursday in the state house press room. Several of the reform bill�s supporters and the entire state house press corps were at the gathering.

In a move that shocked many in the room, Lieutenant Governor Kerry Healey began the ceremony by hailing this bill as ��an important victory against crime.� The Lieutenant Governor went on to say, �The most important job of state government is ensuring public safety. Governor Romney and I are determined to do whatever it takes to stop the flood of dangerous weapons into our cities and towns and to make Massachusetts safer for law-abiding citizens.�

After the Lieutenant Governor�s shocking and insulting comments, she then gave John Rosenthal, of Stop Handgun Violence, an opportunity to address the press corps. Of course, Mr. Rosenthal took the opportunity to put his spin on the bill as �gun safety legislation.� During his remarks he stated. �We�re not taking guns away from anyone except assault weapons and cheaply made Saturday Night Specials.� Romney officials also gave Mr. Rosenthal an entire paragraph in their official press release, while GOAL was not even mentioned.

After the �stage� had been set, Senator Stephen Brewer and Representative George Peterson were allowed to say a few words. These longtime friends of gun owners spoke on the importance of the reforms the bill made. �This change will go a long way toward fixing the flaws created by the 1998 law,� said Representative George Peterson.

Governor Romney then took the podium to make a few remarks before signing the bill. Although the Governor did make mention of being a �sportsman� and the reforms in the bill that would help other sportsmen, he spun the bill as a ban.

�Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts ,� Romney said. �These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.�

When asked by a reporter if he supported the renewal of the federal �assault weapons� ban and if he had spoken to the senators about it, Governor Romney replied that it was not really his job to lobby on federal legislation, but that he shared Senator Kerry�s and Senator Kennedy�s position on the issue!

At no time during the ceremony was the GOAL representative asked to speak and set the record straight on what the bill actually did, nor was GOAL even mentioned in the Governor�s press release. GOAL and its members can only take this display as a complete insult to the lawful gun owners and the hard work that went into making reforms happen.

As our members know, S.2367 did not ban a single gun because the Massachusetts �assault weapons� law, unfortunately, does not expire with the federal law. The bill signed by the Governor actually protects Massachusetts gun owners with a permanent reference to federal definitions that provide them with a list of exempt firearms that numbers nearly 700.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040718190839/www.goal.org/Alerts/reformbillsigned.html

Okay,so let me get this straight..Prior to the Federal ban on assault weapons,MA had no laws on the books regarding the sale or possesion of them,correct ? I have been in MA since 2000,so I have no ideas of the laws that were around before I got here.

!994 rolls along and there is a Fed ban.

1998 comes along and a bill is signed that basically mirrors the fed ban and now MA has a ban with out a sunset.Included in that bill was a supposed victory for gun owners.

What the hell was it that was signed in 1998 that wasn't an extension of the AWB with the blessings of the gun rights groups ? Wasn't it also in 1998 that the handgun list was also established ?

Last edited:
Okay,so let me get this straight..Prior to the Federal ban on assault weapons,MA had no laws on the books regarding the sale or possesion of them,correct ? I have been in MA since 2000,so I have no ideas of the laws that were around before I got here.

!994 rolls along and there is a Fed ban.

1998 comes along and a bill is signed that basically mirrors the fed ban and now MA has a ban with out a sunset.Included in that bill was a supposed victory for gun owners.

Political reality... if the votes and support aren't there to begin with, what other options do we have?

Put in another perspective... what are the chances or support that the Utah, Wyoming or Alabama legislature would pass a Gay Pride Day proclamation or equal marriage amendment?

We're just unfortunate to live in a decidedly Democrat/Liberal/Blue state (f***... our entire delegation to Congress is all Dems)... that will never change.

Sometimes you have to eat shit, take your lumps and go for the best deal you can get.

It sucks big time, but that is the reality.

What the hell was it that was signed in 1998 that wasn't an extension of the AWB with the blessings of the gun rights groups ? Wasn't it also in 1998 that the handgun list was also established ?

Yep... we got shafted royally, but all things considered, at least we're not in the same position as CA, NJ, HI IL or DC. Things could be worse... much worse.

Up until now, I didn't know that you're a recent transplant.

Politics in MA has always been old school deal making and back room negotiations (like Tammney Hall days), oftentimes guided by a few powerful individuals that set the agenda (Dukakis, Billy Bulger, Tom Finneran). On the national level... Kennedy, Kerry, Frank, Tip O'Neill, etc.

Things will never change in this state until the power structure is broken.

It sucks, but you work with what you have to. [sad2]

Last edited:
Okay,so let me get this straight..Prior to the Federal ban on assault weapons,MA had no laws on the books regarding the sale or possesion of them,correct ?

So far.

!994 [sic]rolls along and there is a Fed ban.

WRONG
. There was NOTHING in the 1998 that benefited us. Period.

The bill discussed in this thread is the 2004 legislation; Chapter 150 of the Acts of 2004. THAT is the legislation which contained the mindless regurgitation of the already-existing AWB, together with the creation of FLRB, the extension of the license period, the intelligently-sized license and the restoration of the 90-day grace period.

AWB

what puzzles me more is with 1.5 million Mass licensed gun owners before 1998 and only 200,000 now where did the 2nd amendment proponents go to.how many people vote in the elections.no gun owners out of Mass can understand how the state got so anti gun.it started in the 1950s when the rifle teams were taken out of the schools.I was in the Malden High rifle team.no one in city hall there remembers the teams.[smile] [rolleyes]

The bill discussed in this thread is the 2004 legislation; Chapter 150 of the Acts of 2004. THAT is the legislation which contained the mindless regurgitation of the already-existing AWB, together with the creation of FLRB, the extension of the license period, the intelligently-sized license and the restoration of the 90-day grace period.

Okay,my bad.

So the bottom line is Romney,together with GOAL, didn't sign a weapons ban in 2004 that included 4 things that are being touted as a victory for gunowners.

Romney says he signed it,GOAL says he didn't.

I fail to see how banning weapons is a good thing for gunowners.IMO,we gave them a lot and got back very little in return.

Login I totally agree.Of all the so-called 'ban states',we actually have it pretty good.If it wasn't for the ban on supressors it wouldn't be half bad here.

Last edited:
Nothing in any bill being considered in Massachusetts is going to be a benefit to lawful gun owners except the bill proposed that does not allow them to take your arms during a state of emergency. Every bill proposed takes more rights away from lawful gun owners or is some mindless attempt at pacification of the gun grabbers.

For God's sake, look who got voted in as govenor! How could it be worse except for a Kennedy or Kerry?

Hello! Is anybody in there? They want to take your guns away along with any other means of self defense you might possibly ponder. Just take a look at the amount of weapons Mass regulates or bans from Mace to Tasers to double edge knifes ..... Get the picture!

Back
Top Bottom